Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedQuestions

Scanning questions1881

I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I am thinking about buying the Microtek Scanmaker i800 Plus. Before I pull the trigger and spend just over $700 with shipping I was hoping to get some feedback here.

I am looking at this particular scanner because I have one friend with the i800 which takes great scans but takes about 45-50 seconds to complete a scan including warm-up. One of my other friends purchased the i800 plus and can complete a scan of similar quality in about 10 seconds without any warmup.

I have reviewed the scanning threads here and on the CGC forum and understand that there are at least a dozen different scanners (mostly older HP, etc.) that can take great scans of slabbed books but did not see much information about any of them being fast except for a couple of the very expensive Epson scaners.

I just want to see if there are any less expensive options (for fast quality scans) before I spend this kind of money on my scanner. Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
What's wrong with a $100-$200 scanner? Only an artist making prints of their artwork should need the resolution of a $700 scanner. If your only goal is scanning for ebay or records of your collection spending that much is overkill.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I had no way of knowing that 9.8 graded copies signed by Adam Hughes weren't what you were looking for. drchaos private msg quote post Address this user
I have no problem with a $100-200 scanner but I do not want to wait 30-45 seconds or more for each scan. The reason I posted here was to find out which of these cheaper scanners can make reasonable good scans but only take 5-15 seconds to do so.

If you have an inexpensive scanner that you are happy with, please let me know more about it.

Thanks again.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector NorthernCollector private msg quote post Address this user
Size of the scanning bed is important ... you may not be able to get the entire slab to fit on the bed ... depends on your volume, I guess ... usually, if I want to post a pic of one of my slabs, I'll just take it to a Staples or Office Depot and they'll do it and save it on your USB for a few bucks ...
Post 4 IP   flag post
I am going to be scanning and selling a high volume of books. That is why speed is important. I am willing to pay extra to complete the scans faster but I am hoping there is a less expensive option than the one I have found.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You might have the resolution too high, which is causing slow speeds. 300 dpi should be enough for a good scan.
Post 6 IP   flag post
So which scanner would you recommend?

What settings, time have you experienced using it?
Post 7 IP   flag post
I left a message for my friend to find out what settings he has been using on the i800 but I know part of his problem is that it rakes time to warm up.

I have been using my cell phone camera but would like ro get better scans and not wsste as much time trying to get the pictures right.

If you are getting results, please let me know qhat you are using.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
If you are just scanning raw, bagged and boarded comics, any $50+ all-in-one can handle that. If you want to scan slabbed comics, you need a scanner that can take legal-sized documents. I purchased an HP Scanjet 8300 on eBay for under $100 (they typically run from $75-200). It came with a plug and the scanner; I supplied the USB cord. I went to HP's website and downloaded two free software programs: HP Solution Center and HP Photo Essential 3.5. That's it. You turn it on, open HP Solution Center and pick scan picture. I usually pick the 75 dpi setting, or the scan is too big to upload to this site or others. It takes roughly 10-15 seconds to scan, and you can scan as many comics as you like without exiting the program. It actually takes longer to remove the slabs from their mylar bags than it does to scan.
Here's a scan I just did:

Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Why are you people still using scanners to shoot comic books? It's soooooooo old school and soooooooo passee. Not to mention a waste of money. Laying a book face down on a flat glass does not capture an accurate three dimensional representation of a book's true condition from all angles. Especially on raw books. It in fact actually distorts and hides imperfections because you are un-naturally flattening the book in order to shoot it. All you need is a digital camera (something you probably already own on your mobile phone) to shot the book from all angles from above. The images and angles you get shooting with a camera are FAR more accurate and flexible than the ONE distorted view/angle you get with an expensive flat bed scanner. BTW, a mobile phone can go ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE with you. A big, slow, 10 to 40 second per image scanner cannot.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
@esaravo....great info..and sweet book
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Sirtoddington private msg quote post Address this user
I use a Epson Expression 11000XL It's a large format scanner. But it's pretty expensive.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson
Why are you people still using scanners to shoot comic books? It's soooooooo old school and soooooooo passee. Not to mention a waste of money. Laying a book face down on a flat glass does not capture an accurate three dimensional representation of a book's true condition from all angles. Especially on raw books. It in fact actually distorts and hides imperfections because you are un-naturally flattening the book in order to shoot it. All you need is a digital camera (something you probably already own on your mobile phone) to shot the book from all angles from above. The images and angles you get shooting with a camera are FAR more accurate and flexible than the ONE distorted view/angle you get with an expensive flat bed scanner. BTW, a mobile phone can go ANYWHERE and EVERYWHERE with you. A big, slow, 10 to 40 second per image scanner cannot.

Um.... I think you may not know how to scan. I have NEVER had any of the issues you have mentioned.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@truckjohnson...I like being old school ...it sets me apart from my kids and i actually like the OCD nature of having all my books uniform in the exact same style of photo and angle..it relaxes me for some strange reason

However, I agree with one significant point...my scanner wont pick up super light bends when the cover is pressed flat on the screen (but it's a cheap scanner)...I can only see the bends at a angle with my phone (and the right light reflection)
Post 14 IP   flag post
@Sirtoddington: Oh I know how to scan. I just don't waste my time doing it to comic books. But tell me "Master of the Scanner", how do you show the spine of a raw book (from the side) using scanner?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtoddington
I use a Epson Expression 11000XL It's a large format scanner. But it's pretty expensive.

