Post 827 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
More Schomburg WWII mayhem...

Post 828 IP   flag post
...and the follow-up!

Post 829 IP   flag post
There is so much great art represented in this thread.
Some covers might even be described as Fine art...

Post 830 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
There is so much great art represented in this thread.
Some covers might even be described as Fine art...

Agreed

Post 831 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
The cover is split all the way down the spine & it's separated, but it only cost me $20 when I bought it.

Post 832 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
May may be a big month for me as I may end up spending my entire 2017 budget (with my wife's blessing). More to come

Seeing this posted in this thread just made my night!! Even if it doesn't work out, let us know what you were thinking. We all can appreciate chasing a huge score!!

Ok here is the deal. Heritage had a WDCS #1 8.0. The comic originated from the family of an OO who passed away some 10 years ago. It is extremely rare for a book of this quality to come to the market. I had a budget of 15k. Unfortunately it sold for 19k 😩. On the other hand it means I can buy more comics for the rest of the year. I did pick up another's WDCS at the same auction. Unfortunately I could not bid live for that book so had to submit a max bid - and for those of you who do buy at HA you know that quite often that means that if you win - you win at your max price - hmm. Say nothing more.
Post 833 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
@poka The red cover with Donald holding the corner of the page? That would be an incredible book to own!!! Sorry it didn't work out for you. But like you said, at least you can still buy more comics this year!! Thanks for sharing that!
Post 834 IP   flag post
@Jesse_O yep - that's the one. Already got one but that would have been a nice upgrade.

Cheers
Post 835 IP   flag post
Although this isn't the Connections thread, here's another significant GA page turning cover ...

...this time Steel Sterling peeping around the edge of the cover to see how the new guy, The Web, handles an unwelcome invader.
Post 836 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
So normally I send in GA in the 9.0+ for grading, but every once in awhileI'll pull a group of comics that are more in the 6.0 to 8.5 range because even in those grade they are rare and are valuable. So this weekend I pressed about 30 books.
There are enough minor things wrong with them that keep them in those grade ranges, a stain, a edge tear, corner blunt or a combination of things. There are a few however that may hit the 9.0 range. Paticularly, the Dell Dr. Who Daleks. It is a file copy I have had for years and until recently I didn't kow it had some value and is hard to find in high grades.most are #1's and #nn's as usual

Post 837 IP   flag post
The worst one wil be the Dime comics. A lot of minor tears.on opening edge but there is a piece of tape that will not be able.to be removed that has bonded to the back cover maybe a half inch log. So I am expecting a 4.5 but visual comic looks better that grade that will come back. I expect alot will be in the 7.0 to 8.0 range.
Ok back to high grade GA for awhile
Post 838 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
The worst one wil be the Dime comics. A lot of minor tears.on opening edge but there is a piece of tape that will not be able.to be removed that has bonded to the back cover maybe a half inch log. So I am expecting a 4.5 but visual comic looks better that grade that will come back. I expect alot will be in the 7.0 to 8.0 range.
Ok back to high grade GA for awhile

That nice bunch of books deserves a tip of the Cap...

Post 839 IP   flag post
another two to the collection

Post 840 IP   flag post
Sweet books, poka!

Thinking along those lines: soldier ducks, skunk gets tamed (8.5 copy)...

Not shootin' for any connections, just challenging myself to find corresponding links between totally unrelated books.
Post 841 IP   flag post
Schicklgruber's just no match for Simon & Kirby's characters...

Post 842 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Tec 45

Post 843 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user

Post 844 IP   flag post
since we also do a bit of name game - here is my next
Post 845 IP   flag post
Here are my 5 copies of 1935 Donald Duck first book devoted to him. All but one is in gorgeous shape. Took me awhile to find nice copies. A couple are in the 9.0 plus shape.

Post 846 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos

Nice!

Even Thomas Dolby WOOD've been blinded by Weird Science...

Post 847 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 Nice ones Hoarder

This one is mine
Post 848 IP   flag post
@poka lol thanks they are fun books to find. Need to dry clean a couple which should clean them really nicely. They are linen paper so they should clean up.
Post 849 IP   flag post
So I have boxes and boxes of old GA and SA comics, #1's, #nn's and Dell comics...blah blah the standard shit I post. So today I am going through some of my boxes looking for a paticular book, not even really knowing what's in them for the most part. These books are books I consider 9.0 or below. Usually between 5.0 and 9.0 for the most part. Since i currently only send un my higher grade stuff i have set these aside years ago. So I thought I would post a few pics as I go through of surprisingly nice books and some cool stuff. So up first some dell four colors. I didn't even know I had the four color #4 smiling jack I would put it in the 7.0 the rest are all 7.5 to 9.0. Even a I love Lucy four color 535 (#1). The flash gordon are cool covers I think.

Post 850 IP   flag post
Some more

Post 851 IP   flag post
Some more again
Post 852 IP   flag post
More...

Post 853 IP   flag post
Hodgepodge of things in pretty nice shape

Post 854 IP   flag post
I think the Hoppy has some value maybe the rest

Post 855 IP   flag post
598077 5529 30