Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01...thanks I'd love a key, but it's not in my budget. My wife's already screaming because I sold my X-men 1 4.5 blue label this summer for 31 and bought it back yesterday for 32 - ugh! But couldn't shake the loss.

I just want one or two really nice Golden that my kids can sell with ease 15 or 20 yrs from now --im afraid a brittle Superman 2 1.0 will be dust in 20 yrs and a Captain Amer. 55 9.0 is such a beautiful book but not sure anyone else will want it down the road.

Thanks for the tip on Worlds best...I think I'll send him a message..unless you guys have something above for a better price

Merry Christmas !!
Post 1226 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
@earthshaker01...thanks I'd love a key, but it's not in my budget. My wife's already screaming because I sold my X-men 1 4.5 blue label this summer for 31 and bought it back yesterday for 32 - ugh! But couldn't shake the loss.

I just want one or two really nice Golden that my kids can sell with ease 15 or 20 yrs from now --im afraid a brittle Superman 2 1.0 will be dust in 20 yrs and a Captain Amer. 55 9.0 is such a beautiful book but not sure anyone else will want it down the road.

Thanks for the tip on Worlds best...I think I'll send him a message..unless you guys have something above for a better price

Merry Christmas !!
Just be careful with low grade golden age, They are more common than you think. If you are buying something for kids to sell in 20 years, think high grade obscure golden age that are relatively cheap. Something with GGA or Sci-fi.
Obviously high grade golden age keys or Marvel DC titles are usually way out of our league price wise.
However, you can still find good deals on other GA but you better act quick. The pendulum of superhero key comics is always going to be at the extreme, but myself and others in the comic world are seeing the pendulum come back to other books, due to the high prices of keys.
Basically, even the obscure non-marvel non-DC in high grade are creeping up in value, because in reality they are often scarcer than the high priced keys.
I have been collecting obacure HTF high grade books for a long time. Most of what I have in grade I probably couldn't afford there days. Happy collecting and investing.
Post 1227 IP   flag post
Great advice...Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Post 1228 IP   flag post
ok @earthshaker...my head is spinning...I tried a crash course in GGA (which I never heard of before) and the first 5 books I looked up to buy are ridiculous (if you can even find one for sale) :
phantom lady 17/23
spirit 22
seven seas 4
cow puncher 6
torchy 3

so...if I were to start a new life in obscure golden..would I want one of these in 2.0 or would you give a brother a hand and guide me with a bit more detail as to what an obscure GA means..are there books in 9.0 that are worth grabbing and haven't hit the radar? is it still about first appearances even though they're not superhero...or is it about a genre or print run? Because this might as well be my first day collecting
Post 1229 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher something like this is a nice book to have....(I have one already..)clickable text
Post 1230 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

@Watcher something like this is worth getting.
Post 1231 IP   flag post
hey Johnny...merry christmas ! I got home with 17 mins left in that auction, but I saw a 6.0 blue sold for 500 in may so I'm hard pressed to get in a bidding war at 1200 for a 7.5. Maybe i'm wrong, but I don't know enough about these books brother...ill keep looking though..thanks
Post 1232 IP   flag post
Thanks Earthshaker...looks like auction is the best way to grab this book ..ill keep an eye out
Post 1233 IP   flag post
Collector Gd4901 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01

Just picked up a GD+ and paid a pretty penny. Don't see these pop up much at all though and it supposedly is quite the violent issue.
Post 1234 IP   flag post
just woke up and saw this ..probably not as scarce as claimed, but its a good grade for Golden so I grabbed it..More Fun Comics #97 CGC 9.0 VF/NM Crowley Copy Pedigree - DC (1944) - SCARCE '7'

@earthshaker..you're the pro...tell me its a decent book brother even though its too late now It's not really the obscure type you're talking about but i like it
Post 1235 IP   flag post
Quote:
just woke up and saw this ..probably not as scarce as claimed, but its a good grade for Golden so I grabbed it..More Fun Comics #97 CGC 9.0 VF/NM Crowley Copy Pedigree - DC (1944) - SCARCE '7'

@earthshaker..you're the pro...tell me its a decent book brother even though its too late now It's not really the obscure type you're talking about but i like it

Anytime you can get a golden age in 9.0 or above for a nice price and you like it, I say get it. You won't lose money on a high grade golden age if price is right.
Post 1236 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gd4901
Quote:

Just picked up a GD+ and paid a pretty penny. Don't see these pop up much at all though and it supposedly is quite the violent issue.

Curious what you paid for a low frame one. Mine graded a 5.5, but I had it graded long before I learned how to reset a spine and press comics. Not to mention cleaning.
Going to crack it soon and work on it. I think I got a 7.0 or 7.5 when I get done with it.
Post 1237 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
@X51 great stuff. Those are some risqué but cleaver covers there.
Post 1238 IP   flag post
that true crime is a sweet book...out of my league...very cool stuff
Post 1239 IP   flag post
Quote:
that true crime is a sweet book...out of my league...very cool stuff

Why out of your league?
Post 1240 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
@X51 great stuff. Those are some risqué but cleaver covers there.

