Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector therealtimmyp private msg quote post Address this user
Hey CBCS Community. Just got into comics and even bought some graded ones. Be doing some research and I would like to have my CGC comics put into CBCS slabs. Will the grades go down? Is there a guarantee or 'grade match' with re-slabs? I have 9.8s and don't want to see them go down. Thanks for your help.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Like most of life... there are no guarantees.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Thanks for the quick reply. What company tends to grade harder?
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealtimmyp
Thanks for the quick reply. What company tends to grade better?
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@therealtimmyp There is no "grade match." When you cross over a book from one company to another it is being re-graded and the result can change.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
The CBCS slabs are the best IMO and I have at least one from 3 companies but my submissions are always CBCS. I like the customer service and staff at CBCS who have been very helpful to me.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks everyone. I keep hearing great things about CBCS. I think I will take my chances and send some in to get re-graded.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Like @Bigrig said, CBCS grades Better.

In terms of value in the long run, personally I think one is better off owning a 9.6cbcs than a 9.8 cgc. The industry has started to notice, and will continue to notice, that cbcs finds everything; thus graded better and worth more down the road.

If you're looking to sell the book in the near future, keep your 9.8 as is; not worth the risk of a down-grade
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
If they are already 9.8 and the case is in good shape, then I would not mess with them. I would find a couple of your favorite books in your collection that you feel are in the nicest condition of them all and I would send them in. I would bet they will come back lower than you thought but this will allow you to really get a feel for how CBCS grades. This is a good way to learn as you get more involved with the hobby. Welcome aboard.@therealtimmyp
Post 9 IP   flag post
@shrewbeer @BrianGreensnips

Said it best I wouldn't change the case if they are already 9.8. It will more than likely come back lower.
Post 10 IP   flag post

Lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. What company tends to grade harder?

In my opinion, CBCS are very conservative where CGC are very liberal in there grading. With that in mind, CBCS is better for the buyer (collector) and CGC is better for the seller. I've bought CGC slabs and wonder why the grade was soooo high when the comic book has visible defects (on front, back and spine)and had some of my comic books graded by CBCS and got far less grades than I thought should be. Which makes me wonder if my HULK 102 graded by CBCS at a 9.6 and my DARE DEVIL 158 graded by CBCS at a 9.8, if I sent them to CGC (instead of CBCS) would they come back as 9.8 and or both 10's? By the way, both books look and are fantastic!! No restorations here!!
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Injurytoeye private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
@therealtimmyp There is no "grade match." When you cross over a book from one company to another it is being re-graded and the result can change.

Especially if you package them wrong.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hey CBCS Community. Just got into comics and even bought some graded ones. Be doing some research and I would like to have my CGC comics put into CBCS slabs. Will the grades go down? Is there a guarantee or 'grade match' with re-slabs? I have 9.8s and don't want to see them go down. Thanks for your help.

If the books are already graded by CGC,I see no reason to send the books to CBCS to be cracked and graded again.

You already have grading fees tied up into each book, having the books graded again, as I see it, would be no different than tossing money into a fireplace for kicks.

Vice versa, if the books were graded/slabbed by CBCS, I see no reason to send them to CGC to be cracked and graded again.

The only reason I could understand why someone would do this was if they simply wanted only CGC slabs (or only CBCS slabs) in their collection.

My suggestion would be to leave well enough alone.Allocate those funds into buying more books.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
i will just add my two cents to this.

I quit buying CGC books, and I am currently in the process of selling off the rest while they are still worth something.

CBCS is more accurate. I've often questioned some of the grades i got back from CGC. Personally, I see CGC going the way of PGX.

If you just want a high grade and don't care about value, send it to PGX.
Post 15 IP   flag post
600728 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?