Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

PGM GIANT SIZE X-MEN 1153

Collector WCollecbales private msg quote post Address this user
Hi,
Any help would be much appreciated, I'm very new to comics and haven't gotten my head around the grading yet. I have a rough estimate but my accuracy is questionable.
Thanks in advanced!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator The_Watcher private msg quote post Address this user
What's going on with the back cover? Is that some kind of rippling from creases or moisture?
Post 2 IP   flag post
It's a binding ripple caused at the point of manufacture. I'm not to sure how this would affect the grade. Any estimate would be much appreciated.
Post 3 IP   flag post
It definitely affects the grade, but I'm pretty sure it can be lessened by pressing, if you're so inclined. It's a little difficult to see the book against the white background. In the future, you may want to use a sheet of colored (or coloured) construction paper as a background. It makes a white covered book stand out more. That being said, it looks to be in the F/F+ range.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
I think youd have to provide us with higher rez pics in order to assess a close to accurate grade on this. Just a thought
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Owen_Lorder private msg quote post Address this user
But so far I agree with Watch.. needs pressing
Post 6 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
What's going on with the back cover? Is that some kind of rippling from creases or moisture?

It's from the glue. A good presser who knows how to handle square bounds without crushing the spine can even it out.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
The pressing issue I see is if the back rippling is caused by mis-gluing, so there is an excess of paper causing the ripple. If pressed, either machine or hand, that excess needs somewhere to go. Without an outlet it could end up resulting in some flat creasing. Unless the cover could be unglued and pressed as a whole, then reglued.
Post 8 IP   flag post
That's why it would need to be someone with extensive square bound experience.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Ok guys thanks for all the help, I posted on CGC forums and so far no one cared enough to answer. It's pretty clear that this is a better community. So I'm gonna go ahead and buy the comic, even without the pressing I'm getting a great deal.

So how would I get this pressed? Any recommendations? I know PGX does pressing but I don't want to PGX a high value book as it will probably affect the value. Any way to press this professionally and get CGC/CBCS to grade the book?
Post 10 IP   flag post
@WCollecbales I'm not sure if there's anyone in the UK that does pressing. If you don't mind sending the book to the States, I highly recommend CFP Comics. Joe does an outstanding job and knows what he's doing. I've used him to press books for my personal collection. He's a member here, so you can contact him that way or through his website clickable text

Just wanted to add that Joe will send your books to whichever grading company you want
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCollecbales
So how would I get this pressed? Any recommendations? I know PGX does pressing...?

Post 12 IP   flag post
@DrWatson Lol, yeah no PGX
Post 13 IP   flag post
@The_Watcher OK, sound good, are they really that good even though they charge only $10?
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
@The_Watcher OK, sound good, are they really that good even though they charge only $10?

Absolutely. Joe has a lot of experience and is highly regarded by many
Post 15 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
So how would I get this pressed? Any recommendations? I know PGX does pressing...?

Yeah, for your own safety completely disregard PGX
Post 16 IP   flag post
I'll stay away from PGX and go for the one you suggested! I'll send it off when I get the money, just picked up Heroes for Hire 1, Avengers 57 and ASM 129 do kinda broke right now!
Post 17 IP   flag post
Excellent decision. Cheers!
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
That's why it would need to be someone with extensive square bound experience.

Indeed. Not for the cavalier.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
Want
Post 20 IP   flag post
@The_Watcher @DrWatson @PovRow @Owen_Lorder

Thanks to every-one that helped, unfortunelty I just received the book and their could be a possible restoration issue. I posted the pictures in another post, any help would be much appreciated as I don't really know much about restoration/grading.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector FN_2199 private msg quote post Address this user
Almost all of my old Spidey Annuals have the back waviness thing going on. It is common on old square bound books. I sent one to Joe to see how much better he could make it. I didn't see any more waves after that (but it was in a slab so kinda hard to tell). No hits on the grader notes for that defect though.
Post 22 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
The book can be improved on greatly. Here is a square bound book I am working on now. The back cover has ripples that are deep and stretched out over time from excess glue. Will have the finished results up tomorrow.

Post 23 IP   flag post
KUNG FU PANNDA greggy private msg quote post Address this user
Joey has pressed many of my DC 100 pagers and have gotten plenty of 9.8s for me.
Post 24 IP   flag post
@greggy @CFP_Comics @FN_2199
So I got the comic back and it turned out there were no defect on the back, that was a shadow created by the seller's scanner. I have scanned and uploaded new vids on a different thread.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector ccmp99 private msg quote post Address this user
As it stands now I'd say 5.5 - 6.5 without a press.
Post 26 IP   flag post
@ccmp99 Here is the link to some better pictures, the pictures make it look worse than it is.
Here are some improved pictures.

clickable text
Post 27 IP   flag post
@WCollecbales When scanning a comic, ALWAYS remove it from the bag. Even with that, it looks like there MAY be some rippling from the glue. Hard to accurately tell
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Watcher
@WCollecbales When scanning a comic, ALWAYS remove it from the bag. Even with that, it looks like there MAY be some rippling from the glue. Hard to accurately tell

Lol, not happening, WAY to scared about damaging the book! I've examined the book extensively and shown it to a few collectors I know and I can't see any rippling. The stuff you see near the spine are shadows created by the scanner. I'm using my grandparents old model as I don't currently own a scanner of my own. I'm not gonna get it pressed... even if it comes back a 5.0 I could make a good profit. Not selling it though, I doubt i'll ever be able to replace it if I do. Thanks for the help, I submitted it today so it's out of my hands, I'll know the grade in a few weeks and let you all know what it is when I do.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggy
Joey has pressed many of my DC 100 pagers and have gotten plenty of 9.8s for me.

Same here. Joey or CFP_Comics has pressed hundreds of books for me. Square bounds, pedigrees, Signature Series, Sketches. the whole nine yards. In fact, I have another batch I'm getting ready to send as we speak.
Post 30 IP   flag post
601214 43 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?