Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Walker
New pressing / grading submissions that don't have fast pass for the modern, expanded or consumer tiers shows up with a 24 week processing time. 12 for the pressing and 12 for the grading.

I have multiple pending orders at the moment. Some with pressing and some without. So, I feel the pain on the 5-6 month wait time for orders that include pressing and aren't in one of the faster grading tiers.

Personally, I'm fine if people pay for fast pass or any of the expedited grading tiers and going ahead of my books in the grading line. Obviously they paid for that. However, it wouldn't be right if someone in the same grading tier (i.e. non-fast pass modern, consumer or expanded) goes ahead of my books in the grading queue simply because their books were pressed. If that was the case, and despite the added cost for pressing, I'd get all of my non-fast pass modern, expanded or consumer books pressed simply to get free expedited grading.

BTW, I recognize nobody actually said they felt their books should go to the front of the grading line. Just my two cents on why I think the current setup of going to the back of the grading line makes sense.

The system is putting in the maximum time on the invoice. We have a target turnaround range on all of our tiers for grading and pressing. The system is giving you a time that comprises the maximum times for each service.

Say you do a Modern with pressing. The target for Modern grading is "8-12 weeks" and the target for Modern pressing is "10-12 weeks." In this case the system would put "24 weeks" on the invoice.

In reality the turnaround on Modern grading could be 6 weeks, and Modern pressing could be 6 weeks. The system can't predict when an order will be done, so we have it show the maximum time from the targets.
Post 351 IP   flag post
Collector DaveSammy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Walker
New pressing / grading submissions that don't have fast pass for the modern, expanded or consumer tiers shows up with a 24 week processing time. 12 for the pressing and 12 for the grading.

I have multiple pending orders at the moment. Some with pressing and some without. So, I feel the pain on the 5-6 month wait time for orders that include pressing and aren't in one of the faster grading tiers.

Personally, I'm fine if people pay for fast pass or any of the expedited grading tiers and going ahead of my books in the grading line. Obviously they paid for that. However, it wouldn't be right if someone in the same grading tier (i.e. non-fast pass modern, consumer or expanded) goes ahead of my books in the grading queue simply because their books were pressed. If that was the case, and despite the added cost for pressing, I'd get all of my non-fast pass modern, expanded or consumer books pressed simply to get free expedited grading.

BTW, I recognize nobody actually said they felt their books should go to the front of the grading line. Just my two cents on why I think the current setup of going to the back of the grading line makes sense.

The system is putting in the maximum time on the invoice. We have a target turnaround range on all of our tiers for grading and pressing. The system is giving you a time that comprises the maximum times for each service.

Say you do a Modern with pressing. The target for Modern grading is "8-12 weeks" and the target for Modern pressing is "10-12 weeks." In this case the system would put "24 weeks" on the invoice.

In reality the turnaround on Modern grading could be 6 weeks, and Modern pressing could be 6 weeks. The system can't predict when an order will be done, so we have it show the maximum time from the targets.

@SteveRicketts thanks. The system is what it is. The info on the cbcs site is less than stellar, so threads like this are a comfort. I can't control the wait. I'm assuming because I was charged a separate fee for the books upon receipt back in April, that pressing will be done on every book submitted in my case, because I asked for every one to get pressed. I'd rather get it done well & correct than rushed. I tried the rush technique the last time (without pressing) & I am sorry to this day - what's the use of getting your books back quickly if you are better off flushing all of that wasted money down the toilet.
Post 352 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Mabey you guys should tell all your ebay customers the first time ever(never been pressed)special. Might be faster and cheaper.
Post 353 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The only way to tell a book is unpressed is to have visible pressable flaws. Buyers want everything to be NM.
Post 354 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So looking at this thread, if you want your books pressed you are looking at a 1/2 year to get them back? If that is the case, might have to look at other options.

