Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I read it wrong, thought it was the whole show for 10.

I guess my point was more that it takes guys a good bit of time for some books. I sent CFP a difficult one and he has been working on it off and on for a week. $20 is dirt cheap for that amount of work.

On the orter hand, I've had guys press a book for under $20 and the book comes back looking like a mack truck ran it over. They probably just stuck it in a hot press on extreme pressure for 15 minutes. (To Steve's point, there are a lot of bad recipies out there)
Post 76 IP   flag post
@GAC CBCS starts at $12 and I believe every tier includes clean

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Dont get me started on some of the People out there , i get e-mail's weekly on books that have been pressed by these $10 guys pressing Hulk 181's , its not pretty.
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an idea for @SteveRicketts how about adding a before and after photo to the pressing service for $5. Have the photos emailed to the client after pressing, but before it goes to the grading room.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Here's an idea for @SteveRicketts how about adding a before and after photo to the pressing service for $5. Have the photos emailed to the client after pressing, but before it goes to the grading room.

This is a good "Quality" step that can be incorporated. I see a similar step used in manufacturing. But usually is done on a specific process, so the engineers can see the activity in somewhat of a real time scenario.

Good post DL!
Post 80 IP   flag post

Quote:

Ive been doing this very thing for years , my clients love it.

The trick is not just taking a straight on shot of the book gotta focus on the issue at hand and try and use the same angle for the "after" shot.

I see a lot of before and afters on pages and posts that are very deceptive, gotta be careful and ask questions of your presser.

and PS if anyone actually pays $5 for a before and after shot im gonna be rethinking my pricing , ive been doing it as a perk for a very long time now. That just seems like way too much for a couple pictures.
Post 81 IP   flag post
I just sent one to steve that will be my first submission for a press that's not shipped back to me first.

I always want to see the book first before submitting for grading, so yeah not a bad idea darth
Post 82 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Before and afters like this?

Post 83 IP   flag post
Oh Damn! He breaks out the skill shot!

Seriously though impressed. That must have taken forever, I'm surprised something like that could even come out, it would seem the paper was essentially stretched.
Post 84 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:

That's is unbelievable!!! Is the before shot an embossing? Or is that a clear sticker?
Post 85 IP   flag post
It was embossed, like with a notary stamp. It said "property of..." I couldn't make out the rest.
Post 86 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
It was embossed, like with a notary stamp. It said "property of..." I couldn't make out the rest.

Is this an example of CBCS' pressing work? If so, that is THE best pressing example I've ever seen. It's borderline wizardry! I would not have thought you could press out an embossing (as seamless as your example). That is brilliant. I'm really really impressed with this.
Post 87 IP   flag post
Yes, I pressed that out a few days ago.
In hand, you can't tell it was ever there.
Post 88 IP   flag post
That truly is incredible!!! You should get the word out of the quality of your pressing. Examples like this needs to be viewed by the public. Great work!!
Post 89 IP   flag post
Quote:

This could persuade me to invest a few $$$s. Very nice SR. I think examples are one of the best ways to show quality.
Post 90 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

That's is unbelievable!!! Is the before shot an embossing? Or is that a clear sticker?

YUP just like that very good !
Post 91 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Nice job Steve. Embossing is almost as hard to get ride of as teeth marks.
Post 92 IP   flag post
The Force is strong with this one @SteveRicketts

Post 93 IP   flag post
One more.
This book was used to balance a checkbook. It may have even been used as a coaster. The before pic can't even do it justice.

It was written on with so much pressure that it actually scratched the surface of the paper. Had it not been for that, I could have completely taken out the damage.

The light has to hit it just right to see what little is left. It turned out very nicely, I think.

Post 94 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Do you have any experience with TPB covers? I have one that was obviously underneith a piece of paper as someone wrote.
Post 95 IP   flag post
The thicker the cover, the harder it is to get damage and indents out.
Though it's possible given the right circumstances.
Post 96 IP   flag post
Quote:
One more.
This book was used to balance a checkbook. It may have even been used as a coaster. The before pic can't even do it justice.

It was written on with so much pressure that it actually scratched the surface of the paper. Had it not been for that, I could have completely taken out the damage.

The light has to hit it just right to see what little is left. It turned out very nicely, I think.

That's truly amazing!!! Great work!!!
Post 97 IP   flag post
Show more examples
Post 98 IP   flag post
Sure.

I just finished this book.
Was a CGC 7.0.
The bends on the bottom corners went through the book.
I think the grade will go up on this one.

Before first, then after.

Post 99 IP   flag post
Truly fantastic work!! Very very impressive indeed!! These pictures should be up on your site to promote your new pressing service. Your pressing skills are truly incredible!
Post 100 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Truly fantastic work!! Very very impressive indeed!! These pictures should be up on your site to promote your new pressing service. Your pressing skills are truly incredible!

a website update ! come on your asking for a miracle lol , but yeah nice work Steve looks good
Post 101 IP   flag post
Collector Kinsella5 private msg quote post Address this user
Regarding the price tier on pressing/screening, so it's basically $5 to get the professional opinion on if the book would benefit from pressing, or $12 to go ahead and have it pressed/cleaned? That being the Modern Tier, correct? If a person opts for the $5 screening and they say yes to pressing, are they charged $7 more or the $12 amount, thus costing the person $17 for the screening/pressing?
Post 102 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinsella5
Regarding the price tier on pressing/screening, so it's basically $5 to get the professional opinion on if the book would benefit from pressing, or $12 to go ahead and have it pressed/cleaned? That being the Modern Tier, correct? If a person opts for the $5 screening and they say yes to pressing, are they charged $7 more or the $12 amount, thus costing the person $17 for the screening/pressing?

Yes, correct.
Post 103 IP   flag post
Okay...where do I sign up?????

:o)
Post 104 IP   flag post
@SteveRicketts Now that you have pressing do you think CBCS will ever introduce a cleaning service? You'd be a "one stop shop" and the only game in town with a press, clean and sig verification service.
Post 105 IP   flag post
598012 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?