CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector Gd4901 private msg quote post Address this user
Another I just picked up for a good price slabbed

Post 1251 IP   flag post

Another one that I have been looking for for a while. These classic covers are getting tough to get as everyone pounces on them
Post 1252 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@Sagii here is one order of 17 books currently being graded.

50 Years in America #nn [1952]
J.C. Penney Company, Atom Age

Adventures of Manuel Pacifico Tuna Fisherman #1 [1950]
Breast-O'-Chicken Tuna, Atom Age

Cheerios Premiums #W2 [1947]
Walt Disney Productions, Atom Age

Cheerios Premiums #W4 [1947]

Cheerios Premiums #Y1 [1947]

Chistmas Story Book #nn [1953]
Dell, Atom Age

Clean Fun, Starring "Shoogafoots Jones" #nn [1944]
Specialty Book Company, Golden Age

Feature Books #33 [1942]
David McKay, Golden Age

Lone Ranger in Milk for Big Mike #nn [1955]
Dell, Atom age

Lone Ranger in Milk for Big Mike #NN [1955]
Dell, Atom Age

Dell, Atom Age

Merry Christmas #nn [1969]
Gilberton, Stacey's Edition, Silver Age

Miss Sunbeam #nn [1955]
ACG, Atom Age

Popeye Comic and Compass Points #1 [1933]
Orbit Gum Co., Platinum Ag

Super Book of Comics #2 [1942]
Dell, Smitty Variant, Golden Age

Tom Mix Hits the Bar Diamond #1 [1934]
National Chicle Company, Platinum Age
Quote:
@Sagii here is one order of 17 books currently being graded.

50 Years in America #nn [1952]
J.C. Penney Company, Atom Age

Adventures of Manuel Pacifico Tuna Fisherman #1 [1950]
Breast-O'-Chicken Tuna, Atom Age

Cheerios Premiums #W2 [1947]

Cheerios Premiums #W4 [1947]

Cheerios Premiums #Y1 [1947]

Chistmas Story Book #nn [1953]
Dell, Atom Age

Clean Fun, Starring "Shoogafoots Jones" #nn [1944]
Specialty Book Company, Golden Age

Feature Books #33 [1942]
David McKay, Golden Age

Dell, Atom age

Lone Ranger in Milk for Big Mike #NN [1955]
Dell, Atom Age

Dell, Atom Age

Miss Sunbeam #nn [1955]
ACG, Atom Age

Popeye Comic and Compass Points #1 [1933]
Orbit Gum Co., Platinum Ag

Super Book of Comics #2 [1942]
Dell, Smitty Variant, Golden Age

Tom Mix Hits the Bar Diamond #1 [1934]
National Chicle Company, Platinum Age
cant wait! I know they are going to be doozies!
Post 1253 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gd4901

Another one that I have been looking for for a while. These classic covers are getting tough to get as everyone pounces on them
yes, there is very little undiscovered territory out there. There is more appreciation for all the genres gold offered today
Post 1254 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker...it was out of my league because when i finally found one sold it was close to what I paid for my 9.0 last night and it was only a 4.0 or maybe a 5.0..dont remember...but its a big book
Post 1255 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher cool you mean you have a 9.0 of the True Crime. Can you post a pic love to see.
Post 1256 IP   flag post
ha!! hell no I don't have that book..I have a 9.0 of the Crowley More Fun Comics 97 that i bought at 1am last night . I was saying that the true crime in 4.0 looks to be close to the value of the 9.0 More fun I bought ...so that's why I said the true crime is out of my league. Its scary what some of these Golden Non super hero books go for..I had no idea (and I see a ton of your books in my search..so I have a new respect for how incredible your collection is)
Post 1257 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I'm not sure how they got down the chimney without me noticing, ...in fact, I'm not sure how they got down the chimney at all, never mind the missing milk and cookies, but before they left this jewel under our tree, a picture was snapped. Yes Virginia, Santa Verzyl and his merry elf Little John really do exist!

Post 1258 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii just got another email today. Another GA order of books into grading today. So I should have about 35 comics GA graded and on their way back in a couple weeks. Picures to follow. Yipeee!!!
Post 1259 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 ....Bring em' on!!
Post 1260 IP   flag post
..and while we await the latest slabs from @earthshaker01 a Larson copy..
Post 1261 IP   flag post
..and a Robot Cover from the same run sold to me as a San Francisco copy.
Post 1262 IP   flag post
Hey guys...are any of these worth getting? Meaning...if you could choose just one...are these even of interest to collectors and does a 9.4 #4 draw more attention than a 7.5 #1? Is paying more for off -white always better than cream/OW? I like them all personally, so the question is resale down the road for the kids

pics aren't clear expanded...1st is #2 8.5 OW/W
2nd is #4 9.4 Cr/OW
3rd is #1 Cr/OW
4th is the Edgar C pedigree (I think)..#101 9.6 White

@earthshaker...this is directed your way too...I didn't know how to load pics in PM

Post 1263 IP   flag post
@Watcher check the cgc census on the Nickel comics, but I always go high grade when it comes to GA if I have a choice. Personally, Master comics are relatively boring and regarding demand Nickel Comics are 10 times more appealing.
For my money I would take the 9.4, Although the #1 is cool to own, I would assume there are more graded higher than a 7.5
Post 1264 IP   flag post
All the Nickel Comics are worth obtaining. Early Cap Jr. Masters with Raboy covers are very desirable. The late part of the run has a few horror themed covers that are hot, but that one being a Church copy maybe worth the investment.

