Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Copper AgeComics Modern AgePop CultureSignatures

Ramos and Perez no longer in Trump states?1499

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
As most of you have probably already read by now, George Perez and Humberto Ramos have both decided not to attend signings and conventions in states that voted Trump. They'll fulfill current obligations but after that, no more.

I'm afraid to ask this because I know how divisive a subject it can be but what are your thoughts on this? There's a few schools of thought forming:

1) I live in a blue state so I'm good to go
2) I live in a red state and I'll deal
3) I live in a red state and I didn't vote red, what about me?
4) It's their decision why should I care one way or the other

(Please keep it respectful lol remember we're hear to talk comics and we share that commmonality. oh gawd I hope I dont regret this LOL)
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector QuaBrot private msg quote post Address this user
Wouldn't this be collective punishment?

Whatever, everyone has the right to (or not) do business with whomever they want. Their choice.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
From a UK perspective, and just my opinion, I find that a really strange statement/decision by them both.

From their decisions i take it they believe that

1) No one attending that specific con are from "out of town"
2) Every single person attending that specific con agreed and voted against their own choice.

It would be easy to say they're throwing their dummy out the pram but I know it cuts a lot deeper for you guys over there. Just strikes me as a big finger up to the loyal fans and followers they may have
Post 3 IP   flag post
You think I'm joking, I'm not. earthshaker01 private msg quote post Address this user
One word for them. "Bye" There are plenty of real Americans that can take their convention apots.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
It's a shame that people mix business with politics. It's unfortunate, but ultimately their right. George Perez never charged for his autographs and so I doubt conventions were ever about money for him. I agree with Quabrot, he's trying to punish the majority.

The flip side is out of sight out of mind. He only is doing his own comic series now and I don't think it's doing very well. Less and less people like his work.

As for Ramos, I never met the guy. I doubt people will stop buying comics he participates in.

It bothers me that they need to inject their politics into the comic scene. We all have our different beliefs, but what brings people together from all kinds of backgrounds is our shared love of comics. They are trying to build their own walls while decrying the one that trump wants to build.

Then there are many young fans that weren't involved in the elections at all that they're disappointing.

Personally, I unfollowed Perez on fb.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector infinityG private msg quote post Address this user
i didn't like either of them (candidates) but they're perpetuating the divisiveness by making these decisions.

Doesn't help.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Crap, that means Ramos will still sign in my state.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
I voted third party, so I have safely watched all of the insanity as a neutral, as I couldn't stomach either of the primary choices personally. But I have a lot of family and loved ones that voted for both candidates. Some of them while holding their noses, some proudly. None of them are hateful.

I kind of agree with GradeAUnderA from youtube, the hypocrisy right now is mind boggling.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Robots_One private msg quote post Address this user
Grown adults being petty.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
There were people in ALL 50 STATES that voted for Trump. Does that mean they are not signing in the US period? While I think Perez is a great guy, this stance is unfounded and silly.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector* Towmater private msg quote post Address this user
First I've heard of it. Where did you read it?

I have enjoyed meeting Mr. Perez in the past. He's a very nice man. However, any comic creator not attending this show or that show isn't going to effect how I vote or whom I vote for in an election. It just isn't. I don't look to comic book creators for guidance in that area of my life.

The stance becomes a way to alienate the fans in the states that they won't travel to. The stance also punishes anyone under 18 who reads comics. They can't vote. A 14 year old who lives in the mid-west and wanted to meet them is punished for something he/she had no control over. That 14 year old who lives in FL would have to get their parents to travel to VA, or IL in order to meet them.
Post 11 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
Anything I use for escapism I do NOT want to hear a political or religious view to come along with my escapism.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Here's a link if anyone wants to read it
http://perez.comicbookseries.info/news/georgeperezandhumbertoramoswillnotattendcomicconventionsinpro-trumpstates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towmater
First I've heard of it. Where did you read it?

Post 13 IP   flag post
Beaten by boat oars Studley_Dudley private msg quote post Address this user
People are free to make their own decisions even if it is asinine.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Perez will honor his 2017 obligations, this all takes affect in 2018. Here is his 2017 schedule:

