Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Bronze AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

Grading Strictness Sliding Scale1746

It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Guys,

I'd like your input on something I've been thinking about for a while.

Do 3rd party graders have a sliding strictness scale depending on the "age" of the comic being graded?

For example; is the grading strictness more severe for modern age books vs. goldenage books? And silverage books? Etc...

If so, why is this?

If not, I ask you to look at high graded goldenage books and compare it to modernage books and I think you'll see what I mean.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
I think the golden and silver do grade on a curve but to as of why I would say rarity of what is avalible for said comic just my opinion
Post 2 IP   flag post
It was a one trick pony show but always hilarious. GAC private msg quote post Address this user
But shouldn't a 9.0 be a 9.0 (or any grade for that matter) regardless of age or rarity?

I'm pretty sure all 3rd party graders do this but I have no idea why.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
I've found that CBCS does not do this nearly as bad as CGC. For some reason the guys on the other side of the street give GA books a "pass" on some things. One of the reasons why I dont use them 😎

Also consider that you may be looking at flaws in a book that do not affect certain grades. Example, Look at a book with tan pages vs a book with white pages. Those two books could have the same grade yet one of them looks MUCH nicer than the other.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Excellent point on your last paragraph! I do agree that cgc appear to be more "guilty" of this and a reason why CBCS is my grader of choice whenever possible.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
Cgc does this a lot more for books compared to CBCS. I have 9.2 superman 247 no way in hell is it a 9.2 for a Bronze Age comic.
Post 6 IP   flag post
I've put a bit of thought into your question over the last year. Would love it if @stevericketts were to chime in with an opinion on this 🙃
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
I have come to accept that this is actually the case, and if I am correct I believe I can theorise the reason(s). And to me at least it is a theory with merit.
Post 8 IP   flag post
I'm convinced it happens...would love to know why it happens.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
I have suspected this, awesome topic OP!

@shrewbeer you make a great point about the page color difference, thanks for sharing your knowledge!

I have seen LOTS of GA and SA CGC books that don't fit into the typical grading standards that I apply to my collection (and I'm my own worst enemy!) I would like a more official statement on this as well!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have any insight on this either, but to me it would make sense if Golden and Silver age comics were given a bit more leeway in certain areas. The main two reasons being the quality of the actual materials used (ink, paper, etc) and the processes used to make the comics. Both areas have seen VAST improvements over the last 100 years!! The thing that I find humorous is the discussion of comic book sizes. I'm sure the tolerances on the actual size of a comic was bigger than currently. It wouldn't surprise me to see an 1/8 inch or even 3/16 of an inch variance on golden age comics printed by the same printer just weeks apart. For current comics, the specs are probably down to a fraction of a millimeter!! Just my quick 2 cents.
Post 11 IP   flag post
I see your point. If we consider a mint book to be a book in the condition in which it left the factory untouched, then a GA/SA book would "start" in lesser condition than a modern 🤔

Come to think of it, I've seen many SA/GA books in high grade that have offset staples, or what could be considered a flat spine roll, whereas they actually left the factory that way and thus it doesnt count against grade
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O That makes sense!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector RRO private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse & Shrew - pretty much what I believe. Now, with this in mind how do you think comics from "Superior Comics" would be handled? A lot of irony here due to Superior having inferior printing, same with MANY Charlton.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRO
@Jesse & Shrew - pretty much what I believe. Now, with this in mind how do you think comics from "Superior Comics" would be handled? A lot of irony here due to Superior having inferior printing, same with MANY Charlton.

If I knew the definitive answer to that, I'd be getting paid the big bucks and not admining a forum!! LOL!!!

Seriously though, I'd assume that all that would have to be considered in the overall process. I mean, was it even possible to find a 9.9 or 10 straight off the Charlton presses in 1974 (let alone earlier)?? I do think of these things and ponder on them, but I have no good insight to pass along. And I've grown quite a fondness for Charlton and Atlas comics lately.

And Superior could be considered a foreign publisher, since it was based in Canada. And THAT brings up a point of whether or not small publishers (foreign and underground) should be held to the standards of Marvel and DC. Where the concern is for me is small publishers that are using antiquated techniques to publish due to cost. I don't even know if this is happening, but I can imagine that some of the comics I've seen from Brazil from the 80's could have been made using printing presses from the 50's or 60's.

These are thoughts that keep me awake at night ....
Post 15 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
@Jesse_O Great answers Jesse. If I remember correctly I've listened to interviews with Steve Borock where he basically stated the same thing. There is no Golden age "curve" but all books were not created equally and that is taken into consideration when grading. I do understand the argument though if I take a 9.6 modern and a 9.6 silver age book the modern will exhibit better eye appeal and seem to have almost no noticeable flaws.
Post 16 IP   flag post
600860 16 16
This topic is archived. Start new topic?