Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Questions

Submitting books via LCS1735

Collector jrs private msg quote post Address this user
I've never submitted a book for grading (yet) but understand that you can do it yourself or via a store/dealer. Obviously, you're responsible for all shipping costs and submission fees when you submit yourself, but how are those costs typically passed on when a store submits for you?

I see that stores may obtain the steepest submission discounts; are those discounts shared with you, and does the store typically charge its own submission fee (on top of the CBCS fee, etc.)? Also, how are shipping costs usually handled, given that the store may be sending in a batch of books on behalf of different customers at one time?

Thanks in advance for any guidance while I try to get my bearings on making submissions. I plan on submitting some books for grading in the new year, and am still considering the best and most cost-effective way to do so.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Cemeteryseth private msg quote post Address this user
Do it at a con if possible. If you're gonna do it yourself
Post 2 IP   flag post
So what's the benefit of doing it at a con, no shipping to CBCS? Are the submission fees any different? Never been to a con. Thanks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector comicsforme private msg quote post Address this user
Do it yourself. Stores are a ripp off and charge a member ship fee. At least CGC does. Know at Cons are the cheaps,no shipping fee too CBCS only return. I once sent 90 comics at Con to CBCS.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Pocketrevoltech private msg quote post Address this user
@comicsforme - Did those books show up on your dashboard? Do you know the approximate turn around time for you to get them back?

I dropped off some books at a con back in November (I know it's still way too early for them to show up either on my dash or on my doorstep) .. I'm just getting antsy
Post 5 IP   flag post
SteveRicketts will post it. My comics post in Oct so maybe come out in Jan i hope. Your comic will be signed for if you us Fedex. I have 13 signed comics on mine. Cant wait.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by comicsforme
Do it yourself. Stores are a ripp off and charge a member ship fee. At least CGC does. Know at Cons are the cheaps,no shipping fee too CBCS only return. I once sent 90 comics at Con to CBCS.

Co-Sign. I submitted 27 books in September, the beautiful thing about it was all those books were Signature Series Books from people I artists or writers I met at the CON with a witness present..
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocketrevoltech
@comicsforme - Did those books show up on your dashboard? Do you know the approximate turn around time for you to get them back?

I dropped off some books at a con back in November (I know it's still way too early for them to show up either on my dash or on my doorstep) .. I'm just getting antsy

Unless you are looking to turn in to a DOLPHINE and FLIP those books, patience holmie. I got 27 back this week from stuff I submitted in September in Portland. I didn't do a Fast Pass because those are going in to my collection. I am still waiting on 5 more books I submitted in Phoenix in October, again those are going in my personal collection so I am not in a rush for them. You do get antsy do after a bit, but November? Breathe.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Might be Feb. 3 to 4 months but it is a holiday
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Pocketrevoltech private msg quote post Address this user
@Comicsforme @Gabriel85301 haha, yeah I need a little patience. It'll be like second Christmas when they come
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The first time that I ever submitted books for grading was through one of the LCS to CGC. I came home on leave in 2013 and took some books up to the store as I was just getting back into collecting. The store owner said there would be a long wait and I said that was fine, as I still had 8 or 9 months of active duty time left. Turns out, the guy didn't submit the books the entire time after I paid him. I did not receive those books back for close to 15 months.
Moral of the story, always follow up, and make sure that they aren't charging you some sort of premium to submit your books. Some places will only charge you their cost and others mark it up as a "premium service".
Post 11 IP   flag post
Thanks for the insight. That's what I'm concerned about -- any upcharges. I'd much prefer to submit the books myself but the dealer incentive is better (although CBCS is running an incentive for first time submitters in the new year, which has me interested).
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Muuko private msg quote post Address this user
My LCS doesn't charge at all for us to use them. It's actually cheaper since he sends them off with others.

Only 'downside' is I don't get the grader notes b/c they're under the shops submissions.
Post 13 IP   flag post
600448 13 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?