Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeMemorabiliaPop CultureToys

One Shots, Oddities, and Unknowns178

Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a promotional comic on the gasoline engine!! I included a page from the inside to give you a feel for it.

Post 26 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for sharing, Jesse. I have some car and energy-type promotional comics also. I will post some scans later.
Post 27 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Here's a promo from 1965 by Chrysler called "The Real Fun Of Driving!!" Note that they put two exclamation points because they were so jacked about the 1965 fastback Barracuda! As a bonus, the art is by Kurt Schaffenberger.

Post 28 IP   flag post
I also somehow ended up with a hand-full of comics from the Adventures in Science Series by General Electric (Pictorial Media, Inc.) that were put out between 1955 and the early 1960's. Let me know if anyone knows anything about these oddities.

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Here's a promo from 1965 by Chrysler called "The Real Fun Of Driving!!" Note that they put two exclamation points because they were so jacked about the 1965 fastback Barracuda! quote]

As you probably know. I have a 66' Barracuda. I need one of these books for my collection. Got an extra?
Post 30 IP   flag post

You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user

Post 31 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
Here's a promo from 1965 by Chrysler called "The Real Fun Of Driving!!" Note that they put two exclamation points because they were so jacked about the 1965 fastback Barracuda! quote]

As you probably know. I have a 66' Barracuda. I need one of these books for my collection. Got an extra?

Only one of those, but we could probably work something out!
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O I love these type of comics. Nice copy.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Two more odd-balls.

Post 34 IP   flag post
How about a give-away by Ivory Soap from 1950. For 15 cents (cash) and two soap wrappers you could get 6 mini-comics from Oxydol-Dreft. I have three, but the John Wayne is missing its cover. Can CBCS slab this type of comic?

Post 35 IP   flag post
If you look hard enough, you start to see comics everywhere,

Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Secret Squirrel and Morocco Mole teach us about kite safety!

Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Here's an odd book based on a super niche, low-selling (<250k), 11-year old video game. The game designer is known for making very strange, unique games that I can best sum up as David Lynch/Punk/Otaku. I got to meet him at SDCC last year and had him sign my book. He signed it with his nickname "Suda 51" but the label mispelled it as "Sudasi" so I'll have to get it reslabbed to fix it.

The 12 issue mini-series adaptation was cancelled after issue 4. Issue 0 was available as a bonus if you pre-ordered the game and issue 1/2 (this one) was available at SDCC.

Currently, there's only 1 copy of each of issues 1-3 in the series in the cgc census. All signature series so I'd wager they're all owned by the same person. This particular issue doesn't seem to be listed in cgc's census.

Post 38 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
A double shot of one shot!

Post 39 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Here's another oddball. It is actually a World's Finest #105 (Nov, 1959) with a cover from a drugstore. We believe that the drugstore removed the cover, got credit from the distributor, and put their own cover on and gave them away with prescriptions for kids. It these kind of oddball comics that I absolutely LOVE!!

Post 40 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O These are the kind that as a child introduce and make you love comics.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Collector Darryl_H private msg quote post Address this user

Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Jeffreykli private msg quote post Address this user

Post 43 IP   flag post
Here are four more promos. The Mighty Atom is the 1966 version, the Wizard of Light is the 1970 version, The Story of Water Supply (by Willing Water) is from 1969, and The Story of Electricity is also from 1969 (with Kurt Schaffenberger art).

Post 44 IP   flag post
Here is my favorite promo comic. It's from 1969 with Neal Adams front and back covers and interior art.

Post 45 IP   flag post
Three more one-shots.

Post 46 IP   flag post
601205 46 21
This topic is archived. Start new topic?