Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »

So....How do you like the forum here....176

Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Hey Jesse. There is really nothing to do as an admin regarding this. After all, I would not want to encourage moderating behavior that IS within the rules of the TOS. But I felt mentioning it might hit a chord with some involved or with others who are regulars over at the CGC boards and recognize it.

Sometimes, regrettably, speaking out like this can be hard for some for fear of reprisals, unpopularity etc. which I do understand. But having hit my 65th birthday a few months ago the concept of peer pressure is rather remote!

Sometimes, you just have to overlook certain... things. I know sometimes I think I'm funny when I'm not and people think,
"What an idiot." It's a two way street. I try to be... nicer, as to not come across as the "You kids get off my lawn!" type of guy, but it can be difficult. Given the way this particular forum is setup, it's harder to get away from the kids splashing in the shallow end of the pool as it isn't as segregated as the cgc boards are with the different sub-forums. However, I think once all the red has been licked of the candy, you'll start to see things begin to mellow out.
Post 126 • IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Hey Jesse. There is really nothing to do as an admin regarding this. After all, I would not want to encourage moderating behavior that IS within the rules of the TOS. But I felt mentioning it might hit a chord with some involved or with others who are regulars over at the CGC boards and recognize it.

Sometimes, regrettably, speaking out like this can be hard for some for fear of reprisals, unpopularity etc. which I do understand. But having hit my 65th birthday a few months ago the concept of peer pressure is rather remote!

Sometimes, you just have to overlook certain... things. I know sometimes I think I'm funny when I'm not and people think,
"What an idiot." It's a two way street. I try to be... nicer, as to not come across as the "You kids get off my lawn!" type of guy, but it can be difficult. Given the way this particular forum is setup, it's harder to get away from the kids splashing in the shallow end of the pool as it isn't as segregated as the cgc boards are with the different sub-forums. However, I think once all the red has been licked of the candy, you'll start to see things begin to mellow out.


Well, said!
Post 127 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
1) it's harder to get away from the kids splashing in the shallow end of the pool

2) I think once all the red has been licked off the candy

Amazing phraseology right there! Most impressive, actually! (This is the first time I heard the 2nd one! Must remember it.)
Post 128 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Hey Jesse. There is really nothing to do as an admin regarding this. After all, I would not want to encourage moderating behavior that IS within the rules of the TOS. But I felt mentioning it might hit a chord with some involved or with others who are regulars over at the CGC boards and recognize it.

Sometimes, regrettably, speaking out like this can be hard for some for fear of reprisals, unpopularity etc. which I do understand. But having hit my 65th birthday a few months ago the concept of peer pressure is rather remote!

Sometimes, you just have to overlook certain... things. I know sometimes I think I'm funny when I'm not and people think,
"What an idiot." It's a two way street. I try to be... nicer, as to not come across as the "You kids get off my lawn!" type of guy, but it can be difficult. Given the way this particular forum is setup, it's harder to get away from the kids splashing in the shallow end of the pool as it isn't as segregated as the cgc boards are with the different sub-forums. However, I think once all the red has been licked of the candy, you'll start to see things begin to mellow out.


Well, said!


Well said me, Watson or both???
Post 129 • IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
1) it's harder to get away from the kids splashing in the shallow end of the pool

2) I think once all the red has been licked off the candy

Amazing phraseology right there! Most impressive, actually! (This is the first time I heard the 2nd one! Must remember it.)

Post 130 • IP   flag post


Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock


Well, said!


Well said me, Watson or both???

You get kudos for a complete, well thought out, coherent post with no spelling errors.


Post 131 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Thanks. What is especially funny is I could see Lucifer using that candy reference.
Post 132 • IP   flag post
Collector MusterMark private msg quote post Address this user
I'm enjoying the Forum.
Thank you, CBCS!
Post 133 • IP   flag post
CBCS JSAmand private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder
Great job here fellas..
Thanks for making CBCS great again


Wait... when did we stop being great?
Post 134 • IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAmand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder
Great job here fellas..
Thanks for making CBCS great again


Wait... when did we stop being great?

Rule #1 of chat boards: Do not ask question you really don't want answered.

Post 135 • IP   flag post
CBCS JSAmand private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSAmand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder
Great job here fellas..
Thanks for making CBCS great again


Wait... when did we stop being great?

Rule #1 of chat boards: Do not ask question you really don't want answered.



But... but... those are always the queestions I ask
Post 136 • IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Post 137 • IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Was this forum custom built, as opposed to using established available software options?
Post 138 • IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
This is an available software option. Just like most forums out there now
Post 139 • IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
This is an available software option. Just like most forums out there now


Really? Seems lacking in features.
Post 140 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
The forum software is Ninja Post. http://www.ninjapost.com/
Post 141 • IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
This is an available software option. Just like most forums out there now


Really? Seems lacking in features.


