Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by poka
If I submit a SS for pressing will CBCS honour the SS?

Yes.

Thanks
Post 226 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
1948 Fox Features Syndicate BLUE BEETLE #54

I would like to know if @SteveRicketts can fix this spine roll? I also would like it cleaned very well and carefully. What sort of grade bump (or loss) could I expect from an ambitious project?

Thank you

Here's the photos:

Post 227 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Please send that to Steve immediately, my eyes!
Post 228 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
1948 Fox Features Syndicate BLUE BEETLE #54

I would like to know if @SteveRicketts can fix this spine roll? I also would like it cleaned very well and carefully. What sort of grade bump (or loss) could I expect from an ambitious project?

Thank you

Here's the photos:

Spine roll, it depends on how fragile the book is. I can't tell for sure without having the book in hand.
It appears to be fragile. Any work done on it would have to be done carefully.

Pressing isn't generally a problem. Unless the book is brittle, I can usually press without damage. Cleaning and spine realignment is a different animal. Light surface cleaning may be all I could do with it.
Post 229 IP   flag post
I was hoping even your light cleaning would do wonders for this book. The spine roll would be a major bonus if you could fix it. Is this something you feel like tackling? I can send it to you no problem. However, I don't want to crack it open or waste anyone's time if you think this book would be better left in it's current case.
Post 230 IP   flag post

What's the grade?
Post 231 IP   flag post

serial # 1221652005

click to zoom images

Post 232 IP   flag post
I'm game if you are.
Post 233 IP   flag post
I just paid for the grader's notes:

light foxing back cover
medium hole right top of front cover
moderate chews full top of front cover
small tear top of back cover
small, multiple piece out top of spine
Post 234 IP   flag post
I honestly think for the money you spend trying to upgrade that copy, use it and invest in a nicer copy.

That book may be tough to get above the 3.0
Post 235 IP   flag post
I think so too. Thank you
Post 236 IP   flag post
Wow, I didn't realize those were holes in the cover.
Post 237 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Seeing two people working together and coming to a mutually beneficial agreement just warms my cockles.

Post 238 IP   flag post
I read that first as cookies lol
Post 239 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Seeing two people working together and coming to a mutually beneficial agreement just warms my cockles.

Yeah care to elaborate? What's a cockle?
Post 240 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Quote:

Yeah care to elaborate? What's a cockle?

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?IDArticle=3690&improper-pressing-defects
Post 241 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/warm_the_cockles_of_someone%27s_heart
Post 242 IP   flag post
Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

DITTO - except for the cockles part.

I do have a question, however. I'm assuming from the dialogue that removing the spine roll and cleaning the book would not be considered resto?

If I owned that book, I might be inclined to do the work anyway and Damn the grade. Considering the Classic cover, it would simply become an extra Sweet 3.0 and might be worth the cost.

But if it were then considered restored - a different story.

Way cool book in any event...
Post 243 IP   flag post
@burntboy a simple press and dry cleaning would not be considered restored by any of the grading companies.
Post 244 IP   flag post
Also spine realignment is not resto.
Post 245 IP   flag post
Collector burntboy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Also spine realignment is not resto.

Steve; in your opinion, would this book look much better with a dry cleaning??
Post 246 IP   flag post
Probably.
Post 247 IP   flag post
I still think I should roll the dice and go with it. The only thing I'm worried about is CBCS usually gives me a grade lower once it's graded from a CGC slab.

I'm all about making this book look more appealing and visually attractive and would prefer a higher grade but I would be OK with the same grade too
Post 248 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke do you plan on keeping the book?
Post 249 IP   flag post
Another issue is some would say I paid way too much for this book. Others have told me I just created a new market price for this grade since there hasn't been a book sold since 2013. I want to keep this book for a bit as an investment copy. It's such a cool cover.

Thoughts?
Post 250 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
One other thing to keep in mind when dealing with a book like this is any movement can cause a spine split, broken pages, tears, etc. when you think of all the handling a book goes through when being dry cleaned and pressed it is during the cleaning that the majority of issues can be introduced. Even the softest set of hands can damage a book if the paper is worn too much or it is just too brittle to be handled.

So while a dry cleaning may make it look better it can definitely make things worse, even if the attempt to do it was done right.

Some books just need to be left alone. This may be one of them.
Post 251 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke are you saying you bought the only copy to come to market in 4 years? Yeah, I'd send it to Steve and then keep it in that case.

Edit: With the caveat that Steve leave it be if the pages are brittle.
Post 252 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
@kaptainmyke are you saying you bought the only copy to come to market in 4 years?

Yep! That's why I acted on it, and apparently so did the other 18 different bidders. I figured it was like the TMNT #1, a $5,000 book selling for $25,000 at a 9.8? Ridiculous. But when I spotted this book was sitting at 900 all week people were taking notice of this $600 book super fast.
Post 253 IP   flag post

Post 254 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by burntboy
Quote:

DITTO - except for the cockles part.

I do have a question, however. I'm assuming from the dialogue that removing the spine roll and cleaning the book would not be considered resto?

If I owned that book, I might be inclined to do the work anyway and Damn the grade. Considering the Classic cover, it would simply become an extra Sweet 3.0 and might be worth the cost.

But if it were then considered restored - a different story.

Way cool book in any event...
In a nutshell, if you can detect it, it's restoration. If you can't detect it, it's not restoration.
Post 255 IP   flag post
601269 982 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?