Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Art Sketch Covers

Help - sketch cover1714

Collector LastRonin private msg quote post Address this user
Need some advice, I have several blank cover sketches done over the years, what service would I use to have them now encapsulated and approved with the artists name? OAP or verified?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
Original Art just means that the book/art will not receive a grade. Original Art, like a comic, can be both yellow label (Authentic), or Red Label (verified).

Since these are sketches you already own you would have to use the signature verification service to verify the signature (the art itself can't be verified) if you want the name on the label.

Whether you would like to go with the original art option is up to you and if you want the book graded or just have the "ART" designation on the label
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Verified
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
I would say vsp is the only way to go on this one. If it was a backing board or like paper OA is the only option. Since it's a comic I would think it has to be graded and vsp.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@BigRig You can still choose the ART designation for a comic if you wish, so it doesn't have to be graded

Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@BigRig You can still choose the ART designation for a comic if you wish, so it doesn't have to be graded

Ah got ya. Well I guess that's a nice option as well. I think I would rather have a grade. But I could see why one could want it just as OA.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:

Artist appreciation for personal enjoyment....I love it.

These two will be in my first dibs for OA.

The Gaiman "Mr. Punch", gotta be in the top five of my collection.

You see Caroline dittos and sketches, but never Mr. Punch.

Acquired in the early '90s. Here is something a bit larger and just as simple.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com/itm/332053935784
Post 7 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks That's amazing! What's the one on the right? It looks like the faun from Pan's Labyrinth.

@BigRig I agree with you, if only because it costs the same to get the book graded with the grader's notes than it costs to not be graded and get the word "ART" in the corner of the label, which doesn't seem right to me.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
@ZosoRocks That's amazing! What's the one on the right? It looks like the faun from Pan's Labyrinth.

Actually they are side by side for one reason only....Neil Caiman and Dave McKean always do great things together.

Your guess was wrong...it is a sketch of the Sandman.

Also, the book on the other side of Mr. Lunch is signed by both.

I also have the original Vertigo Tarot deck they issued, and "The Magician" card is signed by DK.

I asked him to sign a card, and he picked that one out and put pen to it.

Just meeting these guys was a great thrill of mine. Both are very personable.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Typos..occur way too early in the morning when you are on vacation...sorry.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector LastRonin private msg quote post Address this user

Here's one I'm thinking of getting slabbed. Wish I got it witnessed at the time, 2013. Art by Bob McLeod also signed by Zeck.

So the only difference is to have it saying "Art" in the top left or submit for a grade? Both options will only verify the sig, not the art. Correct?
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
@LastRonin
Nice cover
Post 12 IP   flag post
@LastRonin Correct on both counts. Signature verification is a per signature cost; $25 for the first sig and $15 for each one afterwards.

The label will read something like "Signed by Bob McLeod and Mike Zeck. Sketch on cover"
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
The only down side to the signature verification for me (which i think is an awesome option to haver) is that it gets a red label. Just something about the colour that I find off putting, which I know is a pretty small factor but, cant help wishing these great sketch covers and verified signature books were getting less of a "danger/warning" colour.

Got these 3 blank sketches to submit and another 3 already with CBCS.

Post 14 IP   flag post
598072 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?