Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help NeededQuestions

Grading Training; Color breaks1658

Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
So, I wanted to ask the community's opinion on grading a book with some color breaking spine ticks. I've seen grades all over the place with this defect. E-bigs seems to drop a book with "multiple" color breaking spine stress to like a 7.

So in your experience, all other things being equal, how many color breaks on the spine before you are below 9.0?

I was always of the opinion that one color break would put you at best a 9.4. 2-3 breaks? Welcome to the 7-8 range.

Interested to hear your thoughts.
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Interesting concept. I am currently eyeballing a perfect book otherwise but has four color break tics on the spine.

I have seen 9.4s with a few, but I would think several get you into the 8.5-9.2 range on an otherwise perfect book
Post 2 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
Depends on the size of the break right? White covers are also more forgiving on breaks from what I've seen.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
Based on what I've seen, there have been 9.6's with a single 1/32" to maybe 1/16" spine tick. It seems grades are based on an accumulation of defects with certain defects having grade limiting effects such has I've never seen a book with some kind of moisture stain get above 8.5-9.0 no matter how nice the rest of the book was.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jaydknight private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn_Sam
Based on what I've seen, there have been 9.6's with a single 1/32" to maybe 1/16" spine tick. It seems grades are based on an accumulation of defects with certain defects having grade limiting effects such has I've never seen a book with some kind of moisture stain get above 8.5-9.0 no matter how nice the rest of the book was.

That's a great point about the accumulative defects. Sometimes in the past I have been so impressed with a flawless spine that I didn't even check the edges/wear etc and vice versa and then been given a lower grade than I had anticipated. It all adds up. Lol.
Post 5 IP   flag post
And here is why you never know what the grading company will do. This cover is scratched to hell with plenty of spine damage. 9.2???
y
Post 6 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
It is always opinion. It is never science.

But that 9.2 above is just silly. Congrats CGC.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
I give Wonder Woman a 10.0.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
And here is why you never know what the grading company will do. This cover is scratched to hell with plenty of spine damage. 9.2???
y

They're starting to enter the PGX level of grading.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
That 9.2 is a joke. How embarrassing for CGC.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Jaydknight I am guilty of that too. I overlook a flaw because I was excited about how perfect the spine was. Then later I get home and see some other flaw. Bummer.
Post 11 IP   flag post
If anyone is wondering, this is what the foil cover is SUPPOSED to look like 😂😂😂

Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Mef private msg quote post Address this user
If the first one is a 9.2, the second is a 10 easy.. they might have to crank it to 11!
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
That actually is a proper grade for that book.
The nature of the foil just tends to highlight the flaws.
Those same defects on say Uncanny X-Men 281 would barely be noticed unless you had the book in your hands.

P.S. That second one is making me turgid.
Post 14 IP   flag post
600443 14 14
This topic is archived. Start new topic?