Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Books almost to being verified, BUT....1893

Collector Johnny_B private msg quote post Address this user
Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am fairly new here, and have been patiently waiting to see my book graded. My issue is, in light of them now offering the inhouse pressing/cleaning,i am contemplating getting that performed. If i did, once it was completed, i would go to the back of the line for grading.I am seriously thinking of it, but i have to make the decision tomorrow.
The comics are as follows:
Batman: The Killing Joke #nn [1988]
DC, Copper Age x1

Deadpool #1 [1997]
Marvel, Modern Age
ED McGUINNESS (date: 11/12/2016, location: RICC)
ROB LIEFELD (date: 11/12/2016, location: RICC)

Deadpool #1 [2016]
Marvel, Variant Edition, Modern Age

Deadpool #18 [2016]
Marvel, Celebrity Authentics Variant, Modern Age

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #1 [2015]
Marvel, Stan Lee Collectibles Variant, Modern Age

Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars #1 [2015]
Marvel, Stan Lee Collectibles B&W, Modern Age

New Mutants #98 [1991]
Marvel, Copper Age

Should these books go for a pressing and a cleaning beforehand?
Thank You In Advance
John
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Is it for personal or for resell?
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The decision should be based on how many non color breaking defects there are and if the potential grade bump would more than pay for the pressing cost.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It is kind of for both. These are primarily for my wife, and she wants to keep them. But she also has the outlook that if times ever got tough, then she would sell them.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
If you can't remember any specific details/defects that could be pressed, just to let them go to grade. You can always send one back with your next submission if the notes show things that a good pancake recipe can fix
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
I would say the killing joke and the New mutants 98 could maybe use a press and cleaning depending on the condition (Only based upon age at this point). Deadpool #1 maybe as well as the others if you remember any major defects. Iv had modern books I thought were 9.8 come back as 9.4 for small bends and things that could have been removed with a press. Now will I crack it and re submit it probably not. The cost of re submitting and pressing later on will break even or maybe slightly outweigh the cost of doing so with the potential grade bump.

Just my thoughts on it. Good luck either way. The waiting is the hardest part.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yes, the waiting is the hardest part. I had never even considered the cleaning and pressing until I started reading these forums. So now, here I am, probably a week away from actually getting graded, and I am starting to understand how things work. A day late, and a dollar short....
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
I would try your first as experience not for profet. Try Deadpool #1 97 and New Mutants #98.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
I would try your first as experience not for profet. Try Deadpool #1 97 and New Mutants #98.

Consider as well that if the order is split, shipping doubles (or the other books gather dust at CBCS waiting)

btw @Johnny_B I'm waiting for books from the same convention as well. @esaravo already posted pics of his, idk how he got them before us!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
sending is all about the color breaks..no breaks- Press..breaks..save your money..just send for slabbing. (my thoughts)..Ray
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Also, Killing Joke is a notoriously resilient book. I bought mine for $10 at SDCC like 15 years ago. Read through it (carefully of course) and it still got a 9.8 without pressing. Unless it is in visibly shabby condition and you've been careful with it, it probably doesn't need a press.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
My 90 comics gave a better grade than the new comics todsy. Could it be better paper are is it rushing a factor?
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme

btw @Johnny_B I'm waiting for books from the same convention as well. @esaravo already posted pics of his, idk how he got them before us!

The two I got back were signed by Stan Lee and promised back before Christmas as a special deal by CBCS at RICC. When I asked CBCS about them right after the holidays because I didn't get them back, Steve Ricketts helped me out (thanks again, Steve).
The other eight comics that I submitted at RICC (all witnessed signatures) just went from grading to QC. I might get those back next week. Did yours hit grading yet? They should have been in the same pile/stack of books as mine.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Nothing yet on my end no. Still "Received". However, I submitted for Red Label so I may be a week behind you
Post 14 IP   flag post
@esaravo There was a billing issue with my credit card originally. They misplaced a digit, so mine sat in limbo until the 23rd of November I believe. So that was when my timer started, when they corrected the issue. So mine were still a week or two off from getting graded.
Post 15 IP   flag post
@comicsforme I agree. I see so many issues at the shops with the brand new issues. At least I do with Marvel. The other companies seem pretty stable.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector steveo76 private msg quote post Address this user
I've owned a couple dozen copies of Killing Joke over the years and I can't say I've ever seen a defect that pressing was going to remove. That glossy cardstock is not forgiving.

As others have said, with the other books you list it's really a matter of whether the defects break color and if you'd get 9.6 or 9.8 should the defects come out. Otherwise it's just money wasted.
Post 17 IP   flag post
600878 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?