Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
The Human Torch in the process of making an aerial "barrel roll"...

Great Timely collection Cat man!
Post 1201 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagii
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
I always find it interesting to see a comic with Hitler in it and know that he was still alive when the comic was published.

This is a book that has recently come on my radar after not noticing it before. Thanks for posting, love it!

For a short while, it held the title of being my oldest comic book. That was really the reason I bought it. That and curiosity about what the stories were like. Shortly afterwards, I bought the Whiz #9. Now the title goes to a Little Orphan Annie book from the late 20's.
Post 1202 IP   flag post
@X51 It's really cool!The Robot and girl in the tube don't hurt either (both collecting focus' of some golden age collectors). Keep at it. Golden age is like no other with a wide variety of genres and HTF books to keep you in the thrill of the 'hunt'.

As for my oldest book, this one gets that designation: 1937,magazine sized comic from the Jon Berk stash
Post 1203 IP   flag post
Nice!
Post 1204 IP   flag post

Post 1205 IP   flag post

Post 1206 IP   flag post

Post 1207 IP   flag post

Post 1208 IP   flag post

Post 1209 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, one of my golden age orders went into grading today. So hopefully in a couple weeks I'll have something cool to post. Been so long I dont recall what comics I sent in.
I could look, but think I'll just wait until they are done and home.
Post 1210 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

I like these. GGA is all the rage these days!
Post 1211 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

It's pretty common to see #3. It's not unusual to see #1.
#2, #4, and #5 are rarely seen.
Post 1212 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by X51

It's pretty common to see #3. It's not unusual to see #1.

Cool gga books. I'm not sure if I have any of those. I have a few longs boxes of old GA obscure esoteric boxes I never go into that are mid to high grade. Currently trying to grade just my high grade obscure stuff first then into the other stuff. But now you make ne want to go look, lol.
#2, #4, and #5 are rarely seen.
Post 1213 IP   flag post
I'm collecting Charlton adult humor comics since they are so rarely seen. This is another rarely seen Charlton publication. I'm thinking all the scans online are of my copy.

Post 1214 IP   flag post
150 New Cartoons #4

150 New Cartoons #5

Post 1215 IP   flag post
Good humor Magazine #1 from 1948... more text than cartoons.

Post 1216 IP   flag post
Agian, these are more text than cartoons, but I like the covers.

Post 1217 IP   flag post

Post 1218 IP   flag post
Good Humor #2

Post 1219 IP   flag post
Best New Cartoons #nn (#1)

Post 1220 IP   flag post
Two copies of Cartoon Carnival #1

These are really closer to being Silver Age, but I figured I'd share.
Post 1221 IP   flag post
@X51 cool books. There is quite a few on ebay of the charlton books. There is a nice Cartoon Spice #1 for around a 100.
Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F232319871398
Post 1222 IP   flag post
I'm pleased with my copy. He's one of the few dealers who are selling these.
Post 1223 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
You guys are the only ones I can turn to for Golden Age advice...I'm looking to make a couple purchases and Im really not sure what direction to go in..

Whats more appealing to you guys:
-a 9.0/9.2 Captain America say an issue between 50-59.
-a 4.0-5.0 Captain say an issue around 18-25
-a superman 3 or 4 maybe a 1.0 or 2.0
-a joker cover detective under issue 102 but above 50 around a 6.0
-an action maybe between issues 15-25 6.0/6.5
- worlds best comics 1 4.0/4.5
- or these (all select, marvel mystery, young allies war covers) around 5.0/6.0

Just want to buy one right now and maybe a second down the road..my christmas gift to myself
Post 1224 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
You guys are the only ones I can turn to for Golden Age advice...I'm looking to make a couple purchases and Im really not sure what direction to go in..

Whats more appealing to you guys:
-a 9.0/9.2 Captain America say an issue between 50-59.
-a 4.0-5.0 Captain say an issue around 18-25
-a superman 3 or 4 maybe a 1.0 or 2.0
-a joker cover detective under issue 102 but above 50 around a 6.0
-an action maybe between issues 15-25 6.0/6.5
- worlds best comics 1 4.0/4.5
- or these (all select, marvel mystery, young allies war covers) around 5.0/6.0

Just want to buy one right now and maybe a second down the road..my christmas gift to myself

I always say go with the #1 of any book outside of a key comic. So I say the Worlds Best Comics #1. It's a great book and has two icons on cover, Superman/Batman that will always have demand and attractiveness. The rest of your list is cool but not as Icomic as sup and batman on cover.
He is one ebay I am sure you could get for 3k.
Look at this on eBay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F351597414373
Post 1225 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01...thanks I'd love a key, but it's not in my budget. My wife's already screaming because I sold my X-men 1 4.5 blue label this summer for 31 and bought it back yesterday for 32 - ugh! But couldn't shake the loss.

I just want one or two really nice Golden that my kids can sell with ease 15 or 20 yrs from now --im afraid a brittle Superman 2 1.0 will be dust in 20 yrs and a Captain Amer. 55 9.0 is such a beautiful book but not sure anyone else will want it down the road.

Thanks for the tip on Worlds best...I think I'll send him a message..unless you guys have something above for a better price

Merry Christmas !!
Post 1226 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
@earthshaker01...thanks I'd love a key, but it's not in my budget. My wife's already screaming because I sold my X-men 1 4.5 blue label this summer for 31 and bought it back yesterday for 32 - ugh! But couldn't shake the loss.

I just want one or two really nice Golden that my kids can sell with ease 15 or 20 yrs from now --im afraid a brittle Superman 2 1.0 will be dust in 20 yrs and a Captain Amer. 55 9.0 is such a beautiful book but not sure anyone else will want it down the road.

Thanks for the tip on Worlds best...I think I'll send him a message..unless you guys have something above for a better price

Merry Christmas !!
Just be careful with low grade golden age, They are more common than you think. If you are buying something for kids to sell in 20 years, think high grade obscure golden age that are relatively cheap. Something with GGA or Sci-fi.
Obviously high grade golden age keys or Marvel DC titles are usually way out of our league price wise.
However, you can still find good deals on other GA but you better act quick. The pendulum of superhero key comics is always going to be at the extreme, but myself and others in the comic world are seeing the pendulum come back to other books, due to the high prices of keys.
Basically, even the obscure non-marvel non-DC in high grade are creeping up in value, because in reality they are often scarcer than the high priced keys.
I have been collecting obacure HTF high grade books for a long time. Most of what I have in grade I probably couldn't afford there days. Happy collecting and investing.
Post 1227 IP   flag post
Great advice...Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Post 1228 IP   flag post
ok @earthshaker...my head is spinning...I tried a crash course in GGA (which I never heard of before) and the first 5 books I looked up to buy are ridiculous (if you can even find one for sale) :
phantom lady 17/23
spirit 22
seven seas 4
cow puncher 6
torchy 3

so...if I were to start a new life in obscure golden..would I want one of these in 2.0 or would you give a brother a hand and guide me with a bit more detail as to what an obscure GA means..are there books in 9.0 that are worth grabbing and haven't hit the radar? is it still about first appearances even though they're not superhero...or is it about a genre or print run? Because this might as well be my first day collecting
Post 1229 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
@Watcher something like this is a nice book to have....(I have one already..)clickable text
Post 1230 IP   flag post
598101 5529 30