Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure this thread will stay alive. I peruse it from time to time just as I'm sure others do, but don't actively post (I've never collected GA books, but am intrigued by them). Keep it up! 800 posts and counting.
Post 801 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
And I should add, the only other 800-plus threads I've seen as of late have involved what character/actor someone looks like. So I think this thread will be just fine; the regular posters have such a nice selection of books that this thread will always attract attention.
Post 802 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Kokonut#nn

Post 803 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
Nice-en earthshaker!

Another nn golden ager, and this-en's VITAL!

Post 804 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
@CatmanAmerica very cool. What do they mean Vital? It's not by vital publication is it?
Post 805 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@CatmanAmerica very cool. What do they mean Vital? It's not by vital publication is it?

Yes, Vital was a WWII era imprint of Quality. If I'm not mistaken, the 2nd issue of PM published a year later ('44) was a Vital Book as well. Plas didn't get his own quarterly series until after the war, starting with #3.

The offshoot Vital line books may have been a means of skirting wartime paper restrictions.
Post 806 IP   flag post
@CatmanAmerica so what about the mini comics I have by Vital from the GA. Same company?
Post 807 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1948 Fox Features Syndicate BLUE BEETLE #54 As mentioned in "Seduction of the Innocent". Also features a "hanging panel", by which displays a death by hanging.

click to zoom images

This book has been talked about on the forums many times. I finally had a chance at one so I pulled the trigger. The last recorded sale of this book was 2013. This marks the officially oldest book I own.
Post 808 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke normally I don't collect low grade stuff, matter of fact this might be my lowest graded book, but I basically got this book for a dollar as part of a small collection I bought at a garage sale. It was in SOTI.
This was before I pressed and cleaned books. It came back a 5.5, has a 7.0 or so in there somewhere.
So I will crack it one day reset the binding amd press it.
Post 809 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Oh cool

Yeah I normally don't buy low grade books either but this was hard to pass up since it rarely even comes up for sale at all. It might be fun to try and collect SOTI books if I could afford it
Post 810 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
@CatmanAmerica so what about the mini comics I have by Vital from the GA. Same company?

Quality/Vital periodicals were published during the war years ...post-Pearl Harbor... when paper rationing hampered publishers trying to expand their lines. Vital was essentially a subsidiary of Quality in that material was limited to Plastic Man and The Spirit. After the war Vital published under it's own imprint. That may be the source of your mini comics.

Here's the Vital data...

https://www.comics.org/indicia_publisher/1391/
Post 811 IP   flag post
Collector Mijael private msg quote post Address this user
Hello everyone , i am a golden age collector, right now i am focusing on Mexicans and Brazilian books

My most recent submissions

[/url

[url=http://imgur.com/OdNFcti]
[/url

[url=http://imgur.com/zKbi9CE]

This one could´t fitbecause it was to tall (i will try with CGC maybe), its a Gem beacause its the Brazilian edition of Marvel Mystery Tales 36, but as you see it has a variant cover by some unknow great artist

Post 812 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 813 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user

Post 814 IP   flag post
For the most part, Spanish is Greek to me. That said, I'm not proficient in Japanese kanji/kana either, but I'll wager the paratrooper isn't waving & shouting "hello" while firing his Nambu pistol at Subby on this cover...

Post 815 IP   flag post
Marvel Mystery #65 (July '45)...

Sub-Mariner & Marvel Mystery covers by Alex Schomburg
Post 816 IP   flag post
Trying to help keep thread alive.
So I just picked up a bunch of silver age super high grade. I know this is mainly GA,but I wanted to show you guys this Dell book.
I have been searching for along time to find one in that 9.6 to 9.8 range. You can find this readily, but always vf+ or lower. Going to make an attempt to locate the actor Wayne Muander, see if I can get him to sign it. Anyone have a quick method of finding him? One of the best photo covers of the time imho.
Post 817 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
Was finally able to replace this book. It's missing the back cover, beat up, but otherwise complete. If I find a back cover, I'll probably have the book restored.

Post 818 IP   flag post
Congrats on the pick-up!

Alas, my only 'Tec is a pre-Bat, featuring Dr. Fu Manchu...

...but as Church books go it's a seagull approved grail.

Post 819 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatmanAmerica
For the most part, Spanish is Greek to me. That said, I'm not proficient in Japanese kanji/kana either, but I'll wager the paratrooper isn't waving & shouting "hello" while firing his Nambu pistol at Subby on this cover...

What super-heroes were on the side of the AXIS? Anyone? LOL

Feels kinda unfair that all super heroes fought on the side of the Allies only.
Post 820 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingNampa

What super-heroes were on the side of the AXIS? Anyone? LOL

Feels kinda unfair that all super heroes fought on the side of the Allies only.

LOL, good points. Guess the advantage always goes to the home team.

There were Axis aligned super-foes, but they usually came up short. Timely's Capt. America battled the Red Skull, Fawcett's Capt. Marvel Jr. fought Captain Nazi, MLJ's The Shield bested The Hun and so on.

Every publisher with super heroes had villains with guile and/or powers to match whatever superpower the leading hero could muster. The super-foes all had one thing in common, they usually lost those smack-down matches.
Post 821 IP   flag post
PS: I'm not sure if this supersized Nazi skeleton would qualify as an AXIS "super-hero", but as a mad Doctor he seems pretty formidable...

Post 822 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Missing a piece off the corner, but it doesn't bother me. Hasn't bothered me for 40 years, why start now?

Post 823 IP   flag post
Collector X51 private msg quote post Address this user
Animal Fables #1

Post 824 IP   flag post
Land of the Lost #1

Post 825 IP   flag post
Is This Tomorrow

Post 826 IP   flag post
Startling Comics #32

Post 827 IP   flag post
More Schomburg WWII mayhem...

Post 828 IP   flag post
...and the follow-up!

Post 829 IP   flag post
There is so much great art represented in this thread.
Some covers might even be described as Fine art...

Post 830 IP   flag post
598069 5529 30