Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
This may be a dumb question. When cbcs asks the insured value of the comic, is that that the value before or after grading? The terms say they won't pay more that the insured value you filled in if something happens to the books. Just wondering. Thanks
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
It's the value of replacement of the book should CBCS destroy it, how much it would take to replace the book in the condition you sent it to them.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector VisceralDreams private msg quote post Address this user
That's what i thought. Thanks
That Lego Batman movie is going to be awesome btw Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
It's the value of replacement of the book should CBCS destroy it, how much it would take to replace the book in the condition you sent it to them.
Post 3 IP   flag post
If you submit a hot book you may want to bump it up a little, considering that they could have it for 3 months, the price to replace it might be more than you consider at the time.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

That is not a true statement!! I have a 1948 "The SECRETS BEHIND THE COMIC BOOK" written by Stan Lee, signed by STAN LEE, graded by CBCS at a 7.0 and it was damaged by CBCS in slabbing. I had to have the book repaired (by an outsider), regraded by CGC (now 6.5)and slabbed. CBCS refunded my cost to them (CBCS) and they offered give me the difference in the two grades NOT the $400 (grade 7.0 and signed by Stan Lee) they said it was worth.
Post 5 IP   flag post
You still had the book, which was repaired and not replaced. CBCS effectively paid you the cost of the damage they caused. Had the book been irreparably damaged, do you not think they would have made you whole? I would hope that they would have.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
You still had the book, which was repaired and not replaced. CBCS effectively paid you the cost of the damage they caused. Had the book been irreparably damaged, do you not think they would have made you whole? I would hope that they would have.

The problem is my book PER CBCS should have never been slabbed. It is too thick and should have been sent back. Now, I have a book (RESTORED) and at a lower grade (7.0 down graded to a 6.5), I had to pay for the repair AND regraded and slabbed by CGC. I'm not a fan of CGC but they seemed to stepped up to the plate. Oh, CBCS just refunded my fee (grading and COA) nothing more.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel

... CBCS refunded my cost to them (CBCS) and they offered give me the difference in the two grades NOT the $400 (grade 7.0 and signed by Stan Lee) they said it was worth.

Quote:

The problem is my book PER CBCS should have never been slabbed. It is too thick and should have been sent back. Now, I have a book (RESTORED) and at a lower grade (7.0 down graded to a 6.5), I had to pay for the repair AND regraded and slabbed by CGC. I'm not a fan of CGC but they seemed to stepped up to the plate. Oh, CBCS just refunded my fee (grading and COA) nothing more.

Something just isnt adding up here 🤔, you taking the piss or am i just confused? They offered you the difference in grade from the 7 to whatever it was after damage? And if thats true so why would you not take the money?
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Quote:

... CBCS refunded my cost to them (CBCS) and they offered give me the difference in the two grades NOT the $400 (grade 7.0 and signed by Stan Lee) they said it was worth.

Quote:

Something just isnt adding up here 🤔, you taking the piss or am i just confused? They offered you the difference in grade from the 7 to whatever it was after damage? And if thats true so why would you not take the money?

The difference was $50.00. It cost me just under $100.00 to get it restored (by an independent restorer) and slabbed by CGC. So I lost the value of a solid grade 7 book to a now restored 6.5. The point being I'm not happy with the final result. Plus, CBCS knew they shouldn't have tried to slab it so why did they? If they hadn't I 'd have my grade 7 book back and much happier.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ima gonna steal this and look for some occasion to use it! IronMan private msg quote post Address this user
Well, I understand your frustration. However - "insurance or settlement" should be thought of as what you have on your car. If the insurance company totals your car out - they KEEP your car. You have to hand over title and keys to get the check.

Since you still have the book - the most CBCS owes you is value lost. If you want $400, you have to give them the book.

Expecting $400 and to get to keep the book is unreasonable on your part. The book still has value.

IMHO CBCS should have refunded you more than just the cost of grading. A restored copy of such an uncommon book might be worth 50-60% of unrestored. But they do not owe you $400. Nothing even close. Unless you hand over the book.

It's also likely that CBCS "learned" they shouldn't slab that book - not that they "knew" they shouldn't slab the book. It's not like you are talking about a New Mutants 98. Your copy was likely the first - and last - they encapsulated.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan
Well, I understand your frustration. However - "insurance or settlement" should be thought of as what you have on your car. If the insurance company totals your car out - they KEEP your car. You have to hand over title and keys to get the check.

Since you still have the book - the most CBCS owes you is value lost. If you want $400, you have to give them the book.

Expecting $400 and to get to keep the book is unreasonable on your part. The book still has value.

IMHO CBCS should have refunded you more than just the cost of grading. A restored copy of such an uncommon book might be worth 50-60% of unrestored. But they do not owe you $400. Nothing even close. Unless you hand over the book.

It's also likely that CBCS "learned" they shouldn't slab that book - not that they "knew" they shouldn't slab the book. It's not like you are talking about a New Mutants 98. Your copy was likely the first - and last - they encapsulated.

Thank you IRONMAN for that. CBCS did say if want the $400 then they would have kept the book. Which was out of the question. To me it's a one of a kind item. I've never seen it before and a signed copy is a very rare item to me. Thanks again for your reply.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
seen a few come and go on ebay.(currently 5 on it) here is one up now: clickable text
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnylray
seen a few come and go on ebay.(currently 5 on it) here is one up now: clickable text

Hmmm, $255 BIN + $100 to replace the signature + Grading Fees pretty much brings us back to that $400 insurance settlement
Post 13 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Sounds like CBCS screwed up but did right by you in their offers for cash. Sucks that it happened, but its good to know they were willing to pony up 👍🏻
Post 14 IP   flag post
597887 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?