On more scarecer low census number classic cover GA, even pr/fr copies are bringing north of 1k. High grade will always be 'more' desirable but on some books once you've got the cycle on how often or not it surfaces down, you'll know if that fr/Gd maybe your only shot.

Check out recent Matt Baker sales for cases like this.
Post 1265 IP   flag post
I just bought the 9.4 #4 and haven't told my wife yet ....you guys know way more than I ever will..you'd think in 40 yrs of collecting Id have learned something beside "buy high and sell low " (which seems to be my motto)

Hopefully it wasn't the wrong move considering my choices...but to own a 9.4 anything from GA is very cool to me. So personally I'm thrilled..resale-wise..I guess we'll see how brittle cream/OW gets between its having been graded way back and the next 20 yrs
Post 1266 IP   flag post
@Watcher I wouldn't worry about the cream/ow becoming brittle. That would only happen if it was still raw and not kept in moderate temperatures. Unless you are cracking it out amd leaving it in the garage, I wouldn't worry about it. Good choice BTW 9.0 on up are rare in GA and hardly anyone had GA in 9.4 or above.
Post 1267 IP   flag post
@Watcher I think you did fine. All the 'experts' are marveling at what golden age from all genres are bringing these days in a lot of these auctions. I think it's only the beginning as teen humor and romance are really 'just' climbing now, catching up to their PCH cousins.
Congrats!
Post 1268 IP   flag post
Thanks...my wife's gonna scream...I just bought back my X-men 1 4.5 on Friday after I sold it to pay bills this summer...and I paid 100.00 more than I sold it for ..if it wasn't christmas id be on the couch...but now i just bought this book and a raw copy of something called yellow jacket comics with a cool skull cover and more fun comics #97 9.0....so I've gone waaaaay overboard and probably won't be paying this months mortgage on time..but it was the best week ever buying comics for me..this golden age stuff is so firkin cool.
Post 1269 IP   flag post
@sagii...thank you ...i really am broke now..so hopefully I stop here
Post 1270 IP   flag post
Collector neyko private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1271 IP   flag post

Post 1272 IP   flag post

And that's it. Aside from two moderns. I don't know if it was worth it or not to grade them.
Post 1273 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyko

Cool books!
Post 1274 IP   flag post
@Watcher awesome glad you are getting books that you like. Just be careful, it's a slippery slope when you start buying high grade GA. Once you buy one or two in high grade it will become like crack.
I know that of comic collecting and crack, that one of them is bad for ya, cant recall which one, lol.
Pretty soon you will pass on the 4.5s and 5.5s and want only higher grade stuff, which is a good thing. One you don't end up with 1000's of mid grade, which is a bear to store, and two you are going to gain more value on one high grade GA then you might on 10 lower grade.
Years ago I started refining my collection to higher grade, or if not high grade, then difficult to find books. Easier to store and fun knowing you have either the highest or second highest books in you collection, imho.
The bug has bitten you, lol. Smart thing is only tell the wife about every third book you buy. That way you don't end up on couch as much, enjoy. Lol
Post 1275 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Originally Posted by neyko

Cool books!
cool book. I have been thinking about getting some of these Tales but yet to pull trigger. Problem is if I start I'll want all of them.
Post 1276 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Watcher awesome glad you are getting books that you like. Just be careful, it's a slippery slope when you start buying high grade GA. Once you buy one or two in high grade it will become like crack.
I know that of comic collecting and crack, that one of them is bad for ya, cant recall which one, lol.
Pretty soon you will pass on the 4.5s and 5.5s and want only higher grade stuff, which is a good thing. One you don't end up with 1000's of mid grade, which is a bear to store, and two you are going to gain more value on one high grade GA then you might on 10 lower grade.
Years ago I started refining my collection to higher grade, or if not high grade, then difficult to find books. Easier to store and fun knowing you have either the highest or second highest books in you collection, imho.
The bug has bitten you, lol. Smart thing is only tell the wife about every third book you buy. That way you don't end up on couch as much, enjoy. Lol

My theory has been to buy the 5.0-6.0s as you bet on many issues to go up vs just one expensive issue(as long as you are buying desirable issues). Most likely you can recoup your cost on a book you spent $100 or $150 on. But if that issue hits you can we the value triple, quadruple, etc.

Let's say you buy an issue for $3k and the value drops- that's rough for a collector with limited funding.

The key is to learn what people want- I found the more grotesque, outrageous or salacious the cover the more chance it's going to have high desirability. Also look at how common the issue is by using both Gerber and eBay as a guide to how many issues are out there.
Post 1277 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
My entire collection, with the exception of a few titles, consists
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm
Post 1278 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm
yes I think I saw a thread of yours. You have some cool books. We have similiar tastes.
Post 1279 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by martymann
of 4.0's to 6.0's.

mm
yes I think I saw a thread of yours. You have some cool books. We have similiar tastes.

Thank you...if you get a chance take a quick look at THE PARK AVENUE
COLLECTION thread...I've posted quite a few 4.0's & 6.0's.

mm
Post 1280 IP   flag post
597898 5528 30