Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Collector FrankDrebin private msg quote post Address this user
I recently finished inventorying my collection and wound up with 36 full long boxes. I started buying in 1974 and ran through the 90's, mostly Marvel, both comics and magazines. The books are lightly read, or not read at all, kept in poly bags/backing boards initially and migrated to mylar/backing boards back in the 90s. While amassing these books, I also bought high grade back issues from most of the titles when I ran across them at local comic shops, going back to the 60's. The books are mostly in >9.0 shape (based on a few samples I had previously graded at CBCS, currently waiting on the second batch).

Question: What makes a collection worthy of a pedigree? I'm likely dreaming here, but might as well ask people knowledgeable on the subject.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Lunarshade private msg quote post Address this user
I know that you should ask before submitting more of your collection to let the people at CBCS have that information because it sounds like to me you have a collection that has only had one owner. The reason to ask is if its your collection people will know it hasn't been trimmed, color touched or restored and you have taken care of your collection for decades. I hope this helps and maybe a representative from CBCS will say something in this thread.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
The criteria and info are pretty easy to find. So as always, Google is your friend:

http://comicpedigrees.com/pedigree-criteria.php

https://www.cgccomics.com/resources/pedigree.asp

http://comicbookinvest.com/2016/01/19/pedigree-comic-collections/

https://www.pedigreecomics.com/
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDrebin
I recently finished inventorying my collection and wound up with 36 full long boxes. I started buying in 1974 and ran through the 90's, mostly Marvel, both comics and magazines. The books are lightly read, or not read at all, kept in poly bags/backing boards initially and migrated to mylar/backing boards back in the 90s. While amassing these books, I also bought high grade back issues from most of the titles when I ran across them at local comic shops, going back to the 60's. The books are mostly in >9.0 shape (based on a few samples I had previously graded at CBCS, currently waiting on the second batch).

Question: What makes a collection worthy of a pedigree? I'm likely dreaming here, but might as well ask people knowledgeable on the subject.

I'll save you any internet searching. Your collection is NOT a "Pedigree" collection!
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankDrebin

I'll save you any internet searching. Your collection is NOT a "Pedigree" collection!

Is there such a thing as a "Modern" pedigree? Will there ever be?
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Your collection is a pedigree collection, inasmuch as all of ours are, which are collected by original owners. But it will not be a designated pedigree by the grading companies or any collectors, really. But people who like to keep track of the provenance of vintage books in their collection would be interested to know you are the starting point.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Thanks for all the input, folks. Is the collection simply too new to be considered?
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@FrankDrebin That's a part of it yes; accepted pedigrees are made up mostly of Gold and Silver age books.

Another major component is "marketplace acceptance." Typically this comes when the collection has been purchased from the original owner by a dealer and, in the process of selling parts of it, is able to promote the collection to the extent that it becomes known and desired by collectors.

If you read through the stories behind the pedigrees, they're not typically about individuals whose impressive collections were recognized in their lifetime; instead, most are about dealers who bought the large collections from estates, widows, or grandchildren and brought them to market
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Pedigrees are BS imo. Random find books have more story behind them than any ped.

Come one come all, if anyone is deserving everyone is. May as well start a list of owners on the back of the slabs. THAT I could get down with!
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Mio private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Pedigrees are BS imo. Random find books have more story behind them than any ped.

Come one come all, if anyone is deserving everyone is. May as well start a list of owners on the back of the slabs. THAT I could get down with!

I like the cut of your jib. Imagine having an Action 1 with its entire chain of ownership from newsstand to now. That would be great!
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Is this actually a sales pitch? Because anyone who has 36 long boxes full, amassed over 40 years, and has purchased high grade back issues at comi-cons, should know what constitutes a pedigree collection.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

(P.S., is this a record for commas in one sentence)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer

That is why there is chocolate, vanilla and strawberry ice cream. People like different things.
Post 12 IP   flag post
I never went to a comic convention until the Virginia con in October, where I submitted my second batch of books. I stopped buying comics in the late 90s, rebagged my stuff and stashed them away in a spare room. Since I relocated to VA and had to move them, I got back into them and did my inventory. I'll probably sell them eventually, but it's just a re-awakened hobby
Post 13 IP   flag post
Well, welcome back to the hobby.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Thanks! I guarantee that I'll ask more silly questions as they occur to me. I appreciate all the responses from the board.
Post 15 IP   flag post
600777 15 15
This topic is archived. Start new topic?