Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedComics Copper Age

Your Prized Copper Age Comics: Post Pictures169

Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
Thread for posting your favorite--most prized--comics from the Copper Age.
Post 1 IP   flag post

Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
As long as I won't be burned at the stake for posting cgc books...

Post 3 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
I just got this back from CBCS today. Bought it new 26 years ago.

Post 4 IP   flag post
Congratulations on the grade! Beautiful copy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
I just got this back from CBCS today. Bought it new 26 years ago.

Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
As long as I won't be burned at the stake for posting cgc books...

Wow that is very beautiful. Weather its CGC or CBCS any of the late great Michael Turner work always blows my mind. That is a great gem
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector DocBrown private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, the Diamond Retailer edition is a pretty tough book to find.
Post 7 IP   flag post
@Absolute_Zero @DocBrown Thanks, guys! These are actually the first two books I ever had graded.

Turner was such a great guy to see at conventions. I remember when I had him sign my Art of the Darkness book and he just spent a couple minutes flipping through it, geeking out over the art, calling his friends over to show them that their art had made it into the book. You could really tell he loved what he did.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Soma private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Absolute_Zero @DocBrown Thanks, guys! These are actually the first two books I ever had graded.

Turner was such a great guy to see at conventions. I remember when I had him sign my Art of the Darkness book and he just spent a couple minutes flipping through it, geeking out over the art, calling his friends over to show them that their art had made it into the book. You could really tell he loved what he did.

Any thoughts on sending that bad boy to CBCS to get a Red Label instead of the Green?

Anyway, heres mine. It may be silly but i got this silver spider-man #1 when i was 9 years old... my cousin gave it to me and it basically started me into actually COLLECTING comics. (i had tons and tons of comics but they were read, and tossed on the floor... you know... they were a kids comics.) But this book made me think twice. it was a #1!! and a VARIANT!! it HAD to stay in the bag and board!

So i hung on to it for 25 years... ran into McFarlane on the SDCC floor, and told him that story, he signed it (and #13) right then and there...

the green cover was signed by him back in the mid 90's (look at how different his signature was lol) and i had stan lee sign it about 5 years ago.

All 3 are special to me. and headed to VSP.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I've thought about it but since each of them is signed like 4 times (Turner, D-Tron, Wohl, Silvestri), 2 of which I didn't witness myself (I'm guessing most or all of them were signed by Turner and D-Tron when originally released judging by the proportion of qualified books in the CGC census) so they get kind of expensive and I'm not aure how confident I am that those 2 signatures will pass verification. If it is him, Turner used a different signature where he wrote out his whole name instead of his more stylized sig that he used on the sigs I actually witnessed.

Still, I'm in no hurry to sell them so they can wait a bit before going in a red slab.

Hey do you still happen to have your first comics? I have mine somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was Spectacular Spider-Man #201 (8-year old me: "Spider-Man, Venom, AND Carnage on the cover?!?!" followed closely behind by Spider-Man 2099 #36 (8-year old me: "Oh my god that's an awesome Venom on the cover!!". Clearly my thought process was very sophisticated. They'll all torn to shreds but I still have them!
Post 10 IP   flag post
President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I've thought about it but since each of them is signed like 4 times (Turner, D-Tron, Wohl, Silvestri), 2 of which I didn't witness myself (I'm guessing most or all of them were signed by Turner and D-Tron when originally released judging by the proportion of qualified books in the CGC census) so they get kind of expensive and I'm not aure how

Hey do you still happen to have your first comics? I have mine somewhere. I'm pretty sure it was Spectacular Spider-Man #201 (8-year old me: "Spider-Man, Venom, AND Carnage on the cover?!?!" followed closely behind by Spider-Man 2099 #36 (8-year old me: "Oh my god that's an awesome Venom on the cover!!". Clearly my thought process was very sophisticated. They'll all torn to shreds but I still have them!

I wish I had my first comic or comics. I was very lucky, as a very young child, that my father would bring me home comics before I could even read. Those comics were read to death and sold when I started buying & selling comics in 7th grade. Really wish I kept even one as it would remind me of how my father hooked me on comic books. Heck, he even bought me Steranko's History Of Comics when it came out
Post 11 IP   flag post
@SteveBorock That's a great story! While my dad and I were never really close (not a bad relationship by any means), he did make sure learning super-hero origins should be part of my basic education and I remember him recounting the origins of Superman, Daredevil and Green Lantern (among others) when I was little. He bought me my first trade, The Origins of Marvel Comics, which I still have to this day.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector qube private msg quote post Address this user

clickable text

Funny that this discussion is coming up.

I just read this the other day after finding it while transferring from long to short boxes.

My grandfather bought it for me when I was 4 or 5. My parents and grandparents used to own a restaurant together, and I would spend all day there playing with toys and looking at/reading comics as a kid. This was back in the early 80's when there was not much else to do, and everyday he would walk me to the convenience store across the street and buy me a comic. He did that for almost two years.

I still have almost all of them, and this is one that I really loved as a kid. It's one of the reasons I still read/collect comics to this day. It's nothing special as far as stories, art etc go, but it has a special place in my heart.

My grandmother passed away in January and my uncle (who cared for both of them) has taken it pretty hard. I sent him a picture of this comic the other day with a similar story to what I'm telling you guys, and he called me to talk about them and how we missed them.