January 7–8: Los Angeles Comic Book and Science Fiction Convention, Los Angeles, CA
January 14-15: Albuquerque Comic Con, Albuquerque, NM
January 28: North Texas Comic Book Show, Dallas, TX
February 17-19: Amazing Arizona Comic Con, Phoenix, AZ
April 29–30: East Coast Comic Con, Secaucus, NJ
June 23-25: Amazing Las Vegas Comic Con, Las Vegas, NV
July 7-9: North American Science Fiction Con, San Juan, PR
July 28-30: Florida Supercon, Miami, FL
August 10-13: Fetish Con, St. Petersburg, FL
August 19-20: Terrificon, Uncasville, CT
August 26-27: Wizard World Chicago, Chigagi, IL
September 1-4: Dragon Con, Atlanta, GA
October 20-22: Grand Rapids Comic Con, Grand Rapids, MI
Post 15 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
If they want to self destruct their careers that's cool brah I still read turtles and spider-man either way. Ramos is not my favorite Spider-man guy anyways so blah
Post 16 IP   flag post
Collector cseale0223 private msg quote post Address this user
I think its childish and stupid. We all need to get over the election crap and go on with our lives. Those two are just punishing fans for having a different opinion.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Collector Superworld private msg quote post Address this user
I'm surprised that everyone on here is so hostile to their decision.
Since they're of Hispanic descent, they're undoubtedly feeling the sting of Trump's hatred of them and their ilk.

Protest is a long proud American tradition, and while it can be self defeating in their case, it's a principled decision.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
1) Cuts out a whole lot of states and people.

2) Goes back to my "full of themselves" statement.

3) Cuts their own bottom line.

4) I vow to only poop in blue states. I can throw a tantrum with the best of them.

5) This post will go poof in 4, 3, 2, 1...........
Post 19 IP   flag post
Collector rtdcomics private msg quote post Address this user
@Superworld i don't think anyone has any hostility towards their decision as such, i think its more a case of why are they tarring everyone with the same brush (coincidentally something which a lot of people disliked about some Trump supporters and values). Their political views are their own and they have the right to have/believe them but as several people have commented the impact of their decision doesn't just effect this "generic Trump supporter" but it effects fans of the industry, fans of their work and everyone attending a comic con.

Personally it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to me. I wont be there to experience their decision to attend (or not as the case may be). I just feel its a shame for fans of the industry to be impacted in such a far removed way.
Post 20 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superworld
I'm surprised that everyone on here is so hostile to their decision.
Since they're of Hispanic descent, they're undoubtedly feeling the sting of Trump's hatred of them and their ilk.

Protest is a long proud American tradition, and while it can be self defeating in their case, it's a principled decision.

What's funny is I didn't even realize they were both Hispanic ethnicity. Is that bad? I do not look at skin color. Maybe that's the underlying issue here. Nobody is considering why they are making this stand.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector Superworld private msg quote post Address this user
Well, that's valid.
It does penalize many fans.
We'll see how it plays out.
They may come back into the fold.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
I respect their decision. In the greater scheme of things they will still hit the big shows in San Diego, Chicago and New York.

I live in Houston and all of our shows suck. We never get the big name talent or the big two companies, so it doesn't really affect me. It's sad because we're the 4th largest city in the US.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I posted what GP said, here is Humberto Ramos' Facebook post. Sorry I dont have a tl;dr

https://www.facebook.com/ramos.comic/posts/10155411228478976
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector antoniofett private msg quote post Address this user
As an american I fully respect his decision not to attend con or event is states that voted for trump. But why do the fans have to be punished? A vote for Trump wasn't a vote to kick Mr. Ramos out of the US so its selfish of him to think he isn't welcome in those states.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitCityComics

I live in Houston and all of our shows suck. We never get the big name talent or the big two companies, so it doesn't really affect me. It's sad because we're the 4th largest city in the US.

I vouch for this. I lived in Houston for 30yrs and moved to Seattle and thought I died and went to heaven at my first convention
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector FUEGOMUSIC private msg quote post Address this user
This is just a statement about respect.
As for Trump and his views, different to my views, he deserves the respect that this great country allows. Just as these artists have decided to express there views a certain way, they deserve the respect in expressing them.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Bottom line, It's there choice.
Post 27 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
As I said on Facebook:

How many shows did he attend that weren't in blue states already? It looks to me that the only states he will be cutting out are Florida and Texas. I have an Avengers 173 that he signed and I voted for Trump. He can have it back if he feels that strongly about it. Too bad certain people have to make everything political.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker01
One word for them. "Bye" There are plenty of real Americans that can take their convention apots.
"Real Americans?" So only when someone is in lockstep with YOUR thinking are they "real" Americans?
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieb
I voted third party, so I have safely watched all of the insanity as a neutral, as I couldn't stomach either of the primary choices personally. But I have a lot of family and loved ones that voted for both candidates. Some of them while holding their noses, some proudly. None of them are hateful.

I kind of agree with GradeAUnderA from youtube, the hypocrisy right now is mind boggling.
"I voted third party." Translation: you basically voted for Trump. Talk about hypocrisy. SMH.
Post 30 IP   flag post
597904 60 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.