I'm grappling with this right now too. Problem I have is this: Some other pressers will take 3-6 weeks, if they're not slammed for pre-convention rush orders, to turn a book around. Add the shipping to and from and you could be in a ball park of 8 weeks. So that cuts down a little time, but there's a downside:

You are sending the books to the presser, sent back from the presser, sending/taking to the con (if you're getting it signed), and then sending to CBCS. Its an extra layer of shipping and handling that adds opportunities to damage or lose the book. Also, you're paying for all that extra shipping. If you send to CBCS you're cutting that cost and some risk out, which is nice.

At the end of the day, it seems like a wash. Pressing pre-submission may save a little time but entails risk and cost. Submitting to CBCS to press and grade all at once and your children could be in the next school grade by the time you get the books back. We pick our poison I guess.

This hobby is complicated.
Post 355 IP   flag post

@DarthLego Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The only way to tell a book is unpressed is to have visible pressable flaws. Buyers want everything to be NM.

That's another thread entirely. Maybe if many sellers stopped charging NM prices at the base level for books not even 1/3 that grade level condition and extended that out exponentially, some folks' expectations might be more realistic. When people are selling a 3.0 for a 9.2 Guide to start, that's tough. Some buyers are never happy, I'll give you that.
Post 356 IP   flag post
I try to get my signings myself as much as possible. 90% myself
Post 357 IP   flag post
@Themaxx35 Technically, my 2 kids will be making X-Mas lists by the time I might get my order & they were in a different school grade back when I sent it in.
Post 358 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
One option in saving press time....submit at local comic con on-site pressing for $20 bucks and then pick up and submit to be graded.
Post 359 IP   flag post
If only
Post 360 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Hopefully with Steve ft pressing the time can come down. I have for pressing as a trial but if the pressing and grading time will be 6 months it will be a consideration for future submissions
Post 361 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
My turnaround for 5 books pressed and graded was just over 14 weeks from the date they showed being received to when they were delivered to me
Post 362 IP   flag post
@farseer Quote:
Originally Posted by farseer
My turnaround for 5 books pressed and graded was just over 14 weeks from the date they showed being received to when they were delivered to me

That would be nice considering I'm at 13 now, I doubt it though, with convention season pushing all of our stuff backward. One can always hope.
Post 363 IP   flag post
If someone is asking 9.2 prices on 3.0 books move along. What that person does won't effect the market because they won't have any sales.
Post 364 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

were any of your books VSP? just curious.
Post 365 IP   flag post
Collector farseer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_adam_R
Quote:

were any of your books VSP? just curious.

No VSP, just straight press and regular turnaround. Nothing expedited.
Post 366 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user
Lots of eBay sellers asking 9.2 prices on 3.0 books...
Post 367 IP   flag post
Move along
Post 368 IP   flag post
Collector keefriffhards private msg quote post Address this user

Post 369 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,

Could you please clarify the steps I should take?

I have a CGC SS comic. I would like to submit it to CBCS and retain the Signature Series status, but I would also like it Fast Pass Pressed by Steve.@SteveRicketts

What should I do or write on the invoice when I send it in?
Post 370 IP   flag post
@KingNampa When you fill out the online invoice for the book click on the "Add authentic" link at the bottom and then fill in the Name and Date signed from the CGC label. This will add the $5 fee for yellow label to your invoice as well as put the name and date of the sig onto the invoice. When you print your invoice write on it that you want that book sent to pressing. Send the slab in intact, CBCS will have to open it themselves to ensure the label. I've done this myself once, but I did not have mine pressed.
Post 371 IP   flag post
Collector KingNampa private msg quote post Address this user
@DarthLego

Thank you sir!
Post 372 IP   flag post
Should have asked prior - when the books are received by cbcs & pressing is requested, do the books 1st go to the presser for 8-12 weeks min & then those are sent to cbcs for the beginning of the grading process? The books go from the presser queue, finally get through that process, then get sent through the grading process, also beginning at the end of that queue? That, in essence becomes where the semi-annual grading process timeframe comes from?
Post 373 IP   flag post
So, how do Con folks get their books in such a short timeframe? If they get pushed to the front of the line, and cbcs is at seemingly every Con known to mankind taking as many books as humanly possible and then some, us saps at the end of the line that have to mail in our books get pushed backward endlessly? Con submits are generally promised very quick turn-around times, so fast the plastic on the cases is still warm I think.
Post 374 IP   flag post
@DaveSammy pressing is done in house at CBCS by Steve Ricketts, so the books will be inside one building the whole time. Pressed books, from what I've seen, start their grading time wait at the end of pressing, so you have to add both TATs together to get your total time estimate.

