Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
MemorabiliaPop CultureQuestionsStatuesToys

"THE" Collection in large Storage Facility?1830

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
The time has come that I must consider moving my massive and expensive collection offsite to a Public Storage facility. This would be one of the large units, 1st floor, indoors, climate controlled, gated access.

Why? The TURTLES and COMICS have TAKE OVER! That's why! I have no where to place my beloved collection as I'm running out of space!

25 short boxes of comics
2 autographed graded boxes of comics
26 rubbermaid storage tubs of autographed and mint on card turtles and sealed playsets
1 large storage tub that houses the $2500 sealed signed Technodrome playset and Kevin Eastman's personal signed #3 CGC 9.4
4 more rubbermaid storage tubs upstairs with me in the office
1 tub of action figure fodder for my studio madness

I've done some pros and cons. Fears aside, this could aide that. Fear #1: a house fire. Fear #2: I never want this family to get a stupid puppy since they tear up and get into everything. Fear #3: Flood or water damage.

The number one pro is that the collection would be offsite so if there were a house fire or burglary or flooding - the collection is safe. The number one con is that there would be a monthly fee now, costing me $275 a month for a huge unit on the 1st floor or $150 a month for a medium unit upstairs with elevator access. However, the value of the collection overall in total is a huge contrast to a monthly "protection fee", if you will. Sure we have renter's insurance on the home we rent - but will they really replace some of my holy grails and precious time sought afterwhich? Of course not.

Being climate controlled and humidity controlled - this should be good right? Why would you do it? And why would you NOT do it?

Thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
The big reasons to do it are what you've already said, so I won't rehash those.

The big reason not to do it is the limitation of liability associated with the storage unit. Even if you obtain insurance from the company for the unit, don't count on anyone honoring the policy the way you would expect. In fact, there may be exclusions for valuable collectables just like for jewelry.

So I would look into obtaining a policy to specifically cover your collection, if at all possible. And weigh that additional cost into your calculus.

Also, the safety of the storage unit is dependent on the employees. In my personal experience, I found that a liquid had seeped under the gate of a unit I previously had, which damaged a mattress. The storage company was of no help since it required a limitation of liability by contract, and even the insurance company was difficult to deal with. And that was only for a mattress.

So I would say if you can assume the risk of something happening and purchase the proper insurance for your collection, then do it. But if you don't plan on doing your homework, forget about it. The key is attention to detail.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
I say look up Collectors Insurance and place boxes on top of a pallet in order for the boxes not to be damaged by any seepage.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
See this is exactly why I posted here... I almost didn't. So, in light of damage to my unit from other units, would the probability factor be significantly less if on the top floor? This is a new 3 story Public Storage facility just built 1 year ago btw.

Collectibles Insurance for the Turtles would be $201/month
Collectibles Insurance for the comics would be $205/month

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user
Get a storage shed?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Domogotcomics private msg quote post Address this user
I would check the theft history of the unit with public record. There are a few storage facilities by me that have had units robbed numerous times a year. Try to find the most secure unit and load it off peak with as little eyes to see your stash as possible.
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Keep it all in the sewer 😁

Really though, personally I wouldnt because of the cost, and because I like to have my jewels close at hand. Most importantly though, is that fascilities have the RIGHT to CONFISCATE your stuff!

I keep my grails in here
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/cannon-ts5950-75-safe and my other "replaceable items" are relatively unprotected aside from the house smoke alarms.

Would your grails fit in that? I understand you have many, maybe buy three 😎
Post 7 IP   flag post
I might also add, that a friend of mine from PA makes his living (yes, his only source of income) traveling the east coast buying the contents of units and hawking them on ebay and flea markets.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@shrewbeer
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
See this is exactly why I posted here... I almost didn't. So, in light of damage to my unit from other units, would the probability factor be significantly less if on the top floor? This is a new 3 story Public Storage facility just built 1 year ago btw.

Collectibles Insurance for the Turtles would be $201/month
Collectibles Insurance for the comics would be $205/month

I would invest that $406 a month in getting my own home.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@shrewbeer

Haha theres a show about it as well?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
@Shrewbeer: There is a TV show about EVERYTHING! Storage Wars has been on since 2010.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Wow. I would assume they glorify it like theres TONS of money doing it as well?

In reality, my buddy is quite poor and basically lives out of his POS old box truck, but he does enjoy his life, so theres that I suppose.

@KaptainMyke you've got a very difficult choice for sure. Too bad theres not some kind of museum that would house it for you, I sure would like to see that "Turtle Room" come to fruition
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
So, in light of damage to my unit from other units, would the probability factor be significantly less if on the top floor?

It's interesting, because I think the benefit of being on a higher level is that the contents of your storage unit would likely be harder to steal. Seriously.

The problem with spills and the like is that liquid can get into anything, but SpiderTim's solution -- using palettes -- addresses that. The liquid that entered my unit must have come from an adjacent one, not above, given the solid metal ceiling of my unit.

As for the insurance, that's a hefty sum on top of the storage costs. Not sure what the optimal solution is for you, short of maintaining the status quo and just continuing to do what you're doing. Or bite the bullet and pay the money so you can reclaim part of your space for other things.

