Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedSigning Opportunities

The SLAB WARS HAVE BEGUN! C2E2-ECCC only CGC1507

Collector Gabriel85301 private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sure you read the article right?

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/11/15/cgc-slabbing-service-allowed-within-walls-c2e2-eccc-2020/#.WCtFXRPwcCQ.facebook

I was planning on hitting these cons each within the next two years and ECCC sold out in 17 minutes.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TyrantK private msg quote post Address this user
As stated in the comment section of the article, it appears that CGC is feeling the heat of the competition. The market should decide who they get access to and it should not be determined by who is willing to pony up more bucks.

Shrug, this is how the market works, though. Companies and businesses will pay more money for exclusive sponsorships. I don't agree with it but it's common practice in other realms of business.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector DarthKribs private msg quote post Address this user
It will be interesting to see where this will lead.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
This just makes me less inclined to do business with CGC. Although I am sure they won't miss me as a customer.
Post 4 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Foghorn_Sam private msg quote post Address this user
This is preposterous. What's next, Marvel or DC trying to do the same, or Metropolis or Lone Star tying to get similar exclusive rights so they are the only ones who can sell back issues at certain venues? This could set a very bad precedent that may end up being the death knell of conventions as we know them. I hope this completely backfires on CGC and these conventions that would allow this kind of monopolization at their shows.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Johnnylray private msg quote post Address this user
Hi all, I am a newbee here into the forums and getting books slabbed. My 2 cents on this topic is brief. The cons cannot tell me who to spend my grading money with, and by the looks of the CGC sweat, you can bet we will see more deals /incentives to use CBCS! ...Ray/RI
Post 6 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Makes no difference to me. I get all my commissioned sketches and yellow label CBCS books from @TrinityComics almost exclusively (Thanks Matt) and any other example or time is my own art of my own yellow labels. I get all my signatures done with VSP anyway so who cares. *SHRUGS*
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Reminds me of restaurants that sell Coco Cola or Pepsi, but not both.

Deals are made. Money is exchanged for targeted monopoly.

It is the American way.

I actually do the same thing on a small scale. I don't use CGC.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
I can see this being just for onsite grading. That I don't care about. But this just sucks to not have CBCS onsite at all.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Revan_Q private msg quote post Address this user
If this is for onsite grading, I'm just going to shrug it off. But to not allow onsite submissions its ridiculous.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
The way I am reading the article is that it is only for on-site grading. I take it CBCS witnesses could still conduct business unless CGC strong arms that too. It's a dick move, but money talks.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Chubbyfresh77 private msg quote post Address this user
I have been to ECCC almost every year (except when my daughter was born) for the past 7 years. I am not going this year. It has become an overpriced crap shoot, and I refuse to use CGC. So I will travel down to Portland instead and actually save some money at the show compared to ECCC. Very sad.
Post 12 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
I honestly can say I removed all the bookmarks for CGC and the CGC forums on my computer. I actually went on and answered a couple of PM's I had and I'm done. I'm closing the door on that company. I will not be sending any books their way. And they will not be getting any traffic on their websites from me any longer. I will still buy CGC books on the secondary market, especially old slab stuff. I will stay away from the stuff that's in that new chuck of freaky thick hard plastic. So if a storm is a brewing I have made my choice NOW don't let me down CBCS fix the stuff that needs fixing.
Post 13 IP   flag post
CBCS broke up with me over Facebook. CFP_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loiselle313
I can see this being just for onsite grading. That I don't care about. But this just sucks to not have CBCS onsite at all.

Doubt it is about that. CGC may have been in talks with these companies about doing on-site grading for some time, and finally agreed with one stipulation regarding the exclusivity. Since CBCS does not do true on-site (at least not yet) it should be no biggie. There are plenty of other shows and, if they were on top of things, CBCS should be on the phone with them right now to solidify the chances of them getting exclusive rights to on-site grading at those shows.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Loiselle313 private msg quote post Address this user
No public response from CBCS is a little disconcerting. Some update would be nice.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
The way it appears at this time, this is a ban on CBCS and any other third party grader from being at these shows period. They cannot buy booth space. Mark Roman has said on a couple facebook groups that no one should panic, CBCS has a plan but will not be announcing it until it is closer to the first con, ECCC.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector 1952MB private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS needs to give us Magazine size slabs??? cant wait no longer.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952MB
CBCS needs to give us Magazine size slabs??? cant wait no longer.
I overheard a gentlemnen be told at RI Comic Con that CBCS is currently developing the casing for this and they're shooting for next Spring to have it available.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Ashdad private msg quote post Address this user
I wonder if CBCS could offer a discount, with proof of con purchase. Like attach a picture of you con badge, or proof of purchase, to your submission form, and get like 15% knocked off the submission price.