He carried on the tradition of buying comics for me when my grandfather passed away in '88, and we spent a lot of time together hitting every comic store in the city when I would go visit him and my grandmother in California. It's because of my uncle and grandfather that I was able to really get into comics.

I'm flying my uncle out here to visit my family this summer, and I'm going to give this to him as a memory of the years they all lived here in Houston in the 80's.

It's beat up and has been read hundreds of times, but it's one of the most important books in my collection, Copper or otherwise.

EDIT: dammit, file size is too big. The forum should automatically resize for those of us on mobile devices.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@qube Really lovely story, qube! I'd guess many of us have stories like those and its amazing to see how young we were when the bug bit us. I eagerly await to see the book once you get that image size sorted out.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@qube Really lovely story, qube! I'd guess many of us have stories like those and its amazing to see how young we were when the bug bit us. I eagerly await to see the book once you get that image size sorted out.

There we go, got it working. And thank you
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Odins_Raven private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
@dinlinfinite thats awesome you got meet him. I never got the chance but he is one of my favorite artist ever for me. Looking to hopefully buy a yellow signature soon from a guy i know will post when i get in the next few months. Oh many growing up as a kid it was hard to some what fit in with others. I am smart, out going, fun loving kid. But my friends where not big on comics growing up. My father we read us King Conan and Conan The Barbarian to us for bed time. Always dream I was there with him on his many adventures. But also there were damaged by flooding in the house. But when I got my first allowance we shopped at the local Target and lord and behold I bought my first comic. Good old Captain America with Guest Star Wolverine. I read this book so much that the cover fell off and did not try to tap it back on. Still have the book but bought another copy so that when I have kids of my own they will not what the cover looked like.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
I don't own very many Copper Age books at all... I'm more into the Modern Age books, personally. But, I love these 3 books...

Yeah, it's a CGC slab, but it's all about the book on the inside!

Post 18 IP   flag post
I think I've gotten my terminology confused as I'd always used Copper and Modern pretty much interchangeably. Hmmm
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
I think I've gotten my terminology confused as I'd always used Copper and Modern pretty much interchangeably. Hmmm

Copper isn't as clearly defined as the other "ages", but generally it's considered 1984-1990/91.

The book I posted is technically late Bronze Age (1983), but I figured it was close enough to apply in this thread
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Iago19 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by qube
Quote:

Copper isn't as clearly defined as the other "ages", but generally it's considered 1984-1990/91.

The book I posted is technically late Bronze Age (1983), but I figured it was close enough to apply in this thread
Yeah, as long as it's close or laps over. Its cool.
Post 21 IP   flag post
in that case, my revised contributions to this thread are:

ASM 300 and Killing Joke were probably the first 2 key issues I ever bought. ASM 300 because I love Venom and as a kid I wanted to own his first appearance. I got the book for $20 at the time and got it signed by Todd McFarlane a few years ago. Killing Joke I bought for $10 a couple of years after the ASM 300.

Miracleman is a much more recent addition. I became fascinated with the story of "Alan Moore's lost masterpiece" but didn't get to read it for a long time because the collected editions were/are expensive and I hadn't bothered to hunt down the individual issues. A couple of years ago, not long after Marvel had started reprinting Moore's Miracleman, I realized that I was finally making enough money that I could actually start collecting Silver Age books. Well, if I could buy silver age books, why not hunt down some great, more recent books? So I started collecting a set of Moore and Gaiman's Miracleman books. Miracleman 15 is probably the most expensive book in the set (not including the much rarer variants), at the time going for well over $100 alone (which still isn't an amount of money I can toss at a book as freely as I'd like). I was able to find this copy for something like $80 on ebay, which I was more than happy with. My set is almost complete, just missing 3 books. It's not so much that they're hard or expensive to find, quite the opposite, I kind of feel like I can grab these books whenever I want so I tend to get distracted by other books I'm hunting down.
Post 22 IP   flag post
@dielinfinite Miracleman is one of my Favorite characters and stories.
Post 23 IP   flag post

If I may.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@Iago19 Awesome! I've always loved Big Ben's tag line, "The Man with no Time for Crime!"
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
Here's mine

Dateline: November 1988.
I was walking through a local grocery store one day looking at the magazines on the rack to see if they had anything I wanted to read.
I knelt down to see the bottom shelf and there it was, staring at me like I was the next thing on the buffet.
I took it home and read it three times, I was hooked. Up to that point in my life, my only exposure to comics was G.I. Combat comics I read as a preteen.
The Haunted Tank was my favorite. But I hadn't read any in years, and I think my grandmother had some Marvel Treasury books at some point, but they didn't seem to interest me then.
I find it amazing that I've held onto this one through all my efforts to upgrade my collection with higher grade books.

Post 26 IP   flag post
@The_Curmudgeon I enjoy reading (hearing) the stories that go along with our comics. The memories that we connect with our comics makes them even more special.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
@Despain Thanks, I too enjoy reading about the stories that other collectors have associated with particular books in their collections.

This book was purchased off the newsstand. It had a UPC sticker placed over the Spidey head.
I very carefully peeled it off about 5 years after I bought it, but you can't tell it was ever there.
Post 28 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 29 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user

Post 30 IP   flag post
598059 184 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?