Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user

Post 1151 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Just got this one back from Joe/CFP - Note the paper quality - white pages for a book from 1945 - not bad!!!

Post 1152 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
Just got this one back from Joe/CFP - Note the paper quality - white pages for a book from 1945 - not bad!!!

Very nice @poka! Congrats!
Post 1153 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
This why I use cbcs instead of cgc. The only two 8.5s known. Mine the cbcs one. Also a tribute because IFC is showing Three Stooges marathon today.
Post 1154 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
This why I use cbcs instead of cgc. The only two 8.5s known. Mine the cbcs one. Also a tribute because IFC is showing Three Stooges marathon today.
Nice! Love the #2 in that run!
Post 1155 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@Sagii I have the highest #3 if that helps, and I have a high grade #2 in a box somewhere I plan to grade when I come across it
Post 1156 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
I have a highest graded copy of this'n (one of four in the CGC census)...

Alas, no Stooges, but the dude on the throne looks a lot like Ted Healy!
Post 1157 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
I have a highest graded copy of this'n (one of four in the CGC census)...

Alas, no Stooges, but the dude on the throne looks a lot like Ted Healy!
Great book Cat! Tough later issue Cap.
Post 1158 IP   flag post
Thanks! Later Timely's are tough, especially Marvel issues in grade...

Post 1159 IP   flag post
Seems I've got a trend going with cover blondes, here's another...

Post 1160 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Personal lesson learned here: even if you think the book isn’t worth enough to have been restored, put the damn UV light to it anyways 🀯

Post 1161 IP   flag post
This one just came in. Needs a press, but I’ve much higher hopes for the grade on this one.

Yes, I buy them all whenever they show up online looking to be above vg 😁😁

Post 1162 IP   flag post

Post 1163 IP   flag post
One kickin' MLJ comic leads to another...

Post 1164 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
This one just came in. Needs a press, but I’ve much higher hopes for the grade on this one.

Yes, I buy them all whenever they show up online looking to be above vg 😁😁

so - did you fire it up with UV? πŸŽ…πŸ»
Post 1165 IP   flag post
@poka yep! I dont see anything on this one. I’ll look a bit deeper into it when I press it as well.

Those damn sunshadows are killing me though. Seems every one I buy has them to some degree :/
Post 1166 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer let me look in collection of Dells I think I have a file copy of this. I had around 1500 dell file copies. I know the last woody woodpecker I sent in was a 9.8. I have bunch of of other Woodys I know, but I don't know which ones, because I literally grab a short box of dells ever now and then and pull 30 out of the front randomly and send in for grading. I'll try amd take a look this weekend
Post 1167 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer - Dude, you might be getting a DELL!
Post 1168 IP   flag post
So I own a really nice 8.0 of this book, but just recently picked up this and found out it is a file copy from an original owner who worked with Fawcett publications. Always wanted a higher grade one. I'll press it this weekend and send in. Highest graded is a 9.2.
I should be able to reach that or higher. Just a gorgeous flat copy.
Post 1169 IP   flag post
Great stuff everyone 🍻
Post 1170 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 out of curiosity - how did you identify that it is a file copy.
Post 1171 IP   flag post
Quote:
@shrewbeer let me look in collection of Dells I think I have a file copy of this. I had around 1500 dell file copies. I know the last woody woodpecker I sent in was a 9.8. I have bunch of of other Woodys I know, but I don't know which ones, because I literally grab a short box of dells ever now and then and pull 30 out of the front randomly and send in for grading. I'll try amd take a look this weekend

That would be awesome! Its not a very high value book, but a high grade one is surely a grail for me
Post 1172 IP   flag post
@Sagii here go bud. Paid 40.00 for the HTF #1. Cleaned the dust shadow and foxing off, yes it can be done. Dont know anyone that does it but it can be done. Dry cleaning solution with and a secret additive helps remove shadow and the foxing. Not perfect but significantly reduces problem areas. Pressed it after. Total time spent with cleaning and pressing 45 minutes. Now it will be worth a bunch me than 40.00 I hope.
Ziff davis #1's are HTF in anything but vg. Before and after in pic

Post 1173 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Your work is amazing! That is a great cover on that issue. You are the king of the Ziff Davis collectors.
Post 1174 IP   flag post
@Sagii thanks buddy. I'm not sure I am king of anythinf, but I do enjoy the Ziff-davis covers for sure. Always wonder whatever happens to some of the original painted art?
Post 1175 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Good question. I'm sure some examples still exist out there. Maybe sitting in some warehouse. They would bring sky high premiums for sure!
Post 1176 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
If you go to Comic Art Fans, there are a FEW painted covers and inked pages from "Amazing Stories" and "Fantastic Adventures". there is actually a recreation of a FA cover that looks awesome!!
Post 1177 IP   flag post
@Sagii you might enjoy this pic of books I'm sending soon. All crazy higher grade obscure esoteric crap I collect. #1's, #nn's mainly like normal.
Post 1178 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Sagii you might enjoy this pic of books I'm sending soon. All crazy higher grade obscure esoteric crap I collect. #1's, #nn's mainly like normal.
These are eclectic and all cool in their own way. Can't wait to see where they rank ( top of the census I'm sure πŸ˜ƒ

The Famous Funnies is a classic, but I really dig the Cosmo Cat and Babe 😍
Post 1179 IP   flag post
HIT Comics #2...

Post 1180 IP   flag post
601228 5582 30