Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSP

What grade if you don't VSP a signature?1778

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Say you have a comic in 9.8 condition with a signature on the cover, but you DON'T opt to get it VSPed. It will be blue labeled of course, but will you get dinged on the grade? Anyone have a real world example? Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I would imagine that at that point it is treated as "writing" or "name on cover" and the size and obstrusiveness might come into play.

Barring any other major flaws, my gut says to expect no higher than an 8.5 but I can't really back that up with examples at the moment. The first example of a signature in the Overstreet guide is an interior signature at 8.5 but also includes some spine stress and small cover creases.

Overstreet actually says that "Small, inconspicuous, lightly penciled, stamped, or inked arrival dates are acceptable as long as they are in an unobtrusive location" are allowed as high as a 9.9
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector SavageFinale private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Say you have a comic in 9.8 condition with a signature on the cover, but you DON'T opt to get it VSPed. It will be blue labeled of course, but will you get dinged on the grade? Anyone have a real world example? Thanks!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user

So if I send in the above comic and don't VSP the signature, the signature will knock the grade down at least 1.5 points?
Post 4 IP   flag post
@Despain I'm not 100% sure what the minumum hit to the grade would be but I think that sounds about right if you treat the signature as writing on the cover instead of a desired signature. Witnessing, verifying, or qualifying (if using CGC) negates the hit to the grade, which is one of the reasons why CBCS' VSP program was such a big deal because it acknowledged and authenticated the signature without disregarding it as "name written on cover" as the CGC Qualified label does
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
Cgc takes 1 full point off grade if grade is 8.0 or less. Not sure what cbcs would do
Post 6 IP   flag post
UPDATE: So I think I got an answer to my question. I submitted a comic that was a definite 9.8, but with a signature from a cover artist that wasn't in the CSA database. Well I just got the grade after they were not able to verify the signature... 9.2

I think it's a little unfair that I still got charged the $25 for VSP though since the non-verification was not due to the signature being fake but rather because they did not have anything to compare it to. The invoice had the artist's name of course, so why not reject it before charging?

Comic in question; that "wear" is how the book is supposed to look btw

Just shipped so I got the grades today

Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Here is the list of signatures they can verify to save you the same problem in the future. http://www.csacomics.com/cbcssignatures.htm
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I think it's a little unfair that I still got charged the $25 for VSP though since the non-verification was not due to the signature being fake but rather because they did not have anything to compare it to.

I just sent one in...I don't remember how it was laid out...but I thought you had the option not to get it slabbed if the verification did not confirm the authentication...with mine I have a COA and it's a common/easily verified signature...so I've no worries...but just curious that they still slabbed it for you.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
Here is the list of signatures they can verify to save you the same problem in the future. http://www.csacomics.com/cbcssignatures.htm

I know, but for some reason I thought I heard that if they didn't have the signature they would reach out to the artist for a sample.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogio
I just sent one in...I don't remember how it was laid out...but I thought you had the option not to get it slabbed if the verification did not confirm the authentication...with mine I have a COA and it's a common/easily verified signature...so I've no worries...but just curious that they still slabbed it for you.

Yeah they do, but I selected the "slab anyway" option because I was sure it would pass (have COA from shop that commissioned the variant cover) and even if it didn't I did not consider it would be a grade hit until now. My only option for a 9.8 now would be to submit it to CGC for a green label or wait until CSA has the signature on file.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Drogio private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you went the pgx route...which I'm sure you won't get much encouragement to do in this forum...
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
I went through this last year and it took some leg work, but cbcs was fair about it. It just took some phone calls .

I had a triple sig submitted for verification...Kirkman and 2 local artists. Kirkman passed , but the other two weren't in the data base . I ended up with a 9.0.

I face booked the one artist I could find..told him my situation and he reached out to the other artist. Both contacted CBCS and submitted their signatures .

I resubmitted the book and all 3 were verified giving me a 9.8.

I was also given a credit voucher for my troubles and reshipping. I dont believe they charged me for the regrade..dont remember. But they were excellent about it
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Tanis private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks for the CSA link, that is a realy helpful list as I submitted a Hit Girl with four sigs for a VSP grading and all of the artists are on the list.
I did wonder how that worked and if they did try and get a smaple if not in the database.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I submitted three comics with an artists signature. I never knew about the list. I see now that the artist isn't on the list but the signatures came back verified. I guess they found a sample somewhere.
Post 15 IP   flag post
The list on CSA's site is not comprehensive. If you have a sig by a known creator that's not on the list I'd contact them too see if they have it
Post 16 IP   flag post
598012 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?