Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedSigning Opportunities

The SLAB WARS HAVE BEGUN! C2E2-ECCC only CGC1507

COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
@PovRow unless I'm missing something I don't think people have been praising CBCS all that much. I also don't remember CBCS doing anything towards CGC except opening the doors for business. If I'm missing something let me know.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
I am hearing that CBCS had an exclusive with Virginia ComicCon last year. I do see shards of it in Google searches but so far cannot find it outright stated beyond VCC themselves saying CBCS is the "Official Grading Company of VCC!" Anyone know if this was an exclusive? If so, it kind of changes things up.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
@PovRow unless I'm missing something I don't think people have been praising CBCS all that much. I also don't remember CBCS doing anything towards CGC except opening the doors for business. If I'm missing something let me know.

As I said, I posted that on the CGC boards and that "praise for business sense" was aimed at them.

Regardless, I am still curious on the real scoop regarding the VA Comic Con and if CBCS had an exclusive with them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Regardless, I am still curious on the real scoop regarding the VA Comic Con and if CBCS had an exclusive with them.

About seven comments in, CopperAgeKids mentions that both will be there. That doesn't sound like an exclusive to me. And I can name things that CBCS has done to help the collecting community, like stepping up and sponsoring ICE in the UK so it didn't have to fold when their sponsor pulled out last minute. Like doing a free grading seminar in their first year. Like sponsoring tshirts for a facebook comic page with the proceeds going to Hero Initiative. Can you tell me one thing that CGC has done in the last two years to help promote the hobby?? I'm serious. I don't keep up with them as closely as I do CBCS. I'd be very interested in knowing.

Here's the link. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9588476&fpart=1
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:

About seven comments in, CopperAgeKids mentions that both will be there. That doesn't sound like an exclusive to me. And I can name things that CBCS has done to help the collecting community, like stepping up and sponsoring ICE in the UK so it didn't have to fold when their sponsor pulled out last minute. Like doing a free grading seminar in their first year. Like sponsoring tshirts for a facebook comic page with the proceeds going to Hero Initiative. Can you tell me one thing that CGC has done in the last two years to help promote the hobby?? I'm serious. I don't keep up with them as closely as I do CBCS. I'd be very interested in knowing.

Here's the link. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9588476&fpart=1

CAK's assertion is being questioned. I am still trying to find out the real answer. So far no one has any definitive proof one way or another, which is ridiculous. No one can come up with a real answer so far.

As far as charities goes, I did not bring up nor am I talking about charities. If PGX started doing charitable events would they suddenly become a desirable TPG?

I am just getting sick to death of the Hatfield/McCoy mentality.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Sorry, I just took what you said on a previous post and I must have gotten confused.

Quote:
People seem to be caring less about the actual hobby, less about comic books, and care more about the business of the businesses. Something is getting very out of whack. What could have been healthy competition with room for both companies, we now have a field fraught with hostility. Neither company is coming out looking good here.

I guess you were referring to collectors in general, since CBCS has and is doing things to help the hobby.
Post 31 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle313
No public response from CBCS is a little disconcerting. Some update would be nice.

Get used to it.
Post 32 IP   flag post
@PovRow So just curious what has you upset about everything going on. Are you mad at CBCS because you think they started it by a convention in Virginia. Are you mad because the pedigree book is probably not going to get done because the major people involved work for different company's. Or is it that no matter what CGC or CBCS does you think it's followers will praise them no matter what.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Quote:
@PovRow Or is it that no matter what CGC or CBCS does you think it's followers will praise them no matter what.

This is probably closest to the options you listed - not exactly but closest. The Carbonaro and Litch posts on FB just put a match to the fuse.
Post 34 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
@PovRow Or is it that no matter what CGC or CBCS does you think it's followers will praise them no matter what.

This is probably closest to the options you listed - not exactly but closest. The Carbonaro and Litch posts on FB just put a match to the fuse.
I said I wouldn't traffic their forum again but i did just go read the thread on the cgc end I figured if I was going to make statement I should know what i was making the statements about.

1. I do not remember chests being pounded about a exclusive CBCS can only go to Virginia con show. Not saying it didn't happen just don't remember it.

2. People like what they like. Seems like the Pom Pom's where in full effect in the CGC thread. If it makes them feel better about their investments with cgc books so be it.

3. This is my opinion CGC and CBCS will not be a "friendly Competition" . There may be enough for both to thrive but I doubt either one wants to share.

4. Just imagine when CBCS fixes the label, starts grading magazines, rolls out the competitive sets and a census, and reworks the forum.

5. I remember seeing the Carbonaro and Litch thing. And I saw how Carbonaro was flamed over there with other accusations. It almost looks like if you plan on doing business with both companies CGC is not Ok with that.

6. And the pedigree book was a joke that shipped sailed years ago
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector MetalPSI private msg quote post Address this user
The SS program here needs an overhaul as well
Post 36 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
I am hearing that CBCS had an exclusive with Virginia ComicCon last year. I do see shards of it in Google searches but so far cannot find it outright stated beyond VCC themselves saying CBCS is the "Official Grading Company of VCC!" Anyone know if this was an exclusive? If so, it kind of changes things up.

Here is an "official" response about VA Comicon...

CBCS was headlined as the "Official Grading Company of the VA Comicon" but there was no exclusivity for us. CGC was on the vendor list until the last minute. A week or two before the show they pulled out and cancelled. I have no idea why; you'll have to ask them.

CBCS has been offered exclusive access to several shows since we've opened, but we've turned it down every time because we feel it hurts the hobby. We want to gain customers by doing our thing, not by eliminating choices for the collectors. We're here to add a choice. If you like us, send us some books.