Thanks! I've slowed down now on these. I only buy at shows now and there's a dealer who acquires these just to sell to me now. Most dealers don't know they exist.
Post 1241 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Curious what you paid for a low frame one. Mine graded a 5.5, but I had it graded long before I learned how to reset a spine and press comics. Not to mention cleaning.
Going to crack it soon and work on it. I think I got a 7.0 or 7.5 when I get done with it.

$500ish. Someone had written they paid 3k for a 7.0. Think this one is a Gerber 6 so a bit tough to find.
Post 1242 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Just picked up a GD+ and paid a pretty penny. Don't see these pop up much at all though and it supposedly is quitethe violent issue.

$500ish. Someone had written they paid 3k for a 7.0. Think this one is a Gerber 6 so a bit tough to find.

I know they aren't cheap. I really need to go pull mine. Of I remeber right it was in really nice shape. No tears or missing pieces just pretty bad spine rI'll hurt it. Easily fixable these days for me.
I fixed a feature book that was a 5.0 when I cracked it. Reset the spine by hand pressing, and then dry cleaned it. Got a 7.0 after that. So I think I can push this to atleast a 7., if lucky and 8.0.
I'll crack it this week amd do some before an afters in here to show ya. It's fun goofing around with these old books.
Post 1243 IP   flag post

Here's one I picked up in the last few days. Yes- restored but very few around and was in the $200 range slabbed. This is another Gerber 6 I think and haven't seen many floating around.
Post 1244 IP   flag post

This one is coming to me next month. Will be one of my best comics in my collection. See this one as always holding its value
Post 1245 IP   flag post
Quote:

Here's one I picked up in the last few days. Yes- restored but very few around and was in the $200 range slabbed. This is another Gerber 6 I think and haven't seen many floating around.
Very cool
Post 1246 IP   flag post
Quote:

I am thrilled with all the participation in the Thread lately. Only the tip of the ice berg of things to come I hope. Cool books. Yes this is a toughie. I need to have my copy slabbed eventually.
Post 1247 IP   flag post
@Sagii well I should have some books to post in coming weeks. They are in grading. Hoping for some to have high grades, 9.0 up or so, fingers crossed.
Post 1248 IP   flag post
@Sagii here is one order of 17 books currently being graded.

50 Years in America #nn [1952]
J.C. Penney Company, Atom Age

Adventures of Manuel Pacifico Tuna Fisherman #1 [1950]
Breast-O'-Chicken Tuna, Atom Age

Cheerios Premiums #W2 [1947]
Walt Disney Productions, Atom Age

Cheerios Premiums #W4 [1947]

Cheerios Premiums #Y1 [1947]

Chistmas Story Book #nn [1953]
Dell, Atom Age

Clean Fun, Starring "Shoogafoots Jones" #nn [1944]
Specialty Book Company, Golden Age

Feature Books #33 [1942]
David McKay, Golden Age

Lone Ranger in Milk for Big Mike #nn [1955]
Dell, Atom age

Lone Ranger in Milk for Big Mike #NN [1955]
Dell, Atom Age

Dell, Atom Age

Merry Christmas #nn [1969]
Gilberton, Stacey's Edition, Silver Age

Miss Sunbeam #nn [1955]
ACG, Atom Age

Popeye Comic and Compass Points #1 [1933]
Orbit Gum Co., Platinum Ag

Super Book of Comics #2 [1942]
Dell, Smitty Variant, Golden Age

Tom Mix Hits the Bar Diamond #1 [1934]
National Chicle Company, Platinum Age
Post 1249 IP   flag post

Post 1250 IP   flag post
Another I just picked up for a good price slabbed

Post 1251 IP   flag post

Another one that I have been looking for for a while. These classic covers are getting tough to get as everyone pounces on them
Post 1252 IP   flag post
Quote:

Dell, Atom Age

Feature Books #33 [1942]
David McKay, Golden Age

Dell, Atom age

Dell, Atom Age

Dell, Atom Age

Miss Sunbeam #nn [1955]
ACG, Atom Age

Quote:

Dell, Atom Age

Feature Books #33 [1942]
David McKay, Golden Age

Dell, Atom age

Dell, Atom Age

Dell, Atom Age

Miss Sunbeam #nn [1955]
ACG, Atom Age

cant wait! I know they are going to be doozies!
Post 1253 IP   flag post
Quote:

Another one that I have been looking for for a while. These classic covers are getting tough to get as everyone pounces on them
yes, there is very little undiscovered territory out there. There is more appreciation for all the genres gold offered today
Post 1254 IP   flag post
@earthshaker...it was out of my league because when i finally found one sold it was close to what I paid for my 9.0 last night and it was only a 4.0 or maybe a 5.0..dont remember...but its a big book
Post 1255 IP   flag post
600441 5563 30