Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector outlawmonster private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer message me when you get a set of results! I wanna see the final tally.
Post 51 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
I dunno. CBCS pressing sounds kind of Dicey to me.

Post 52 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
I don't understand why people think that 3rd party graders now pressing is a conflict of interest.
Post 53 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
If we're thinking "inflated" grades then they don't need to press to inflate grades. They could and would already be doing that. The whole concept of 3rd party grading is based on impartiality so if they're trusted for that then why not pressing?
Post 54 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
If we're thinking "inflated" grades then they don't need to press to inflate grades. They could and would already be doing that. The whole concept of 3rd party grading is based on impartiality so if they're trusted for that then why not pressing?

Steve said in a recent interview that the graders will not and cannot find out if a book was pressed and by whom. That pretty much put the impartiality argument to bed for me.
Post 55 IP   flag post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

Steve said in a recent interview that the graders will not and cannot find out if a book was pressed and by whom. That pretty much put the impartiality argument to bed for me.

Precisely!!
Post 56 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Why not just include pressing on all books and include it in the service?
Post 57 IP   flag post
Happiness is a value marketing tool.
Post 58 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
@ZosoRocks That would push TATs into the stratosphere. Also the graders would then know every book was pressed. Also many people have no desire for book pressing.
Post 59 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Some people view pressing as restoration.
Post 60 IP   flag post
Quote:

In other words " I want it for free"!

LOL!!!!
Post 61 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
I don't understand why people think that 3rd party graders now pressing is a conflict of interest.

If you are referring to my post, it was more of a joke that the Head Presser and a few other folks might have gotten rather than a comment regarding conflict of interest, although the play on words was part of the joke.
Post 62 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

If you are referring to my post, it was more of a joke that the Head Presser and a few other folks might have gotten rather than a comment regarding conflict of interest, although the play on words was part of the joke.

I apologize if I came across as facetious. I did not intend to. But maybe I'm missing something. Is it a conflict of interest? I just don't see how.
Post 63 IP   flag post
@GAC if the graders knew that Steve pressed the books, it most certainly would be (but again we now know its not). Say the graders did know the book was pressed in-house: Even if the graders dont intentionally overgrade, they could do so inadvertently just because they like Steve. Or worse, the graders want the pressing department to do well and thus start inflating grades to boost the pressing reputation.

Look at CGC as an example. They do restoration as well. They are being sued for both undergrading and spreading biased opinion to heritage auctions of a competitor restoration company's work, in order to promote their own restoration department. Or so the lawsuit says anyways.
Post 64 IP   flag post
Quote:
@GAC if the graders knew that Steve pressed the books, it most certainly would be (but again we now know its not). Say the graders did know the book was pressed in-house: Even if the graders dont intentionally overgrade, they could do so inadvertently just because they like Steve. Or worse, the graders want the pressing department to do well and thus start inflating grades to boost the pressing reputation.

Look at CGC as an example. They do restoration as well. They are being sued for both undergrading and spreading biased opinion to heritage auctions of a competitor restoration company's work, in order to promote their own restoration department. Or so the lawsuit says anyways.

I understand that but couldn't that be said about the whole grading process itself? If we trust 3rd Party graders with providing impartial grades do we not kind of have to trust them with this too? Not saying 3rd party graders get an automatic pass but if there is going to be impartial shenanigans it's likely to appear in the grading process.
Post 65 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
Quote:

and in reality, if we get down to it, isn't it a form of restoration?
Post 66 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

My only argument against pressing being considered restoration is that nothing is added to the book. all that's happening is a flattening....but the purest in me would still consider it a form of resto.
Post 67 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Restoration is bringing something back to what it was, closer to its original state, by changing the object - adding or subtracting to it.

Pressing is neither, since it doesn't add or subtract, the object hasn't changed, it isn't a new thing different than what it was before.

There is definitely a sense that it is a form of restoration because, well, it looks better than it did before.

The question to ask is if you get a book that has a cover corner folded so that it is showing the first wrap underneath, and you unfold it so the wrap no longer shows, is that restoration? You made the book look better, but you didn't really alter it.
Post 68 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

I understand that but couldn't that be said about the whole grading process itself? If we trust 3rd Party graders with providing impartial grades do we not kind of have to trust them with this too? Not saying 3rd party graders get an automatic pass but if there is going to be impartial shenanigans it's likely to appear in the grading process.

Yep, it all boils down to who you trust.

Agreed on the restoration as well; it doesnt add anything and cant be detected (and when it can be detected its considered a flaw).
Post 69 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC

I apologize if I came across as facetious. I did not intend to. But maybe I'm missing something. Is it a conflict of interest? I just don't see how.

Dick said it was "Dicey" because that is what people call me on the CGC board, because my user name was DiceX.
Post 70 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

LOL!!!!

I didn't say that, and I would be willing to have a few dollars incorporated into the grading fee...

I've never had a non pressed, but am willing to try it out.

I just can't see $20.00 per book, with no guarantees the grade will improve or not.

IMO....*smiles*....and that ain't no game news either!!
Post 71 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:
Quote:

My only argument against pressing being considered restoration is that nothing is added to the book. all that's happening is a flattening....but the purest in me would still consider it a form of resto.

Which...IMO....could be a great marketing tool for CBCS....all books get pressed before grading.

If cleaning or restoration is needed, then pressing comes after that step...and then onto grading.

Everyone is treated the same.
Post 72 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAC
Quote:

LOL!!!!

I didn't say that, and I would be willing to have a few dollars incorporated into the grading fee...

I've never had a non pressed, but am willing to try it out.

I just can't see $20.00 per book, with no guarantees the grade will improve or not.

IMO....*smiles*....and that ain't no game news either!!

I agree with you! I think cbcs is charging $30 per book to press. Way too much in my opinion. I get my books pressed now for $10 per book (and the pressing is excellent!!). Press and clean for $18 a book and the results are amazing!! Here are the guys who do it:

https://www.monstahonline.com/
Post 73 IP   flag post
A good press/clean can take 5 minutes, or a full day when needed. I'd be nervous of someone charging only $10...
Post 74 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
A good press/clean can take 5 minutes, or a full day when needed. I'd be nervous of someone charging only $10...

CFP starts at $10 He has many satisfied customers
Post 75 IP   flag post
I read it wrong, thought it was the whole show for 10.

I guess my point was more that it takes guys a good bit of time for some books. I sent CFP a difficult one and he has been working on it off and on for a week. $20 is dirt cheap for that amount of work.

On the orter hand, I've had guys press a book for under $20 and the book comes back looking like a mack truck ran it over. They probably just stuck it in a hot press on extreme pressure for 15 minutes. (To Steve's point, there are a lot of bad recipies out there)
Post 76 IP   flag post
@GAC CBCS starts at $12 and I believe every tier includes clean

Post 77 IP   flag post
Collector gary_k private msg quote post Address this user
Dont get me started on some of the People out there , i get e-mail's weekly on books that have been pressed by these $10 guys pressing Hulk 181's , its not pretty.
Post 78 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an idea for @SteveRicketts how about adding a before and after photo to the pressing service for $5. Have the photos emailed to the client after pressing, but before it goes to the grading room.
Post 79 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Here's an idea for @SteveRicketts how about adding a before and after photo to the pressing service for $5. Have the photos emailed to the client after pressing, but before it goes to the grading room.

This is a good "Quality" step that can be incorporated. I see a similar step used in manufacturing. But usually is done on a specific process, so the engineers can see the activity in somewhat of a real time scenario.

Good post DL!
Post 80 IP   flag post
601228 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?