And finally, we don't penalize anyone for sending books to CGC. Hell, when customers come to our booth with magazines, we've physically walked them to the CGC booth so they can get their books slabbed. Those happy customers come to CBCS again. It seems to be working for us.
Post 37 IP   flag post
Thanks, Steve! It has been a job of work getting a straight answer to this. It is refreshing to see the non-exclusivity mindset.
Post 38 IP   flag post
Quote:
Thanks, Steve! It has been a job of work getting a straight answer to this. It is refreshing to see the non-exclusivity mindset.

No problem. We appreciate the support.
Post 39 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

CBCS was headlined as the "Official Grading Company of the VA Comicon" but there was no exclusivity for us. CGC was on the vendor list until the last minute. A week or two before the show they pulled out and cancelled. I have no idea why; you'll have to ask them.

CBCS has been offered exclusive access to several shows since we've opened, but we've turned it down every time because we feel it hurts the hobby. We want to gain customers by doing our thing, not by eliminating choices for the collectors. We're here to add a choice. If you like us, send us some books.

And finally, we don't penalize anyone for sending books to CGC. Hell, when customers come to our booth with magazines, we've physically walked them to the CGC booth so they can get their books slabbed. Those happy customers come to CBCS again. It seems to be working for us.

Steve, I'm hope there is a plan in place, or are working on a plan for C2E2.

As it stands, RIGHT NOW, according to ReedPOP/C2E2/ECCC, CBCS Comics is barred from advertising at the shows, and barred from renting booth space.

A response I received from the people who run the C2E2 Facebook page states that "They (CBCS Comics) are still free to come to the show and Fans are still able to work with them if they choose. We do anticipate that CBCS will try to make their presence known in another way - so for that we would definitely recommend Fans reach out to CBCS to see what they are planning to do."

Sounds awfully tough to conduct business when you're barred from having a booth and advertising.

I hope CBCS has some sort of presence at the show. Someway, somehow.
Post 40 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
To me this "exclusive rights, access or whatever you what to call it" busts up the spirit of the purpose of these conventions. Just seems wrong and most definitely rubs me the wrong way.
Post 41 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle313
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts

Steve, I'm hope there is a plan in place, or are working on a plan for C2E2.

As it stands, RIGHT NOW, according to ReedPOP/C2E2/ECCC, CBCS Comics is barred from advertising at the shows, and barred from renting booth space.

A response I received from the people who run the C2E2 Facebook page states that "They (CBCS Comics) are still free to come to the show and Fans are still able to work with them if they choose. We do anticipate that CBCS will try to make their presence known in another way - so for that we would definitely recommend Fans reach out to CBCS to see what they are planning to do."

Sounds awfully tough to conduct business when you're barred from having a booth and advertising.

I hope CBCS has some sort of presence at the show. Someway, somehow.

We will definitely have something planned for the show. We will announce the details closer to the time of the convention. We're working on it.
Post 42 IP   flag post
Collector Thanatos private msg quote post Address this user
Any chance of CBCS showing up at Pensacon in Feb? Not a very big Con but it's fairly close to St.Peterburg and I don't think CGC is attending. I would volunteer to help run that booth lol
Post 43 IP   flag post
This just in from across the street...
"Anybody else besides me decide to CALL Reed and ask them about it? Per the CSR I spoke with, at those two shows the exclusivity deal pertains to onsite grading only. They welcome all booths. Feel free to give them a ring if you'd like, but they are closed for today. 1.203.840.4800 "

So now we go round and round again. Does anyone know how to give a direct, straight answer first time out? This is becoming ridiculous.
Post 44 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Why are you so distressed over it?

Post 45 IP   flag post
This is from the Reed Pop facebook page. CBCS is not allowed to exhibit or advertise. I suppose they could buy a booth, they just can't say who or what they are. Reed Pop has also said the AW's will be welcome and anyone wearing a CBCS shirt will not be asked to change or leave. LOL

Is that clear enough??
Post 46 IP   flag post
I am distressed because I have known people on both sides for 15 years and more it gives me ajada to see the lines being drawn. Same thing happened when I was involved in writing about film. There were two factions and I had friends on both sides. I ended up stopping writing and haven't spoken with any of them in many years.
Post 47 IP   flag post
If you aren't the one drawing lines, then why are you worrying about crossing them? I doubt you'll find yourself in a situation where the warring parties are in the same conversational circle.
Post 48 IP   flag post
Because friends don't like to see friends getting on each other. Sorry, unlike Lucifer I *am* just human!
Post 49 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
This is from the Reed Pop facebook page. CBCS is not allowed to exhibit or advertise. I suppose they could buy a booth, they just can't say who or what they are. Reed Pop has also said the AW's will be welcome and anyone wearing a CBCS shirt will not be asked to change or leave. LOL

Is that clear enough??

Well thank god someone finally DID get a clear direct response. Thanks Jesse!
Post 50 IP   flag post
Quote:
Because friends don't like to see friends getting on each other. Sorry, unlike Lucifer I *am* just human!

It's like Celebrity Deathmatch without the celebrities.
Post 51 IP   flag post
It makes me a sad pony.
Post 52 IP   flag post
Quote:
This just in from across the street...
"Anybody else besides me decide to CALL Reed and ask them about it? Per the CSR I spoke with, at those two shows the exclusivity deal pertains to onsite grading only. They welcome all booths. Feel free to give them a ring if you'd like, but they are closed for today. 1.203.840.4800 "

So now we go round and round again. Does anyone know how to give a direct, straight answer first time out? This is becoming ridiculous.

Straight answer: CBCS will not have a booth on the convention floor at ECCC. They will not sell us a booth because of the deal with CGC.
Post 53 IP   flag post
Indeed, so it seems Steve. Thanks again to Steve and Jesse.
Post 54 IP   flag post
Quote:
It makes me a sad pony.

Post 55 IP   flag post
600880 76 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?