Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Silver AgePop Culture

Thrill of the Hunt-Garage sale/Market Finds182

Collector Maverick private msg quote post Address this user
One of the biggest things for me in collecting comics is that thrill of finding a key issue or rare book that youve been searching for. I love going into an unknown shop or market and just digging through boxes.

I equally enjoy seeing other peoples finds. We all love seeing those pictures and hearing those stories, so I encourage everyone to share and post your finds here.

One of my best finds was also one of my most recent. Over winter break last year i finally had a chance to look through a collection Ive been chasing for years. Roughly 100,000 comics to go through with most of it being late 80s and 90s drek. I eventually pulled out 5-6 longboxes of stuff I wanted and went home a happy man. Next time i went back It was all gone. The antique store was closed and the collection was gone as fast as it appeared.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Picked up a handful of books this morning at the local market. Mostly mid grade bronze with a few mid to lower grade keys. Pretty happy to find the sgt fury 8

Post 2 IP   flag post
Pretty slow the last couple of days with work and classes but i found some overstock. All high grade. Might send in a few to get graded, not sure if its worth it.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Garage sale find from this morning. Funny thing was i ended up knowing the people from a previous sale from last year in a completly different city.

Anyways this ladys mom helped run a comic shop in the earlry 70s and still has everything. I didnt get the name or city where she sold the books but i passed along my number to set up a bigger sale in the future.

I thought i was going to come up empty handed this weekend but i lucked out and reconnected with a great contact.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Garage/yard sale finds are without question, exciting and fun to locate. However, being a condition whore myself, ultimately they end up being items I sell, or are uninterested in keeping.
Post 5 IP   flag post
@VillageIdiot I admit. Most of the stuff i find out in the wild i rarely put in my personal collection. Some stuff i just cant pass up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Pretty slow weekend. I took a roadtrip to little outdoor antique market and hit up a shop that i frequent every now and then. Picked up a bunch of dollar books. Nothing special.

Also grabbed some non comic stuff that i had to have. The last item being extremely rare, im super lucky to find it at any price.

Post 7 IP   flag post
I know there hasent been much feedback or participation on this subject so ill probably stop updating after this post. I just wanted to show a few books i picked at the little local auction house by me.

Both of the big books were in two separate stacks. No one had any clue what they were. Super happy to have these. Plus a few sketch covers i found interesting.

Post 8 IP   flag post
Wow. Very nice finds.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick
I know there hasent been much feedback or participation on this subject so ill probably stop updating after this post. I just wanted to show a few books i picked at the little local auction house by me.

Both of the big books were in two separate stacks. No one had any clue what they were. Super happy to have these. Plus a few sketch covers i found interesting.

Nice win!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector James private msg quote post Address this user
Keep posting, please! If I had some good finds I'd post them, as it stands I live vicariously through you.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector warbooks private msg quote post Address this user
I like your photos of your finds
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Keep on posting, Maverick. You make me want to move to Michigan. I haven't found any good comics at a yard sale or flea market in like 20 years. You should have your own TV show, like American Pickers, but for comics!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user
Keep posting, I like them too.

I'll even contribute. I picked this up at a con yesterday for $20 bucks!!!

Been looking for a copy of this for a good price for a while, never thought the price would be this good though!

Post 14 IP   flag post
Thanks guys. I suppose ill keep posting. I picked up some books this morning. Ill update with some pics when i get home.

Id love to see everyones hauls. I dont want this thread to be about me.
Post 15 IP   flag post
This was the last garage/yard sale comic find I had. Classic comics/Illustrated 21-168 (a few dupes) for $2... a book! You can't be GA for less than $3.00 a book. The average grade was about a Fine 6.0 and roughly 40% were originals. Also included were the send away hardcover binders that were created for the books. Paid $390 for it all. Kept a few, and sold the rest for about $3300 I was very pleased, and surprised.

example:

Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
This was the last garage/yard sale comic find I had. Classic comics/Illustrated 21-168 (a few dupes) for $2... a book! You can't be GA for less than $3.00 a book. The average grade was about a Fine 6.0 and roughly 40% were originals. Also included were the send away hardcover binders that were created for the books. Paid $330 for it all. Kept a few, and sold the rest for about $3300 I was very pleased, and surprised.

example:

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
This was the last garage/yard sale comic find I had. Classic comics/Illustrated 21-168 (a few dupes) for $2... a book! You can't be GA for less than $3.00 a book. The average grade was about a Fine 6.0 and roughly 40% were originals. Also included were the send away hardcover binders that were created for the books. Paid $330 for it all. Kept a few, and sold the rest for about $3300 I was very pleased, and surprised.

example:

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:

example:

Post 19 IP   flag post
Nice little pickup this morning at a new spot. Ran into a few comic/paper vendors that I've met in the past, which was nice.I found a few minor keys, some cool george perez covers and some misc silver age. I also got a lead or two on some big collections.

