Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel85301
Ok, stupid question, this is why I am asking.

I got a low grade Marvel Super-Heroes currently on its way to me that I bought online. I will be sending it this week to this Roy Thomas event (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=394005337650134&set=gm.1410370309037729&type=3&theater)

So once I get it signed, do you all suggest I still get it pressed by CBCS? or should I not mess with it?

yeah pressing it before is ideal but what about after?

Sorry, still new to all this.

You can have it pressed by us after it has been signed. It does not have to be pressed before.
Post 201 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
If I submit several books to be graded, but only one want to be pressed, would I be charged a separate return shipping, or would they all come back to me at the same tine?
If this question has been answered already, I apologize.
Post 202 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathyus_42
If I submit several books to be graded, but only one want to be pressed, would I be charged a separate return shipping, or would they all come back to me at the same tine?

It would be split up and put on another invoice, and shipped back separately.
Post 203 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

Would it then have a separate shipping charge, or is that factored into costs already paid?
Post 204 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Would it then have a separate shipping charge, or is that factored into costs already paid?

If it was originally created on one invoice, there will be additional charges for splitting a book off and shipping it separately.
Post 205 IP   flag post

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveRicketts You've got my grail in your hands now, Steve!

Post 206 IP   flag post
Collector NeganKilledMe private msg quote post Address this user
Can you press blank comics that have been sketched on like the one below? I have another one similar to this one that has a nice ding in the top left corner.

Post 207 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@NeganKilledMe In most cases, yes. Mostly depends on what the artist used for the art.
Post 208 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@NeganKilledMe In most cases, yes. Mostly depends on what the artist used for the art.

This is the answer you seek.

The blank variants are on some pretty thick paper, but I do have pretty good success in getting a lot of the defects out.

Even books that are done with watercolor, I have some success with.

Thicker paints and stickier mediums are the hardest to do anything with.
Post 209 IP   flag post
Collector NeganKilledMe private msg quote post Address this user
Awesome, thanks for the quick responses!
Post 210 IP   flag post
Collector 1forchrist private msg quote post Address this user
Is your company attending the Indiana Comic-Con this upcoming weekend?

I have a couple of books

1) Get re-holdered with the new label
2) Press and/or graded

Would I have package any of the raw books or just bring the books bagged and boarded in addition to the graded ones?

Thanks!
Post 211 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
News and Events
Post 212 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Ooooh can you still raw grade a magazine format?
Raw grade is an option for anything up to treasury size.
Post 213 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
This may have been asked and answered, if so my apologies. I was curious why on the CBCS website there is no mention of the pressing service that Steve is offering. I mean when I click on services, I don't see it even listed. Also, I do like the brief videos CBCS has posted on YouTube when they have had a label change, and would like to see more videos posted by them on there, but was curious if an official CBCS video on their pressing service will be posted up on YouTube, perhaps showing the steps involved, how its done, etc.
Post 214 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
A magician never reveals how he does it...

:o)
Post 215 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
There's quite a bit of updates still missing from the site.
Post 216 IP   flag post
Collector Sagii private msg quote post Address this user
Hi, this question has nothing to do with pressing, but was wondering if CBCS could provide me with a scanned image of a slab i bought? If i have to pay a fee, i don't mind. Pictures just don't do it justice for my 'archives'.
Post 217 IP   flag post
@Sagii if the original submitter did not add the $5 photo option then there is no photo. If they did, then the photo will show up in the free grader notes. Incidentally, CBCS doesn't scan the slabs, they use a camera, but they are really good at it.
Post 218 IP   flag post
@DarthLego Thank you, really appreciate the assist!
Post 219 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@Sagii if the original submitter did not add the $5 photo option then there is no photo. If they did, then the photo will show up in the free grader notes. Incidentally, CBCS doesn't scan the slabs, they use a camera, but they are really good at it.

If you want a pictorial archive of your slabs, you might as well plan on buying a scanner suitable for slabs.

I believe that there is a discussion topic here on these boards on what kind of scanners work with slabbed comics. Basically you don't want anything currently sold at the store unless it's about $900. Because all new scanners use a imaging sensor called Contact Image Sensor (CIS) These sensors can only "see" something pressed flat against the glass scanning bed.

When it comes to scanners for slabs, eBay and Craigslist are your friend. You want an older scanner that uses Charged Couple Device sensors (CCD) These have a focal length that allows them to "see" objects up to and around a quarter inch away from scan bed. Which is where a comic in a slab is at. HP Scanjets in the 8000 model range (mine is a 8300) were popular in business and government agencies and are routinely sold on eBay for reasonable prices. Built like tanks they last nearly forever & HP keeps the drivers up to date for current versions of Windows

I know one person that takes (excellent) pictures with a camera as does CBCS. You can get good pictures with a camera with a lightbox. They are expensive to buy but you can find plans online to make your own lightbox inexpensively. The problem is simple - close up photography - especially of things highly reflective like a slabbed comic - require excellent light diffusion and a uniform background. You can't ever achieve that with a slab on the floor in a room of your house.
Post 220 IP   flag post
@IronMan Thank you. I will look on eBay for such a scanner.
I've read on one of the Boards , can't remember which, one of the big 3 auction houses actually takes pictures (not scans) of their books.
I guess yes, it's all in the lighting. I have tried a scanning app on my android phone but the images are too 'darks' to me
Post 221 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
So I have some books that will have to go through CGC first due to yellow label with Todd McFarlane.

They need to be pressed badly. This will cost me more, but can I do this: So I guess I will have to yellow label them with low grades at CGC - then have them opened and pressed and regraded with CBCS.

Will they retain the yellow label but receive higher grades? Thank you
Post 222 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke yes, Steve can crack em and press them and they will retain yellow label. When you do your invoice add the info for "Authentic signature" just as if you were doing a regular submission for yellow.
Post 223 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Can I have verification on this please
Post 224 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
it has been stated in many previous threads. e.g. go back to this thread item 170.
Post 225 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
If I submit a SS for pressing will CBCS honour the SS?

Yes.

Thanks
Post 226 IP   flag post
1948 Fox Features Syndicate BLUE BEETLE #54

I would like to know if @SteveRicketts can fix this spine roll? I also would like it cleaned very well and carefully. What sort of grade bump (or loss) could I expect from an ambitious project?

Thank you

Here's the photos:

Post 227 IP   flag post
Please send that to Steve immediately, my eyes!
Post 228 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
1948 Fox Features Syndicate BLUE BEETLE #54

I would like to know if @SteveRicketts can fix this spine roll? I also would like it cleaned very well and carefully. What sort of grade bump (or loss) could I expect from an ambitious project?

Thank you

Here's the photos:

Spine roll, it depends on how fragile the book is. I can't tell for sure without having the book in hand.
It appears to be fragile. Any work done on it would have to be done carefully.

Pressing isn't generally a problem. Unless the book is brittle, I can usually press without damage. Cleaning and spine realignment is a different animal. Light surface cleaning may be all I could do with it.
Post 229 IP   flag post
I was hoping even your light cleaning would do wonders for this book. The spine roll would be a major bonus if you could fix it. Is this something you feel like tackling? I can send it to you no problem. However, I don't want to crack it open or waste anyone's time if you think this book would be better left in it's current case.
Post 230 IP   flag post
597904 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?