Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Signature ASPCBCS Signature VSPSignatures

Yellow Label VS Red Label Question1580

Collector DLAComics private msg quote post Address this user
Ok, so if I buy a set of comics from a well known artist's website, signed with COA, can these be graded and be given a Yellow Label as opposed to the Red Label.

I understand the AW Program very well but when a book is purchased directly from the artist themselves, shouldn't this be enough evidence for ASP and not have to go through VSP?

Thanks!
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
I'd also like to take the time to ask, if you send in a yellow label CGC will it come back a yellow CBCS?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
COAs are not enough to get a yellow label. If CBCS is at the con, stop by the booth and grab a witness to go with you to the artists table. If they are not there, search before the con for an aw. If neither work out, you can see if the artist is willing to fill out paperwork and mail it to CBCS to be processed under your account. And yes, CBCS will honor CGC yellow labels. That is the only company they will honor.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Then why does JSC offer a COA from his store if it isnt worth anything?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Neal Adams will sign your comic at a convention for $30. For an additional fee, he will attach a COA sticker to the comic next to his signature, reducing the value and eye-appeal of the comic. Why? He makes more money that way.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector mattness private msg quote post Address this user
I went through this in July. I was sent some comics as a gift from a comic book artist. The books were signed and included a COA with his thumb print to verify... In the end I ended up having to use the red label to verify the signature, if I wanted it notated on the CBCS label. It didn't matter to me if it was noted or not, I knew the sig was real. I brought the situation to the board and everyone said pay to have the red label. The idea was in case something happened to me my beneficiaries would have back up from a known company that all my sigs were authentic.
Post 6 IP   flag post
"Forum Overlord" bah ha ha ha... JustThatGuy private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLAComics
Then why does JSC offer a COA from his store if it isnt worth anything?

because its worth something in his mind.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
COAs are not enough to get a yellow label. If CBCS is at the con, stop by the booth and grab a witness to go with you to the artists table. If they are not there, search before the con for an aw. If neither work out, you can see if the artist is willing to fill out paperwork and mail it to CBCS to be processed under your account. And yes, CBCS will honor CGC yellow labels. That is the only company they will honor.

Thanks
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been selling in person autographs for over 20 yrs. COA's just make people feel better about an item. The truth is you are doing 1 of 2 things with any signed item
1. Keeping it, therefore you never need a COA
2. Selling it to someone else. In this case they may not know the company or person issuing the COA making it worthless. Even if that COA is from an artist or writer
Post 9 IP   flag post
Well, I understand COA's have become ALMOST useless and I blame the baseball signatures for that but this I think is different when it comes from an artists store.

From the CBCS FAQ:
"At our sole discretion, under rare circumstances, we may accept a signed letter as proof of a witnessed signature. Please call us if you feel the need for this option."

To the point of saving it for yourself or for sale, I agree with keeping it for your collection but if you are to sell, there are some people out there that dont trust a Red Label as well as those out there that wont collect a Restored comic either. Their choice for sure.

My point of this point sure isnt to start any sort of argument and Im glad it hasnt gotten that far, all opinions and I like that. My opinion, if it comes from the artist, it should be Yellow label. Side note, I even saw John Beaty had COA's on his table at RICC that he would fill out for you if you wanted one ($10). So the COA is alive but is it well.
Post 10 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
@DLAComics CBCS' argument is that if you submit a comic with a COA, even if you got it from the artist, THEY aren't receiving it from the artist, so they can't be certain of its origin. If the artist fills out some paperwork and submits the books directly to CBCS, then it will get a yellow label and the COA is superfluous.

A COA can be manufactured or swapped from book to book so they make the general rule to not accept them as proof of signature and instead rely on physical witnesses or receiving books directly from the individual in question.
Post 11 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
What do the CBCS labels signify?

Yellow (ASP): The signature was witnessed by a CBCS employee, or an authorized CBCS representative, or the book was formerly encased in a CGC Signature Series holder.

Red (VSP): The signature was authenticated by CSA Comics.

In order to get a yellow or red label, the book must meet the required qualifications.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Would a hand drawn and signed sketch from a con get a red label?
Post 13 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks Assuming this is a book you already have and thus having a witness present is no longer an option, you can pay the verification fee and they might be able to verify the signature and it'd get a red label but only the signature would be verified.
Post 14 IP   flag post
...and if it is not a book but a sketch on just a backing board?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Same thing, except that instead of a grade it'll just get the ART designation

Post 16 IP   flag post
Very cool. I like the package, a much better look than PSA.

Best regards and thanks for the insight.
Post 17 IP   flag post
600861 17 17
This topic is archived. Start new topic?