Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS EventsGrading Help Needed

CBCS grading & restoration panels at Cons...143

President SteveBorock private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilverjanet
i've always thought this was a good idea.

maybe you could have folks submit books prior to the panel to illustrate some of the things to look for etc

Very cool idea. They can submit the books for grading, we check for restoration and give it a grade, with free graders notes, and explain why we gave the comic(s) the grade we did. Food for thought. Thanks, jsilverjanet!
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Steve what you and your great team would be doing. This woukd be amazing and very benifcial to new people who are wanting to enter the hobby or know about the hobby. Most people say its about grades and such. Others are just wanting it for the money. I love the hobby because i enjoy the stories and the artwork that these great woman and men put out there for people to read. Doing a Q&A would help these folks and let face it not be green. I would so love it if you ever come to West Texas for a con to do a Q&A.
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
Steve what you and your great team would be doing. This woukd be amazing and very benifcial to new people who are wanting to enter the hobby or know about the hobby. Most people say its about grades and such. Others are just wanting it for the money. I love the hobby because i enjoy the stories and the artwork that these great woman and men put out there for people to read. Doing a Q&A would help these folks and let face it not be green. I would so love it if you ever come to West Texas for a con to do a Q&A.

Thanks for the kind words and suggestions, Absolute_Zero!
Post 28 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPSI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsComics
Im all for it.
Id like to suggest the first topic.
Finding a new name to call unencapusulated comics other than "Raw"

Meduim-Well

LOL!
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector jsilverjanet private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveBorock
Quote:

maybe you could have folks submit books prior to the panel to illustrate some of the things to look for etc

Very cool idea. They can submit the books for grading, we check for restoration and give it a grade, with free graders notes, and explain why we gave the comic(s) the grade we did. Food for thought. Thanks, jsilverjanet!

This post should be worth at least 10,000 likes
Post 30 IP   flag post

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe, but it seems that not many people have interest....
Post 31 IP   flag post
Leftover Sundae Gnus CatmanAmerica private msg quote post Address this user
@SteveBorock Steve, if you can organize a panel, folk's will come.

I put together a panel very similar to the one you're trying to set-up with Richard Evans as my co-anchor two years running at Comicpalooza in Houston.

One of the things I learned was that you have to be persistent with your con staff liaisons to insure everything gets set-up properly and runs smoothly. Sometimes it works out, other times it's incredibly frustrating. It depends a lot on the enthusiasm of the convention folks you're working with.

There is never a guarantee of a big panel turnout at celebrity heavy conventions unless you're a media personality. Also, the organizers at mid-sized conventions may not be as organized as they lead you to believe.

That said, when it comes to getting a panel scheduled all you usually have to do is inform them long enough in advance that you have the credentials to speak on the subject and they'll usually provide a slot.

The things you can't predict are what you'll be up against in the same time slot or whether anyone working the convention (mostly unpaid volunteers) will help promote your panel.

The first year we did this was a train wreck because the convention kept shifting rooms and there was no way to let folks know where we were on the schedule. The second we got much better turn out and adequate function space.
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Dick_Pontoon private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it has more to do with the layout and navigation of the forum. I just stumbled across this thread today, 19 days after the last post. Although probably unlikley, it would be great if a revamp is possible. The setup is just not very user friendly and I think it’s going to greatly hamper how the forum develops and whether it will become a place with a nice sense of community where people want to spend time. That said, your posts are already a step in a good direction.

Back to the subject at hand, I think lots of folks would be interested in a panel like this.
Post 33 IP   flag post
Please continue to ignore anything I post. southerncross private msg quote post Address this user
I think it's a great idea to have a panel at a con.
My wife bought me a pass for the big Apple comic con for my birthday to attend next year.😀
It looks like a one day con just for comics and nothing else.
That be a perfect place to set up a panel discussing grading and restoration as the only people there would be comic book enthusiasts. Just a thought
Post 34 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick_Pontoon
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think it has more to do with the layout and navigation of the forum. I just stumbled across this thread today, 19 days after the last post. Although probably unlikley, it would be great if a revamp is possible. The setup is just not very user friendly and I think it’s going to greatly hamper how the forum develops and whether it will become a place with a nice sense of community where people want to spend time. That said, your posts are already a step in a good direction.

Back to the subject at hand, I think lots of folks would be interested in a panel like this.

Agreed on what Dick said here.I have a lot of respect for CBCS and I think these forum issues will be sorted out, in due time.I understand a smooth running forum has a couple snags, in the beginning.

I think vross promiting a thread like this over on Facebook would help get this in motion, if that has not already been done.The downside to that would be ...well, dealing with Facebook posters.hah.

I would definitely go in for this, at pretty much any show in the northeast area....and I think the overwhelming anounr of convention attendees who were already CBCS and/or CGC customers would eagerly show up for such a seminar.
Post 35 IP   flag post
598060 35 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?