Books submitted at Cons do not jump in line. But there are different tiers of service, there's fast pass, rapid, 2-day, 1-day, you get speed if you pay for speed. CBCS also will on occasion do on-site grading, where the do the whole encapsulation process right there at the con, that of course costs a bit more than standard grading.
Post 375 IP   flag post
Thank you @DarthLego. I understand if you pay more, you get better (i.e. quicker) service. I'm already paying -- mind you I didn't send in any "uber value" books, no Hulk 181s, etc. for a total of 7 books only, $54.86 A BOOK. That's a load of cash for each book. $384 for 7 books. With zero guarantee of anything.

Now that I just realized how much this cost, my head hurts & I don't even know if my books sent in back in April are even through with pressing. Or if pressing was a benefit, all I know at this point is I've already committed a load of money 3+ months ago.

It might have been less expensive, literally, for me to fly down to Florida for the day & drop them off personally. I also could have taken a bicycle back to the upper Midwest in less time.
Post 376 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSammy
So, how do Con folks get their books in such a short timeframe? If they get pushed to the front of the line, and cbcs is at seemingly every Con known to mankind taking as many books as humanly possible and then some, us saps at the end of the line that have to mail in our books get pushed backward endlessly? Con submits are generally promised very quick turn-around times, so fast the plastic on the cases is still warm I think.

I submitted 27 books at the Phoenix Comicon and I was not promised any faster TAT. They still say 8 to 12 weeks from the time of receiving. I also submitted 2 books out of the 27 for pressing and they said it adds 4 weeks to the TAT. I didn't do any fast pass or anything to speed up the process. I am patient and just want the job done right. It will be worth the wait.
Post 377 IP   flag post
That's my hope @Kaleljll. The books are for me, so if I get them back quickly and done like hell, it's totally not worth it. I pray these days.
Post 378 IP   flag post
Collector Kaleljll private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSammy
That's my hope @Kaleljll. The books are for me, so if I get them back quickly and done like hell, it's totally not worth it. I pray these days.

This is my second submission with CBCS, it will be worth it. I can't wait to get those 27 books back and get them displayed in my man cave. I spent a lot of money to have these books sent in as well and I totally understand your apprehension. You are not being pushed to the back of the line by Comicon submissions though, I am a perfect example of that. Trust in the process, the guys at CBCS, and just be patient.
Post 379 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Themaxx35
Quote:
Originally Posted by moodswing
So looking at this thread, if you want your books pressed you are looking at a 1/2 year to get them back? If that is the case, might have to look at other options.

I'm grappling with this right now too. Problem I have is this: Some other pressers will take 3-6 weeks, if they're not slammed for pre-convention rush orders, to turn a book around. Add the shipping to and from and you could be in a ball park of 8 weeks. So that cuts down a little time, but there's a downside:

You are sending the books to the presser, sent back from the presser, sending/taking to the con (if you're getting it signed), and then sending to CBCS. Its an extra layer of shipping and handling that adds opportunities to damage or lose the book. Also, you're paying for all that extra shipping. If you send to CBCS you're cutting that cost and some risk out, which is nice.

At the end of the day, it seems like a wash. Pressing pre-submission may save a little time but entails risk and cost. Submitting to CBCS to press and grade all at once and your children could be in the next school grade by the time you get the books back. We pick our poison I guess.

This hobby is complicated.
I have always found that the poison picks me.
Post 380 IP   flag post
600512 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?