The scsnner you are using looks great but it is more expensive than the Microtek i800.

Also, someone mentioned scanning at only 75 dpi. I would like to keep the scans to a minimum of 300 dpi. If anyone can suggest a scanner that can do 300 dpi or better in less than 20 seconds I woykd appreciate it
Post 16 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watcher
@esaravo....great info..and sweet book

Might be the best 60 cents I ever invested. LOL

PS - I see you're in RI. It's a small state, so maybe our paths will cross. If there are any comics that you are looking for, send me a PM.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
@truckjohnson...I like being old school ...it sets me apart from my kids and i actually like the OCD nature of having all my books uniform in the exact same style of photo and angle..it relaxes me for some strange reason

However, I agree with one significant point...my scanner wont pick up super light bends when the cover is pressed flat on the screen (but it's a cheap scanner)...I can only see the bends at a angle with my phone (and the right light reflection)

Exactly. A scanner can only shoot the front and back of a book. Not the spine or any of the sides. A digital camera is cheaper, faster, and provides a more ACCURATE image of the book's TRUE CONDITION from countless angles. A scanner is like a mylar sleeve: a crumpled book looks better shot on a scanner, just as a crumpled book looks better in a mylar.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Hey Es...that is awesome...most of my 60 cent purchases are now worth 10 cents ...you kill me .

And yes, RI...so I will keep in touch...I pretty much blew my funds in December..but I'm certainly always looking AND it's great to have someone near by that enjoys the hobby (my wife is getting tired of it ).
Post 19 IP   flag post
You don't need side shots of a slab.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@truckjohnson...I actually only use the scanner to show someone I have the book (with a solid idea of condition). I really just use it to catalog. I figure slabs speak for themselves and don't need 3D scanning as long as they can see centering and overall eye appeal. If it's raw and I'm selling..then yes..I'll add camera shots ..but most of my raws are 3.00 books so I don't go too crazy with it
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
You don't need side shots of a slab.

I already said this mostly applies to raw books. But if the side of the slab has a crack or damage you would not be able to capture it with a scanner because you are limited to front and back only. Nevertheless, my point remains the same: why spend several hundred dollars to capture images of ONLY the front and back of a book? Slabbed books can be shot with a digital camera as well.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by drchaos
Quote:

The scsnner you are using looks great but it is more expensive than the Microtek i800.

Also, someone mentioned scanning at only 75 dpi. I would like to keep the scans to a minimum of 300 dpi. If anyone can suggest a scanner that can do 300 dpi or better in less than 20 seconds I woykd appreciate it

I never scan less then 300 dpi on regular scans. however... any OA i have I scan at 500-600.
Post 23 IP   flag post
So far we have talked about the following scanners:

1. Epson Expression 11000X - awesome but also the most expenssive
2. Microtek Scanmaker i800 Plus - also awesome but roughly $700
3. Microtek Scanmaker i800 - Takes about 45-50 seconds for 600 dpi about 15-20 seconds for 150 dpi - a little too slow
4. HP Scanjet 8300 - 15-20 seconds at 75 dpi - also too slow

Any other suggestions?
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
@truckjohnson...I actually only use the scanner to show someone I have the book (with a solid idea of condition). I really just use it to catalog. I figure slabs speak for themselves and don't need 3D scanning as long as they can see centering and overall eye appeal. If it's raw and I'm selling..then yes..I'll add camera shots ..but most of my raws are 3.00 books so I don't go too crazy with it

You would think so but people do complain (or not buy slabs) because they don't like the scans. 300 dpi should be fine for my purposes.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Sirtoddington: Oh I know how to scan. I just don't waste my time doing it to comic books. But tell me "Master of the Scanner", how do you show the spine of a raw book (from the side) using scanner?

I never scan raw's unless it's OA. I don't have a need to be anal about needing images of the spines of my books.... But there's a way. Trust me on that. I know things.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@drchaos - I just tried the HP at 300 dpi. It does take longer, about 35-40 seconds for the original scan, then another 15-20 seconds to scan the image to the file. By the way, the file size at 300 dpi was 28.1 MB. It can scan up to 4800 dpi.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

I never scan raw's unless it's OA. I don't have a need to be anal about needing images of the spines of my books.... But there's a way. Trust me on that. I know things.

Trust you? You know things? Okay, Mr. President-elect.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@drchaos..I know Doc...I've been through it. But you sound like you're dealing with higher end books so your hands are tied. You need something better that what I use it for. Mine is no good with slabs so I didn't even list it . I figure if a guy is going to drop 2k+ on a book he isn't going to want to see camera shots
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Trust you? You know things? Okay, Mr. President-elect.

Hey.... iI'm an artist for a huge publisher. & trust me.... you have to know how to scan all sorts of stuff for projects. lol.
Post 30 IP   flag post
598015 49 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?