Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Copper AgeComics Golden AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver Age

New Overstreet Grading Guide1571

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So this year's edition is finally out. Amazon has delivered my copy but I still have a few hours of work to get through before I can flip through it.

Has anyone else picked uo a copy? Any thoughts on it's content? I'd love to hear what you guys have to say about it.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TyrantK private msg quote post Address this user
Have it -

Meant to be used as a reference/guide and not to be taken as the gospel. I learned this recently on my X-men 12 quest.

Markets fluctuate, sometimes overnight so it's only "so" useful but still useful, none the less.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I live in RI and Rhode Islanders eat chili with beans. esaravo private msg quote post Address this user
And they are great to look at years later, also, to see how grading has changed over time. Like how there used to be a 100 point grading system.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't seen the new Grading Guide myself. I'd be curious how it's changed.
Post 4 IP   flag post
@steveinthecity This is my first one so I don't have the point of reference myself but I'd be curious to hear more about how it's changed from prior editions as well
Post 5 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
I haven't obtained a guide in many years. But I used to get them as soon as they came out. Yearly and monthly update editions.

I guess I just realized I could find out whatever I wanted to know, on the internet.

Same reason I threw away my Encyclopedia Britannica set I paid $800 for in the 80's.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector SpiderTim private msg quote post Address this user
It is the definite grading guide so if something has changed it is worth taking into account for future submissions. Sometimes I see people argue over if a piece of the cover missing would get a comic a 0.5 grade or a 1.0; this book can help you clear those doubts!
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Are we talking about the Overstreet price guide or the Overstreet grading book?
Post 8 IP   flag post
@BrianGreensnips The grading guide

Post 9 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR shrewbeer private msg quote post Address this user
Personally, I am a bit peeved that there isnt a national "standard" to grading, but this book certainly helps that (assuming no changes are being made to existing rules), and hopefully it's sole purpose is to clarify existing rules. Adding detail to gray areas would be great, (i.e. CBCS giving coverlets books .3, CGC giving NG (BS!), and in my opinion the rules before Pro grading came along Coverless was a poor .5). A universally excepted grading criteria would be great for the industry especially now that the pro graders are out there; everyone should be following the same rules.

Any changes made to grading can be detrimental though, so hopefully there's none of that. Recently, I've noticed more and more CGC books in the high grades that shouldn't be there; while lowering the standard increases values across the board, it also creates an economic bubble. For collectors like myself that use books like a 401(k), that shit is stressful!

But I digress, I didn't actually answer your question! I think I'll pick up a copy at Barnes & Noble this week....
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
I have one from about 5 years ago. I find it pretty helpful. My edition is an older one but it uses the 10 point system. I also have an OWL card that compares whiteness of pages. You can find them on ebay for under $5.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrewbeer
Personally, I am a bit peeved that there isnt a national "standard" to grading, but this book certainly helps that (assuming no changes are being made to existing rules), and hopefully it's sole purpose is to clarify existing rules. Adding detail to gray areas would be great, (i.e. CBCS giving coverlets books .3, CGC giving NG (BS!), and in my opinion the rules before Pro grading came along Coverless was a poor .5). A universally excepted grading criteria would be great for the industry especially now that the pro graders are out there; everyone should be following the same rules.

Any changes made to grading can be detrimental though, so hopefully there's none of that. Recently, I've noticed more and more CGC books in the high grades that shouldn't be there; while lowering the standard increases values across the board, it also creates an economic bubble. For collectors like myself that use books like a 401(k), that shit is stressful!

But I digress, I didn't actually answer your question! I think I'll pick up a copy at Barnes & Noble this week....

The problem is that there is no science in grading. It is all subjective. There is no firm, unchanging reference that every book can be compared to. Then there is also the problem that many grade on a sliding scale. A modern 9.8 is very different from a silver 9.8, which is different from a gold 9.8. Not to mention the modern habit of overlooking and creating different "standards" for defects such as writing on the cover.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector TyrantK private msg quote post Address this user
I completely misread the post, obviously. I swear, I can read but assumed you were talking about the price guide. My bad.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by esaravo
And they are great to look at years later, also, to see how grading has changed over time. Like how there used to be a 100 point grading system.

Guys - a 100 point system is no different than a 10 point system. you are just moving a decimal point.

The thing that has changed most over time is how refined the grading scale has become. Some of the older collectors may recall this - when I was a kid, as far as some old-school dealers were concerned a book was either "Good", "Fine", or "Mint". Sounds crazy, I know, but in the early days that was it.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector NewComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:

[quote]Guys - a 100 point system is no different than a 10 point system. you are just moving a decimal point.

I would respectfully disagree with this. For one thing, I don't think any grading company could grade consistently with the 100 point system. It's hard to do it with the 10 point system now, even with the leeway the 10 point system allows. I don't think you'd ever get the same grade twice on a resubmit. "My 7.1 came back a 6.8, what the hell?" It all seems way too anal, and it's bad enough already.

I also think TATs would get even worse if the graders had to be so specific with the 100 point system. They'd be under even more pressure to be consistent and that would mean more time with each book.

Imo even through CGC had to shoehorn in the grades to match the numbers, the 10 point system is a good compromise between alpha grades and the 100 point system. My feeling is, if you have a book that you think is a tweener, just go with the lower grade. That way you won't be disappointed.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector TommyJasmin private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewComics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJasmin
Quote:

[quote]Guys - a 100 point system is no different than a 10 point system. you are just moving a decimal point.

I would respectfully disagree with this. For one thing, I don't think any grading company could grade consistently with the 100 point system. It's hard to do it with the 10 point system now, even with the leeway the 10 point system allows. I don't think you'd ever get the same grade twice on a resubmit. "My 7.1 came back a 6.8, what the hell?" It all seems way too anal, and it's bad enough already.

I also think TATs would get even worse if the graders had to be so specific with the 100 point system. They'd be under even more pressure to be consistent and that would mean more time with each book.

Imo even through CGC had to shoehorn in the grades to match the numbers, the 10 point system is a good compromise between alpha grades and the 100 point system. My feeling is, if you have a book that you think is a tweener, just go with the lower grade. That way you won't be disappointed.

Hi NewComics - just a misunderstanding here. All I meant is a 9.6 is of course equivalent to a 96 on the 100 point scale. Think about it this way - what you are calling a "10 point system" has 27 separate grades. It's simply a decimal system.

I agree with the rest of your statement. Trying to get any closer than the nearest multiple of 5, anywhere between 20 and 80 (or 2.0 and 8.0 if you prefer) is kinda nuts.

At the very high end, as we all know, a point or two matters a great deal.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector Online_Commentator private msg quote post Address this user
Hi Forum,

I have the 2015 edition of the Overstreet Comic Book Grading Guide.

https://www.amazon.com/Overstreet-Guide-Grading-Comics-2015/dp/1603601678

What are the differences between the 2015 and 2016 editions?

Thank you.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector BLBcomics private msg quote post Address this user
Differences? Looks like they changed out Superman & Batman for Capt, TMNT and some sort of Bat Girl. Grading criteria still remains the same with alternating nano-sliced descriptions of where what goes means when to make educated guess

Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The advertising is one year newer.
Post 19 IP   flag post
598095 19 19
This topic is archived. Start new topic?