The Golden Age of comics19

Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1776 IP   flag post

Post 1777 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger

Kewl Schomburg mayhem on that cover, Badger. All New Comics deserve more love!

Here's #9...

Alas, I don't have #8, which is probably by Schomburg as well, but I do have a copy of #10...

Post 1778 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
New addition to my pile of comics.
Anchors Andrew #1 1953

Highest graded of this book is a 5.5, surprisingly hard to find in high grade. Has an early Canteen Kate story. Canteen Kate #1 came out only 6 months earlier.
After a quick press and clean I think this will well surpass the 5.5 out there.

Post 1779 IP   flag post
So many WINNERS in this thread. Speaking of which, here's another...

Post 1780 IP   flag post

Cap, Torch & Subby are a tough act to follow, but Quality had an "A" team and a BEE team...

Post 1781 IP   flag post
After The Red Bee, there was Neon the Unknown...

Post 1782 IP   flag post
...supported by the awesome might of Hercules ...

Post 1783 IP   flag post
Captain Accident the420bandito private msg quote post Address this user
I bought a pile of misc books last week and this was in there. I cannot stop laughing at the premise on the cover.

Post 1784 IP   flag post
Jack Cole and the art of flexibility; definitely A VITAL BOOK!

Post 1785 IP   flag post
Quote:

I share Badger's taste in Schomburg Timelys, including this bizarre cover.

There's a whimsical aspect to Bucky being kidnapped by little green aliens wearing armor (shades of Marvin the Martian). And what's goin' on with that icey polar landscape? Definitely an odd concept, but neat. I suppose Cap needed the Torch & Toro on hand just to thaw his sidekick out.

Definitely a chilling cover! And one of my faves too.

Post 1786 IP   flag post
Blackhawk wasn't horsing around when he made this leap...

Post 1787 IP   flag post
Here's another great line of comics that deserve more love.

Early PEPs had some pretty solid art and stories, with covers and interior art by Irv Novick. PEP also featured Jack Cole's Comet, and a variety of other character driven pre-Archie features. Archie's success would eventually change the main focus of PEP from hero to teen humor.

The first ten issues developed Novick's dynamic super G-Man the Shield. The 11th issue added Dusty, the Shield's kid side-kick. Kid hero mentoring was a popular convention of the era following in the steps of Batman's ward Robin (Dick Grayson).

This issue, PEP #10 is the last solo outing for the Shield:

Post 1788 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Post 1789 IP   flag post
Don't see this title too often

Post 1790 IP   flag post
That's a very kewl rarity, earthshaker! Was it a promotional give away or sold on the newsstand? Comics based on popular newspaper strips like Dick Tracy sold quite well in the GA.

Criminal masterminds such as Sax Rohmer's Fu Manchu were also prominent features in early GA books. This pre-Bats 'Tec #18 (Church copy, cover art by Creig Flessel) is one of my all time favorites...

Post 1791 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Amazing books guys. You all are bringing your 'Sunday Best'. Let's get a Centaur in the mix
Post 1792 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
Quote:

I share Badger's taste in Schomburg Timelys, including this bizarre cover.

There's a whimsical aspect to Bucky being kidnapped by little green aliens wearing armor (shades of Marvin the Martian). And what's goin' on with that icey polar landscape? Definitely an odd concept, but neat. I suppose Cap needed the Torch & Toro on hand just to thaw his sidekick out.

Definitely a chilling cover! And one of my faves too.

To make it even more I always thought it was an alien moon because of the curvature to the background.
Post 1793 IP   flag post
HIT Comics #26 with a classic Ruben Moreira cover (one of the two I'm aware of that he did for Quality)...

Signing as Rubimor, Ruben took over the Sunday Tarzan newspaper strip from Burne Hogarth in '45. His comic book work in the GA started with Reef Ryan in Planet Comics ('42). He also illustrated stories in Wings, Fight & Rangers Comics for Fiction House. Toward the end of the 40's he co-created Roy Raymond for DC, which he worked on until retiring from comics altogether in '62. Note: He also co-created Rip Hunter with Jack Miller for DC in the late 50's.

Probably a lot more info than anyone wanted to know!
Post 1794 IP   flag post
Alex Schomburg's first Marvel Mystery Comics cover, with a strong pulp horror influence...

Post 1795 IP   flag post
I don't know much about comics regarding who drew what, or the inkers, or writers, but I do know this is a cool cover and the best example I have ever personally found. Captain Rocket #1
Post 1796 IP   flag post
Here are a couple highest graded #1's with some seriously yellow covers.

Post 1797 IP   flag post
Look a flying dog. It's Underdog...well maybe not, but it's a cool #1 with glasses attached.

Post 1798 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 All very cool. Eye popping, especially with 3D glasses included. Funny animal books may not be everyone's cuppa, but it's a wonderful genre with lots a great GA art by a wide range of talented folks. Love the Captain Rocket, that one doesn't pop-up often.

Conversely, the depth of my collection is narrowly focused: high grade, art centered & predominantly costumed heroes. Stylistically, the GA artists whose work impresses me most are Alex Schomburg, Reed Crandall, Lou Fine and Jack Kirby, but there's so much other great work flying under the radar.

It's great seeing more obscure titles posted here.
Post 1799 IP   flag post
Following up on the earlier pulp influenced Schomburg Marvel Mystery cover is this gem from early 1940, Mystic Comics #1. This one was actually lifted (& reversed) from a Spider pulp cover by another artist, circa '39. Ironically, Alex's cover would be swiped by yet another artist for a third Mystic Comic cover, albeit rendered in a more cartoonish manner.

Post 1800 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
@earthshaker01 All very cool. Eye popping, especially with 3D glasses included. Funny animal books may not be everyone's cuppa, but it's a wonderful genre with lots a great GA art by a wide range of talented folks. Love the Captain Rocket, that one doesn't pop-up often.

Conversely, the depth of my collection is narrowly focused: high grade, art centered & predominantly costumed heroes. Stylistically, the GA artists whose work impresses me most are Alex Schomburg, Reed Crandall, Lou Fine and Jack Kirby, but there's so much other great work flying under the radar.

It's great seeing more obscure titles posted here.

Thanks @CatmanAmerica. Always enjoy seeing yur classics you post. I like the obscure as you know. Mostly #1's, #nn's, promos et...from the GA and early SA. One day I hope to do a showing in one of the larger cities near me. Maybe renting ing a gallery amd displaying all the slabs. There are alot.
I may need some help identifing
4 books. They are GA and I should have then in house soon. I'll explain more when I get them photo'ed. They are something I don't normally buy, but unique in an odd way, right up my alley.
Post 1801 IP   flag post
International #1

Post 1802 IP   flag post
1950 #1 & #2

Post 1803 IP   flag post
This book is untouchable
Post 1804 IP   flag post
Treasure #1

Post 1805 IP   flag post
600653 5576 30