Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature VSPSignatures

Signature / Autograph identification Thread172

Collector JazzyJeffie private msg quote post Address this user
Thought I'd start a thread like this, to try and identify Signatures / Autographs with the help of the knowledgeable CBCS community, before spending that US$25 on VSP add-ons.

Here's the image of the autograph I'd like to know if you can please tell me which artist it is. Found it in a Daredevil book at a local comic store:

Thanks in advance for your feedback and opinions.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
It might help to give the issue number if you have it so we can refer to the creators when trying to figure out who's it could be. I know I can't identify every signature I've received but a name might help jog the memory and send us back to our stacks to find another signed book for reference.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
It might help to give the issue number if you have it so we can refer to the creators when trying to figure out who's it could be. I know I can't identify every signature I've received but a name might help jog the memory and send us back to our stacks to find another signed book for reference.

Thanks in advance for the help, @dielinfinite. Looked up the issue and here it is:

DAREDEVIL (1964) #219
Published: June 10, 1985
Added to Marvel Unlimited: November 13, 2007
Writer: Frank Miller
Penciller: John Buscema
Cover Artist: Frank Miller

However, I can't tell if the autograph is Frank Miller (quite far from what I see in his DK3 Master Race signings) or John Buscema, or maybe Ben Affleck?
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
Thats Miller jeff
Post 4 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder
Thats Miller jeff

Just hard to determine, look at a sample from the internet:

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector RyanHicks private msg quote post Address this user
That is Frank Millers sig. Thats a nice sig to have unknowingly
Post 6 IP   flag post
@JazzyJeffie Thats a definite Miller.. I had worse looking ones from a batch I bought from CBLDF which were actually HIS OWN BOOKS.
Not too sure if we can help you with authenticating it obviously, but thats why you pay the folks at St. Petersburg
Post 7 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks Thats a GREAT pic of you and Trimpey.. do you recall when was it taken?
Post 8 IP   flag post
BTW great thread.. I have a few I need to ID myself lol
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen_Lorder
@RyanHicks Thats a GREAT pic of you and Trimpey.. do you recall when was it taken?

I want to say 2013 but i saw him 3 years in a row at different cons before he passed so not 100% sure which year that one was haha. Trimpe was such a cool dude.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I have three Frank Miller autographs on Daredevil 180, 181, and 182. He signed them for a Lone Star Comics promotion back in 1982 or 1983. Unfortunately, they are on the bottom of the first page, so if I got the autographs verified, you would not be able to see them. Back then, he actually spelled out most of his name. I have asked CBCS about putting a small digital image of autographs inside comics on the slab label, but have gotten no response regarding that issue.

Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I have asked CBCS about putting a small digital image of autographs inside comics on the slab label, but have gotten no response regarding that issue.

That would be pretty cool although not much real estate on the label for that, especially if multiple interior sigs but maybe on backside of label or something?? I definitely think that would encourage more older collectors getting their signed books graded since that is how most of the signing was done back in the day.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
There should be enough room on the back of the label if there is only one signature or maybe even two. I would rather see the autograph than know the name of the story or what ads were in the book.
Post 13 IP   flag post
What's up with Daredevil and Frank Miller autos? Lol. First 4 books asked here are Daredevil books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
CBCS MarkRoman private msg quote post Address this user
Nice Frank Miller signatures (both new and old sigs). -Mark Roman
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkRoman
Nice Frank Miller signatures (both new and old sigs). -Mark Roman

Thanks @MarkRoman. Coming to you via VSP in the next few weeks
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Treco private msg quote post Address this user
I have a copy of Wolverine #340 with what I think is Todd Mcfarlane's signature. I've been considering sending this one in for verification. What do you guys think? I bought this at a local comic shop as a back issue probably around 90-91.

Post 17 IP   flag post
I can't say whether it's authentic but it certainly bears some resemblance to some more modern examples. Could just be slight variations from sig to sig, over time, type of pen used, or all of the above.

Post 18 IP   flag post
Quote:
I can't say whether it's authentic but it certainly bears some resemblance to some more modern examples. Could just be slight variations from sig to sig, over time, type of pen used, or all of the above.

Thanks for posting that pic. Looks real similar to me. Oh and I meant Hulk 340 not Wolverine. Doh
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector TimBildhauser private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
There should be enough room on the back of the label if there is only one signature or maybe even two. I would rather see the autograph than know the name of the story or what ads were in the book.
This has been talked about in the office but isn't something we're able to do currently.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treco
I have a copy of Wolverine #340 with what I think is Todd Mcfarlane's signature. I've been considering sending this one in for verification. What do you guys think? I bought this at a local comic shop as a back issue probably around 90-91.

Yes, that looks like Todd's old signature from the 90's. Nice book and sig, I'd send it in
Post 21 IP   flag post
@RyanHicks, thanks! It is a nice looking copy. Glad to have opinions other than my own before I spend money to have it slabbed.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBildhauser
Quote:
This has been talked about in the office but isn't something we're able to do currently.

I am sure that you guys will figure something out, and then you will be flooded with new submissions for that service. And by the way, it was a pleasure talking to you and Steve at RI Comic Con last year. Look forward to seeing you there again this year.
Post 23 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
@Treco Send it. Looks good.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe not the best solution but what about capturing images of the signatures and adding them to the grader's notes page for the book like you do with the image option?
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Maybe not the best solution but what about capturing images of the signatures and adding them to the grader's notes page for the book like you do with the image option?

This is a very good suggestion! I hope you can post it in the Suggestions thread, so it can get the attention it needs... Or just e-mail CBCS directly.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Thanks! I'll drop them a line in the morning.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Anyone recognise this signature? Got this sketch in a mystery box about a year ago, never seen the dig before.

Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I also suggested to CBCS earlier this year to snap a digital photo of the page with the autograph and put a URL code on the back of the book that you can scan and be sent to a page with the image. I also like the idea of attaching the image of the autograph to the graders notes. "Signed on 1st page"
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Here ya go guys feel free to use this as a guide to help you authenticate your signatures.
I stood in front of each one of these people and had them sign this, so I know absolutely for certain beyond all doubt that these signatures are 100% authentic.
These were all acquired on August 8 1992 at this event.

Post 30 IP   flag post
598034 33 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?