Just an idea.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdad
I wonder if CBCS could offer a discount, with proof of con purchase. Like attach a picture of you con badge, or proof of purchase, to your submission form, and get like 15% knocked off the submission price.

Just an idea.
They already offer a discount if you buy into their Membership program. It's worth the money with the coupons you get and if you do multiple submissions in a year.
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector Ashdad private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by slq955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdad

Just an idea.
They already offer a discount if you buy into their Membership program. It's worth the money with the coupons you get and if you do multiple submissions in a year.

I am aware of that. My spitball was more a 1 time thing to push back against this deal with ReedPop CGC did. Either way my girlfriend and I have already decided Rose City is our chosen con after going this past year. So just another reason to skip ECCC.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector ares private msg quote post Address this user
CBCS should setup a booth in a truck outside the convention center. CGC cant do anything about it then
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector obiwan1971 private msg quote post Address this user
As an AW for CBCS I will be set up and can take books to submit. Anyway I can help fans out I will do my best
Post 23 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ares
CBCS should setup a booth in a truck outside the convention center. CGC cant do anything about it then
You couldn't hold it against CBCS if they did something like this. Or even better the home hotel for the con reserve a conference room at the recommended hotel for the convention. Hand out fliers on the outside to bring people in.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector PovRow private msg quote post Address this user
I posted this across the street and since it concerns both CGC and CBCS am mposting it here as well.

Both sides: CGC and CBCS, have been acting like spoiled kids. Seeing posts praising the "business sense" etc. of this move makes me wonder how close we are coming to a RUNNING MAN society. People seem to be caring less about the actual hobby, less about comic books, and care more about the business of the businesses. Something is getting very out of whack. What could have been healthy competition with room for both companies, we now have a field fraught with hostility. Neither company is coming out looking good here.
Post 25 IP   flag post
@PovRow unless I'm missing something I don't think people have been praising CBCS all that much. I also don't remember CBCS doing anything towards CGC except opening the doors for business. If I'm missing something let me know.
Post 26 IP   flag post
I am hearing that CBCS had an exclusive with Virginia ComicCon last year. I do see shards of it in Google searches but so far cannot find it outright stated beyond VCC themselves saying CBCS is the "Official Grading Company of VCC!" Anyone know if this was an exclusive? If so, it kind of changes things up.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWKyle
@PovRow unless I'm missing something I don't think people have been praising CBCS all that much. I also don't remember CBCS doing anything towards CGC except opening the doors for business. If I'm missing something let me know.

As I said, I posted that on the CGC boards and that "praise for business sense" was aimed at them.

Regardless, I am still curious on the real scoop regarding the VA Comic Con and if CBCS had an exclusive with them.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow
Regardless, I am still curious on the real scoop regarding the VA Comic Con and if CBCS had an exclusive with them.

About seven comments in, CopperAgeKids mentions that both will be there. That doesn't sound like an exclusive to me. And I can name things that CBCS has done to help the collecting community, like stepping up and sponsoring ICE in the UK so it didn't have to fold when their sponsor pulled out last minute. Like doing a free grading seminar in their first year. Like sponsoring tshirts for a facebook comic page with the proceeds going to Hero Initiative. Can you tell me one thing that CGC has done in the last two years to help promote the hobby?? I'm serious. I don't keep up with them as closely as I do CBCS. I'd be very interested in knowing.

Here's the link. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9588476&fpart=1
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse_O
Quote:
Originally Posted by PovRow

About seven comments in, CopperAgeKids mentions that both will be there. That doesn't sound like an exclusive to me. And I can name things that CBCS has done to help the collecting community, like stepping up and sponsoring ICE in the UK so it didn't have to fold when their sponsor pulled out last minute. Like doing a free grading seminar in their first year. Like sponsoring tshirts for a facebook comic page with the proceeds going to Hero Initiative. Can you tell me one thing that CGC has done in the last two years to help promote the hobby?? I'm serious. I don't keep up with them as closely as I do CBCS. I'd be very interested in knowing.

Here's the link. http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9588476&fpart=1

CAK's assertion is being questioned. I am still trying to find out the real answer. So far no one has any definitive proof one way or another, which is ridiculous. No one can come up with a real answer so far.

As far as charities goes, I did not bring up nor am I talking about charities. If PGX started doing charitable events would they suddenly become a desirable TPG?

I am just getting sick to death of the Hatfield/McCoy mentality.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596798 76 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?