It's a tryhard Reddit type and I totally agree. However, most developers are looking for smooth web integration so perhaps thats why ninja was chosen.

Kinda reminds me of the old joomla web tools. I'm not a fan of dashboards myself, but it seems to be the way people are going for ease of use.
Post 142 • IP   flag post
Collector BlowUpTheMoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
This is an available software option. Just like most forums out there now


Really? Seems lacking in features.


It's a tryhard Reddit type and I totally agree. However, most developers are looking for smooth web integration so perhaps thats why ninja was chosen.

Kinda reminds me of the old joomla web tools. I'm not a fan of dashboards myself, but it seems to be the way people are going for ease of use.


For an off-of-the-shelf forum, it is lacking basic features.
Post 143 • IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlowUpTheMoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
This is an available software option. Just like most forums out there now


Really? Seems lacking in features.


It's a tryhard Reddit type and I totally agree. However, most developers are looking for smooth web integration so perhaps thats why ninja was chosen.

Kinda reminds me of the old joomla web tools. I'm not a fan of dashboards myself, but it seems to be the way people are going for ease of use.


For an off-of-the-shelf forum, it is lacking basic features.


What features would you like to see? We want all the feedback we can get.....
Post 144 • IP   flag post
Collector ttfitz private msg quote post Address this user
I would like to see a better search function. The basic search box just does a Google site search; that's fine, but so far I haven't found any terms that get a match. Pretty sure that "graded" or "comic" should get a bunch of hits, but nothing.

The "Advanced search" works better, but even that needs something done. It appears to give results of the thread that has a match, but it only takes you to the last page of the thread, not the page with the match. So you have to search through the thread (and possibly load an earlier page) to find your search item.
Post 145 • IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttfitz
I would like to see a better search function. The basic search box just does a Google site search; that's fine, but so far I haven't found any terms that get a match. Pretty sure that "graded" or "comic" should get a bunch of hits, but nothing.

The "Advanced search" works better, but even that needs something done. It appears to give results of the thread that has a match, but it only takes you to the last page of the thread, not the page with the match. So you have to search through the thread (and possibly load an earlier page) to find your search item.


Thanks for the feedback ttfitz!
Post 146 • IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveBorock I'd like a format that is more traditional to the forum framework, which would allow posts to be set as a link, which in turn would allow users to go to their last seen/read post, unlimited posts per thread, perhaps a chat style addon for free exchange with online posters, a users list with the ability to add friends/ignore function.

The list is extensive lol
Post 147 • IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Who are you wanting to ignore this early in the game?
Post 148 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock


What features would you like to see? We want all the feedback we can get.....


Hey Bro! OK...
1) A board that is Forum and not Tag structured. This would allow the ability for Forums and Sub Forums and clearer navigation and real consolidation. The Tag structure is very weak.

2)An actual date/time stamp on a post as opposed to "10 minutes ago" or "4 days ago".

3) A search function that, when you click on its results, actually takes you to a relevant post. For example, I search on you as a poster. It returns a list of posts. But not just the posts that you have made. All it does is return a list of the tags you have posted in. Your posts are not isolated by the search and one has to keep scanning post after post to find yours.
Post 149 • IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
^ This stuff, plus group PM, timestamped PM, ability to follow users posts/threads.

@DrWatson Nobody, just the function may come in handy eventually. I don't like having to put people on ignore to begin with, as it screws with the flow of conversation

Perhaps better moderation would have the benefit of not needing one.
Post 150 • IP   flag post
Collector LittleGiantComics private msg quote post Address this user
LOVE IT!
Post 151 • IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
There is still way too much dead white space on the left and right. The actual amount of space for posts is quite small and when you start quoting people the text gets scrunched up more and more.

Overall, this board is lacking in a lot of the features of one of the more popular message board software options. Although, perhaps that's what you guys were going for? Something different?
Post 152 • IP   flag post
Collector DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkfro
There is still way too much dead white space on the left and right. The actual amount of space for posts is quite small and when you start quoting people the text gets scrunched up more and more.

Overall, this board is lacking in a lot of the features of one of the more popular message board software options. Although, perhaps that's what you guys were going for? Something different?

That's one of the biggest misconceptions people buy into, different = good. Different is only better if it is an improvement over something previously held. In my opinion, the familiar can be pretty damn good as well.
Post 153 • IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Right. Communication and information access are primary qualities in a message board. There are many other message board packages that are superior to Ninja Post in these regards.
Post 154 • IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Wow. Lots of angst, for a virgin launch 😒
Post 155 • IP   flag post
139145 404 30
Log in or sign up to compose a reply.
destitute