Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Graded

Notes for cracked and resubmitted books1383

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
I was wondering if anyone knew if the grader's notes for a book somehow reflect that a book has been cracked and reslabbed, when resubmitted with the previous label?

I have one book that was cracked and resubmitted after getting some signatures but it was submitted by a third-party so I'm not sure if it was submitted with the previous label.

I think it would be neat if the grader's notes made a mention that the book was cracked and the notes were for reference only. They could also list any previous serial numbers the book may have had with links to those grader's notes, that way you can see how the book's changed over time, it may even help spot when/if a book's been pressed or resored, if that's important to you. If a book came from a different grader they can note the grader, the grade, and the old serial, even if there's no access to the grader's notes.

This has it's challenges of course since it requires consistent submissions of the old label and I'm not sure how well the majority of submissions are about that. Of course less than scrupulous sellers could neglect to submit the label to prevent a pressing from being easily identifiable. Once a label is not submitted then it'd start it's own lineage, which I don't have a problem with but kind of undermines the point of maintaining a lineage for each book.

What do you guys think?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector svgcomics181 private msg quote post Address this user
not submitting the label will screw up thier census
Post 2 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
The graders do not know when books are slab cracks, this keeps their opinions objective.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Nor am I saying they should. Only that the system should know to associate the new entry with an old one once the book is graded
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector OrbitCityComics private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by svgcomics181
not submitting the label will screw up thier census

I was under the assumption that CBCS does not have a census like CGC does.

Also, doesn't cracking open a CGC book and resubmitting it to CBCS screw up the CGC census?
Post 5 IP   flag post
@OrbitCityComics while cbcs doesn't have a public census yet, they should have the records of what they've graded from which to create the census. The main reason we've heard for not making it public has been that they're waiting to have graded enough books for the census to have some value.

One of the criticisms of the CGC census is that cracking, pressing, and resubmitting (CPR) without the labels (and let's face it, it's naive to think that people are always good to include them when resubmitting a book) has thrown off the census and yes, submitting CGC books to CBCS only adds to that problem.

Still, flawed as it is, people still find the census a useful tool and is one of the more requested features for CBCS.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthLego
The graders do not know when books are slab cracks, this keeps their opinions objective.

I guess I should be clear that when I say Grader's Notes I really mean the book's landing page on the CBCS site, like so.

So when I say I want a book's history on the grader's notes, I don't mean that the grader should make a note that the book was previously graded, etc; I mean that I want that information on the book's web page along with the book's identifying information, signature information, gallery image (as seen in that link above) and (hopefully) images of interior signatures, in addition to the actual grader's notes that point out flaws and what-not.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector steveinthecity private msg quote post Address this user
I don't think the grading companies want a history of a specific book to be known in so far as CPR goes. If a customer believes the book has already been maximized or reached it's "potential", that person is unlikely to submit that book(again). It would additionally hurt sellers/auction houses as a potential buyer might pass on a book that appears to have no upside for resale in the short term due to it's history in a holder.
Post 8 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
If a book has already been correctly pressed to maximize its potential, then it's more than likely that the notes will not display a list of pressable defects... duh.
Post 9 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Furthermore, if a book has simply been reholdered, then that process will not be reflected in the notes as it has nothing to do with the reasoning as to why the book received the grade it received.
Post 10 IP   flag post
600782 10 10
This topic is archived. Start new topic?