Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyko

Cool books!
cool book. I have been thinking about getting some of these Tales but yet to pull trigger. Problem is if I start I'll want all of them.
Post 1276 IP   flag post
Collector Gd4901 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@Watcher awesome glad you are getting books that you like. Just be careful, it's a slippery slope when you start buying high grade GA. Once you buy one or two in high grade it will become like crack.
I know that of comic collecting and crack, that one of them is bad for ya, cant recall which one, lol.
Pretty soon you will pass on the 4.5s and 5.5s and want only higher grade stuff, which is a good thing. One you don't end up with 1000's of mid grade, which is a bear to store, and two you are going to gain more value on one high grade GA then you might on 10 lower grade.
Years ago I started refining my collection to higher grade, or if not high grade, then difficult to find books. Easier to store and fun knowing you have either the highest or second highest books in you collection, imho.
The bug has bitten you, lol. Smart thing is only tell the wife about every third book you buy. That way you don't end up on couch as much, enjoy. Lol

My theory has been to buy the 5.0-6.0s as you bet on many issues to go up vs just one expensive issue(as long as you are buying desirable issues). Most likely you can recoup your cost on a book you spent $100 or $150 on. But if that issue hits you can we the value triple, quadruple, etc.

Let's say you buy an issue for $3k and the value drops- that's rough for a collector with limited funding.

The key is to learn what people want- I found the more grotesque, outrageous or salacious the cover the more chance it's going to have high desirability. Also look at how common the issue is by using both Gerber and eBay as a guide to how many issues are out there.
Post 1277 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
My entire collection, with the exception of a few titles, consists
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm
Post 1278 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm
yes I think I saw a thread of yours. You have some cool books. We have similiar tastes.
Post 1279 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm
yes I think I saw a thread of yours. You have some cool books. We have similiar tastes.

Thank you...if you get a chance take a quick look at THE PARK AVENUE
COLLECTION thread...I've posted quite a few 4.0's & 6.0's.

mm
Post 1280 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm

Thank you...if you get a chance take a quick look at THE PARK AVENUE
COLLECTION thread...I've posted quite a few 4.0's & 6.0's.

mm
yes I had checked it out. We have many of the same books. Very cool collection. How many books do you have, you must have a grip of books?
Post 1281 IP   flag post
@Sagii @martymann @Watcher so I went through a couple short boxes and pulled out a bunch of 60 four color and golden age boos to send in next week. Here are a few I thought you would like. These are all pretty high grade obscure esoteric books. I'll be pressing amd cleaning them this weekend...all weekend if I hope to get them all done. Lol. Here is four color #44 & #101.

Post 1282 IP   flag post
and Four Teeners #34 (#1)
Post 1283 IP   flag post
Now this says Comics revue vol 1 #5, however inside cover says Gordo Comics volume 1 #1. Not to mention it's a rarely seen book. I have only seen a couple and they were Vg- at best. Not sure we're this one will rank when I'm done with it.

Post 1284 IP   flag post
1942 #nn. Only real flaw is a minor color break bottom left cover, but should still get a nice grade.

Post 1285 IP   flag post
#5 (#1)

Post 1286 IP   flag post
Firehair #1

Post 1287 IP   flag post
Tiny Tot comics #1 & #2

Post 1288 IP   flag post
And last one for the night.
Boy Explorers #1
Post 1289 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Sagii @martymann @Watcher so I went through a couple short boxes and pulled out a bunch of 60 four color and golden age boos to send in next week. Here are a few I thought you would like. These are all pretty high grade obscure esoteric books. I'll be pressing amd cleaning them this weekend...all weekend if I hope to get them all done. Lol. Here is four color #44 & #101.

These are cool. Never seen them before. The strip/series still has a rabid following.
Post 1290 IP   flag post
Quote:
And last one for the night.
Boy Explorers #1
Love me some Harveys. You've got EC's, Fiction House (which is fore right now), and obscure stuff there. Can't wait to see the pressing and eventual grades.
Post 1291 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
great stuff !!
Post 1292 IP   flag post
@Watcher @Sagii here is another book you rarely see. Cgc doesn't have one in their census. This one is pretty nice with the glasses attached.

There is a crappy copy on Ebay and the seller notes, the glasses are missing in his description and goes on to say he thinks the 3-d glasses were stapled to a random page in the book. Which tells me he must have holes somewhere in the pages. The truth is they are attached to the binding like every other 3-d comic of the era.
Crazy thing is the comic is by Star publishing, but was apparently manufactured with a pair of St. John 3-d glasses.

Does anyone know if Star and St.John were partner companies?

Western Fighters 3-D #1

Post 1293 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Jubilee and St. John were partners ( or Jubilee maybe morphed into St. John). Not sure about Star.
Post 1294 IP   flag post
@Sagii maybe star didn't want to create their own glasses and it was easier to just buy some from St. John, who knows. Steve hadn't seen this issue with glasses attached, hell I don't think anyone has.
Post 1295 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
Thats awesome
Post 1296 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
My wife surprised me this year ...(certified blue 9.0, OW/W)

Occasionally a subtle hint works wonders!

Post 1297 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica

Wow! Nice book.

I'd be shocked as hell if I got that from my wife. I'm single and I'd wonder who was posing as my wife.
Post 1298 IP   flag post
Quote:

Great pick up Cat!
Post 1299 IP   flag post
@Sagii just picked another 60 high grade to go in next week. Mostly four color file copies. Some with the rarer alternate back covers. I'll post a few pic's after I press them amd clean if needed.
Post 1300 IP   flag post
Collector Moomba private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

What a way to end the year. With that kind of gift at years end you might want to pull a Rip Van Winkle/20, and see what's in store a year from now. Seriously that is one awesome book!
Post 1301 IP   flag post
Collector Jimmers private msg quote post Address this user

Creepy curtain fellow!
Happy New Years all!
Post 1302 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmers

Creepy curtain fellow!
Happy New Years all!

Great romance book, with a hint of conflict in the making.
Post 1303 IP   flag post
I should have been up last night at the stroke of midnight to post this book. Captain Midnight did rule the air waves for a few years as the cover blurb suggets, from the late 30's to 1949.

Post 1304 IP   flag post
He sure was!

mm
Post 1305 IP   flag post
601333 5585 30