Post 20 IP   flag post
Nice little pickup today at one of my local honey holes. Almost didnt stop in. Im glad I did. About 70 books total, at a dollar a book I couldnt paas them up.

More pics to follow on some of the highlights
Post 21 IP   flag post

Some george perez WW, j scott Asm

A few tpbs

A few late series/low print books. Ive never seen those maxx book in the wild especially in this nice of condition.
Post 22 IP   flag post

Variants

Post 23 IP   flag post

And finally a nice group of minor keys.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
Here's the story behind this one.

Supervisor at work GAVE me a shoebox full of old books. A few really ragged golden age books, and a selection of equally beat up silver age books. Maybe 30-40 in the box. Not a bag or board to be seen anywhere.

The story goes her boyfriend's Mom had bought these books at a local yard sale 30-35 years ago, and never took them out of the box. Period. Well, they are in the process of moving, and she asked him if he still wanted the books in the box. He expressed no interest and to just pitch them, but she decided to give them to me because she knows I collect comics.

So, I'm thumbing through the books, and I see a few titles pop out. Journey Into Mystery, Amazing Adult Fantasies, Tales To Astonish. I recognized them from time on these boards.

I need to interject right here and say I'm not into silver age books. I like modern comics. Not that I don't love the stories from the silver age. I don't like the dated "language" and overall "hokey" story lines. BUT THAT IS JUST ME! PLEASE PUT THE TORCHES AND PITCHFORKS AWAY!

Now, when I got home, I decided to reach out to a person in a Facebook group who I know is in my area, and collects a lot of silver age stuff. I know this, cause he would post it from time to time.

I send him a few pics of the titles I mentioned above, and quickly he points out that he is interested in...

Tales To Astonish #27.

I'll be honest. I didn't know the significance at the time. I won't lie. I didn't know what I had.

I open a new browser tab and go to eBay. I type it in...

"OH MY GOD!"

My fiance thought someone died or something the way I said it. She came running in.

Just a few minutes prior to her running in, I half jokingly said to her as I came walking in with the shoe box, "I could be carrying a treasure chest right now!" She chuckled and said "Oh boy! Fingers crossed!" I need to say it was dripping with sarcasm. Hahahahaha!

Well, a few hours later, the guy I was talking to put me in contact with a potential buyer. Now I'm not going to divulge what the buyer paid. I don't "kiss and tell." It's not polite. But we were both happy with the deal that was struck. But more importantly, another book was saved from a trash bin.

The Moral of the story? If someone hands you a shoebox full of comics... you take it. You thank them.

Post 25 IP   flag post
@Loiselle313 Very nice book. Super jealous. That's an extremely high grade looking book. Should have had CBCS slab it. I hope you guys got paid well
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
If I ever have a good find, shoot, any find at a sale of some sorts, I will post it. LOL
Post 27 IP   flag post
Back with my latest finds from over the last few days. I took a break from buying a few weeks ago but I was really jonesin and needed a fix.

A new 2nd N Charles opened up in the Detroit Metro area and I figured it would be a great opportunity for some stealth buys.I Picked up a few books there and then stopped at the local flea on the way home

Picked up this limited print.

Scoured the comic bins for a few decent finds.Anything worth a damn, I snagged. Would not recommend digging there for awhile.

The next few books came from the local flea. Stopped by on a whim and it paid off. I cant get enough of vintage paper stuff like this, you just dont see this kind of stuff out in the wild.

Absolutely love that American flag cover on the Flying Aces.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick

I gotta ask, what is that 4th book in? The one under the King Sized Spidey. And I agree, that flag cover is awesome!!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Adventures of Bob Hope #85, in about vg condition.

Post 30 IP   flag post
598059 67 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?