Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

The Golden Age of comics19

COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinzebac
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveinthecity
Regarding the Archie #3, I've seen the name "Donald Langley" written on quite a few books from the 40's. Anyone have any info about him or his collection?

Interesting. That would really be cool to know. Fir myself, I love the books with names on the cover. It is such great history.

Interesting, I have an Avengers #11 with Danny Langley written across the top. I'll try to get an image of it up on here today. Related maybe, father and son???
Post 676 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the book with Danny Langley's name on it. Not only that, it has Stan Lee's autograph too. Interesting piece of history.

Post 677 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Here's the book with Danny Langley's name on it. Not only that, it has Stan Lee's autograph too. Interesting piece of history.

That is very cool. That is definitely a great comic to own.
Post 678 IP   flag post
PEDIGREED... Again! martymann private msg quote post Address this user
error

mm
Post 679 IP   flag post
Collector ArchivedCollection private msg quote post Address this user
Great thread everyone. Very nice reading.
Post 680 IP   flag post

Collector Centaurjack private msg quote post Address this user
New Bill Everett to the collection

Post 681 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Now for something a little diffrrent. Two NM copies of book 1 of the 1948 flip comics series. These are hard to find without being damade from thumbs flipping through them. Can CBCS grades these is the real question?

Post 682 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
Here is another mint of a similiar book 1950s. This Pluto flip book is a Art Corner book sold only at org Disneyland theme park in the 1950-60-

Post 683 IP   flag post
Collector Badger private msg quote post Address this user
I have one of these flip books.

Post 684 IP   flag post
@Badger I think the Disney ones are likely more abundant than the ceral tom and jerry ones, since the Disney ones were sold at Disney gift shops. Going to see if they can grade these since high grade ones are tougher to get.
Post 685 IP   flag post
@earthshaker01 I think you are right. There are no Tom and Jerry flip books on eBay while there are examples of both of our Disney flip books.
Post 686 IP   flag post
She here is some crazy s**t. So I collect mini comics as well as all the other GA#1's and dell stuff, right. Well someone might appreciate this.
So in the past I think I posted this pic of some recently graded 1948-50 Vital-wisco books. Here is the pic again of a few I got back. Notice the Wacky Quack specifically. The scroll down.

So I recently got 6 copies of these uncut mini comics in gorgeous shape. They came from an estate sale originally must have been someone who stashed them away that worked at publisher. Here are a couple of them.

Next question is can CBCS grade these? Unheard of books right?
Post 687 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
@earthshaker01 - obviously the width is okay, so if the length is the same as a normal comic, there shouldn't be a problem.
Post 688 IP   flag post
@esaravo true. I think they will be okay. It will be interesting to see what the label says when I get them back.
Post 689 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I just picked up this Golden Age beauty.

Club "16" #1 (June 1948)

Post 690 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga

Club "16" #1 (June 1948)

Awesome book. I have a couple of those in high grade. They don't come up too often. Nice pick up. Here is one of mine.

Post 691 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga

Club "16" #1 (June 1948)

Awesome book. I have a couple of those in high grade. They don't come up too often. Nice pick up. Here is one of mine.

I'm glad I joined the "club" you're in. It's a great looking book, but has a few spine dents on the back cover. I'm debating having it pressed, but don't know if I should risk a spine split on this 69 year old cover.
Post 692 IP   flag post
@Darkga I press GA books all the time and have never split a spine. It should be safe
Post 693 IP   flag post
Just got these.

Post 694 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Just got these.

Gorgeous!
Post 695 IP   flag post
Quote:
Now for something a little diffrrent. Two NM copies of book 1 of the 1948 flip comics series. These are hard to find without being damade from thumbs flipping through them. Can CBCS grades these is the real question?

Very cool!
Post 696 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger
I have one of these flip books.

Funny, like there are no Disney 'Super-Book of Comics' issues, i don't think there are any Warners 'Flip Books' like these....
Post 697 IP   flag post
@Sagii Interesting. I had never noticed super book of comics before. I take it they were like March of Comics?
Post 698 IP   flag post
@Badger Hey buddy, yeah they were, but more harder to find for some issues than the MOC series. Even collector Robot Man who has seen many a collectible says he hasn't come across them ( a regional distribution issue?)
There were two series: Omar Bread editions and Hancock oil (reprints of the Omar books) except the last issue featuring Bugs Bunny which according to Overstreet is not. I've never seen the cover for this book posted anywhere I'm beginning to think it doesn't exist. It's become my 'white whale'.
Post 699 IP   flag post
@Sagii To my failing memory, I have never seen them and I love books like that. I'll have to keep my eyes open for them. Were they East Coast only?
Post 700 IP   flag post
@Badger That was a theory he threw out, so it's very plausible. I'll post some later tonight
Post 701 IP   flag post
@Sagii Thanks! I look forward to reading.
Post 702 IP   flag post
Ok, so these had 8 Looney Tunes issues in the Omar editions (I am two issues from completing the sub set). I still need #2 and #30. #6 with the Porky cover and four ducks that look an awful lot like a certain duck and his nephews was the first one i acquired.
Post 703 IP   flag post
This one is tied for highest grade examples in my set with #18 (my copy is in a PGX slab so it won't show up here. This is issue #14
Post 704 IP   flag post
This Elmer Fudd issue is a fave. Such a 'Fall' cover, my favorite time of year
Post 705 IP   flag post
598059 5529 30