I recall a picture you posted of where you currently store a bunch of stuff. Are you planning on using that room for something else?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
I ran a storage facility in Hollywood and can not stress this enough:

DO NOT PUT ANYTHING OF VALUE IN A STORAGE UNIT!!!!!
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs
I recall a picture you posted of where you currently store a bunch of stuff. Are you planning on using that room for something else?

Yeah we could use the space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D84
I ran a storage facility in Hollywood and can not stress this enough:

Then what is the purpose of a storage unit? To just store possessions that contain no value?
Post 16 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
For the cost that you're looking at and the security issues I think a better option for you might be to look into getting a large storage shed built on your own property (given that you have room for it). You could then insulate it so you can install some climate control, and for security add a SimplySafe alarm. After a year without paying that storage fee the shed would pay for itself.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Honestly, there is no reason to have a storage unit. If you don't want it in your house, get rid of it. You will end up spending enough in storage to buy everything over again.

But why you don't store high dollar items is that they are not secure. You have employees who don't care, cameras that don't completely cover everything, homeless and drug addict tenants and police who see these broken into so often that they won't take it seriously. Finally, if you have the insurance, they will find a way not to pay.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Oh yes, and most storage units have in the contract a maximum dollar value for what can be in the unit, to limit their liability.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Would do it because: (wouldn't do it).

Wouldn't do it because: a lot of the reasons listed above; Don't have collection with you anymore, better use of money, risk vs. liability limits, if you have any payment issues the contents can be seized, security. . .

Another reason that hasn't been addressed yet: a friend dealt with the same situation. His collection was huge and he ran out of room. He put his collection into storage. Guess what happened. . . in a few years he has refilled the space in his house with more stuff for his collection and he wound up needing to get a larger storage unit. I wish I was kidding but he told me the other day that he is "almost full" again.
Post 20 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
One thing I'll add to why I wouldn't do it is after awhile you start to look at the fees racking up on your things just being stored some place. When iv used storage before it gets to the point where it's do I even need these things anymore. It becomes another bill because unless the storage place is very close to you how often are you really going to visit your collection. I'd keep it at home I know storage space is becoming a problem but I'd personally down size some before renting an additional storage unit.
Post 21 IP   flag post

Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Self storage is stupid. Buy a bigger house. I have a shipping container. You can get them cheap, $2000ish for a 20ft, $3000ish for a 40ft. Very secure with the right locks and I always have a AK47 or AR15 ready for Thieves. Dog alarms and a backhoe to get rid of the body's. Dealing with the police is too much of a hassle.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
I think you shouldn't do it. I was going to mention the big, empty space in your house that you would inevitably start to fill up again, but VaComicsGuy beat me to it. So I'll say this instead, which will maybe drive you crazy:

$405 + $150 storage fee = $555 per month. That's like buying an ASM #121 at 9.0 once a month and then throwing it away. Or buying a Tec #359 at 9.4 every nine months. And throwing it away. You could buy a BEAUTIFUL FF #4 at 9.0 every 15 months. And then use it to start a fire in the fire place. And then throw it away.

The point is, security sucks. And it sucks not because of the money, but because of what the money represents: the comics you COULD have bought instead.

Maybe start selling your doubles and triples instead? You don't need more than one TNMT #1 (first print!) signed, when you already have TNMT #1 (first print!) signed from Eastman and Laird's personal collection, right?

I agree with TruckJohnson ... save up for a house!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
$405 + $150 storage fee = $555 per month. That's like buying an ASM #121 at 9.0 once a month and then throwing it away. Or buying a Tec #359 at 9.4 every nine months. And throwing it away. You could buy a BEAUTIFUL FF #4 at 9.0 every 15 months. And then use it to start a fire in the fire place. And then throw it away.

+1
Post 25 IP   flag post
We are not in the position to own a home anytime in the future.

Not everyone has a credible employed full time job, with perfect health and good credit to purchase a home.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
Hey Mike, I have had an A-1 storage unit as well as several Public storage's over the years here in the Bay Area. I was excited that the rooms were climate controlled, as told, but they were not, the hallway was though. The storage themselves are not very secure either (at least here) I was told the walls in the storage were cement....they weren't.. they were chipboard and in one case 1/2 inch drywall. It only takes one unit to get broken into and the thief can go through the walls..all the way down the line. We never got robbed but that info was always in the back of my mind. Might be different were your located, but these are just a couple things you may want to check before storing high value items. Good luck!
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@shrewbeer

Another thing about the industry, they will sell your stuff quickly if you get behind. Depending on the state you live in, it can be as little as 45 days past due for them to have the auction.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
We are not in the position to own a home anytime in the future.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but your collection could probably easily buy a house at this point, if not put down a sizable downpayment.

Not gonna tell you to sell it, but maybe it is time to start a serious thinning out of the stuff you really don't need?
Post 29 IP   flag post
I've sold off my collections three times in my life, and each time only two books survived all three purges (SA&GA GL#1s). Probably NOT what you want to hear, but as Darth said maybe it's time?

Wife and kids have been wanting an inground pool, and I know she has been eyeballing my collection. Truth is if she got up the balls to ask I would probably say yes and save my few grails. For me, the thrill of the chase is more exciting than swimming in a money bin. It's still quite painful to sell it off though.

Sucks you've outgrown your shell dude, but who knows it could be a good thing. Hope you find your way, one that makes you and the family happy 👍🏻
Post 30 IP   flag post
600771 64 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?