Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics MagazinesGrading Help NeededQuestions

Raw vs. Graded1757

Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
Happy New Year all! I am new to comics and am beginning to buy some graded books. I read the earlier thread, but wanted to know why some people buy graded books and then break them out of slabs. Is it personal preference not to have slabs in their PC, etc?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Kinzebac private msg quote post Address this user
For me it is a personal preference. I would only slab books if I were thinking about selling them. I really like having my books in Mylars because I can look through them if I choose to do so, and I think they present just as good in a Mylar as they do in a slab. Just my 2 cents.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Draco private msg quote post Address this user
Slabs take up a lot of space. I only slab expensive books that I want kept in prestine condition.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Hmmm....good question.

I think I like both raw and slabbed, and probably wouldn't release a book of slabbed, although, I am thinking about a recent SW1 CGC Qualifed with Chaykin's name on it to become a CBCS Sig verified grades copy.

I'm wondering if CBCS will do the removal.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user
30+ years of collecting. Some SA. Mostly Copper and Modern.
Four categories for me:

Raw readers in normal storage (i.e. bags and boards).

Raw read once/ unread potentially valuable in either normal storage or mylite+ and half backs.

Raw valuable books in mylite 2 and half backs that aren't quite high grade condition.

High grade books that have investment value, in line to get graded (mylite+ or 2 with half backs)or already graded.

If you're gonna break a book out of a slab it seems it would be with the hope of increasing its value through pressing and regrading. You'll always be able to buy a raw book for less than a slabbed one if you're looking for a reader. I have only sold one slabbed book. For me its mostly to maintain condition for long term potential value increase. I've got kids who're into comics now too, so there's always the desire to pass on some high grade collectible books to them. I just depends on what you're into. It's a fun hobby that can be just that or can become more investment/ profit focused.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Zarbongo private msg quote post Address this user
I guess you could also break a book out of a slab for really rare signature opportunities to get regraded. Stan the Man or Miller stand out right now as they get on in years.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Don't forget that the slab certifies not only the book's condition as in its grade, but also if the book has been conserved or restored, and if a signature (or several) are legit.
Once you purchase it, you can remove it from the slab if you want, or leave it be. But you will have the piece of mind knowing that the book hasn't been restored and/or that the signature(s) is/are real.
Post 7 IP   flag post
600782 7 7
This topic is archived. Start new topic?