Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Golden Age

Alex Schomburg's first science fiction cover1578

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I finally got one of my grails! It's a pulp instead of a comic but features Alex Schomburg's first science fiction cover. It truly is "Scientifiction at its Best" and in great condition for a 77 year old book.

Startling Stories, volume 2, number 2, September 1939

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector poka private msg quote post Address this user
Nice one
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector The_Curmudgeon private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga
Congrats!
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Schomburg began doing artwork for Hugo Gernsback circa 1925 inside Science and Invention (formerly Electrical Experimenter) magazine. May I ask a source cite this is Alex's first cover? Would appreciate it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
Congrats on finding that!
Post 5 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
Great find!
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Schomburg began doing artwork for Hugo Gernsback circa 1925 inside Science and Invention (formerly Electrical Experimenter) magazine. May I ask a source cite this is Alex's first cover? Would appreciate it.

Good old wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Schomburg

This is noted as his first science fiction themed cover, but not his first cover period.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Thanks Mister Darkga, Twas getting around to Wiki-Leaks for all the straight dope! I was blessed and honored to meet and talk with Alex at his very first comicon which was Portland 1976. Harvey Kurtzman and Sergio Aragones were the other two guests there that show. They were up front, Alex was set up way in the back. HK and SA had a huge line, Alex had nada but a couple die-hards like me sitting around asking him query after query.

Then after a couple hours both HK and SA got up, walked down the aisle to where Aelx was, asked for his autograph, then sat with him castigating the "fans" with HK saying some thing like, "Don't you know who the hell this guy is????"

Alex did me a pencil drawing that day as well - I still have it.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBcomics
Thanks Mister Darkga, Twas getting around to Wiki-Leaks for all the straight dope! I was blessed and honored to meet and talk with Alex at his very first comicon which was Portland 1976. Harvey Kurtzman and Sergio Aragones were the other two guests there that show. They were up front, Alex was set up way in the back. HK and SA had a huge line, Alex had nada but a couple die-hards like me sitting around asking him query after query.

Then after a couple hours both HK and SA got up, walked down the aisle to where Aelx was, asked for his autograph, then sat with him castigating the "fans" with HK saying some thing like, "Don't you know who the hell this guy is????"

Alex did me a pencil drawing that day as well - I still have it.

WOW! That is quite a story, and you are a very lucky guy to meet him. I'm jealous!
Post 9 IP   flag post

Here is the limited edition print I bought from Alex that day. I took #25 cuz #1 and #10 were already spoken for. He thought better of using any known characters as he mentioned he did not wish to hassle with potential copyright BS - so he made up his own for this. That 1976 Portland show remains a very fond memory to be sure!
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Darkga That is an awesome cover. @BLBcomics Sweet piece of history and story.
Post 11 IP   flag post
598060 11 11
This topic is archived. Start new topic?