Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Movies TelevisionPop Culture

Wasted characters in movies and tv shows1352

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So comic book universes have grown far too large for any adaptation to properly cover every single base. That said, sometimes characters are marched on to screen in a role so small or mishandled that does no justice to the original character and sometimes ruins if bot completely negates them for the rest of the adaptation; and in this current setting of cinematic universes and interconnected tv shows, that adaptation can extend for years.

What are some characters you think were really wasted in comic book movies or tv shows?

A few examples really stand out to me recently:

Jimmy Olsen - Batman v. Superman: This one just boggled my mind. I'm not sure if he's anyone's favorite character but the guy has had a long and colorful history and at the very least has been a near constant companion to Superman. In Batman v. Superman he's introduced, revealed as a CIA agent and killed in the span of like 5 minutes, and that's in the extended edition. I know Snyder explained it away as saying there was no room for him in their vision for the extended universe, but if his role had to be reduced to a cameo I'm fairly certain there were much better ways to do it.

Mercy Graves - Batman v. Superman: Far less egregious than the movie's treatment of Jimmy Olsen, if only because she has a far shorter and less stories history, was it's use of Mercy. Created for the Superman animated series, Mercy never took off the way Harley Quinn did but she was still a welcome sight beside Lex throughout the show, not unlike Wesley was to Fisk in the first season of Daredevil. Instead the movie just blows her up halfway through.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
In the Supergirl series.....Jimmy is African-American.

Where in the DC universe did this occur?
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Deadpoolica private msg quote post Address this user
Venom in Spiderman 3
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks

Not having seen the series yet, I can't comment but I don't think that change is necessarily a bad one. I loved Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk and Vondie Curtis-Hall as Ben Urich.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadpoolica
Venom in Spiderman 3
Oh man, definitely
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
X-Men movies:
Storm
Rogue
Sabertooth
etc, etc... basically everyone except Wolverine, Professor X, and Magneto
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
X-Men movies:
Storm
Rogue
Sabertooth
etc, etc... basically everyone except Wolverine, Professor X, and Magneto

You took mine. I wasn't into comics much when the first X-men came out, but even then I was flabbergasted at how they handled Sabertooth.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
Punisher-punisher war zone
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Superworld private msg quote post Address this user
The Mandarin in Iron Man 3. Tinhead's greatest villain in the comics, reduced to a frontman.

Also, don't mind that Jimmy Olsen is black in the Supergirl series. Just don't like the musclebound 'James' Olsen, and the fact that he has no resemblance whatsoever to the long running character in the comics.
Post 8 IP   flag post
@Superworld I'm definitely a little conflicted about Mandarin in IM3. The public face that was presented early in the movie I thought was a great way to interpret the character and I'm bummed that THAT character isn't actually the imposing villain he should be. At the same time, I also loved the comedic alter-ego he ended up being.

Fortunately, the Hail to the King short revealed that there is a "true" Mandarin out there in the MCU but whether Marvel will ever return to that and if he'll be as good as Ben Kingsley's original character is yet to be seen
Post 9 IP   flag post
Good point.
I did get a chuckle at the cleverness of Kingsley as front man, but did they have to use Iron Man's best villain for that?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
If we going X-Men movies it has to me my favorite muntant Jubilee. Was so happy when i heard a bigger oart in Apocalypse but wasn not even in the movie more that 10 minutes. What a waste maybe she can be in Logan but that like asking for Omega Red in the movie lol
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector NeganKilledMe private msg quote post Address this user
Andrea in The Walking Dead.
Post 12 IP   flag post
Collector Revelations private msg quote post Address this user
Bane in both of his versions. I don't understand how anyone who's read dark Knight falls can see him as a henchman.

Robin in Nolan's batman never put on a costume. Also, I don't understand his back story.
Post 13 IP   flag post
@Revelations Also, his name was "Robin" and not Dick Grayson lol

And I hate to jump on the X-Men series as everyone seems to be doing that well enough without me but...Lady Deathstrike
Post 14 IP   flag post
Collector Themaxx35 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations
Bane in both of his versions. I don't understand how anyone who's read dark Knight falls can see him as a henchman.

Robin in Nolan's batman never put on a costume. Also, I don't understand his back story.

Amen brother. I don't know why the mask in the Nolan version couldn't have provided a gas form of a venom-like substance for Bane. It would have been a simple addition and good nod to the source material.
I was so disappointed to see him turned into some lovesick puppy at the end instead of the mastermind he's meant to be.
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Ebandy private msg quote post Address this user
Crossbones
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebandy
Crossbones
Oh man, this reminds me, not so much a missed opportunity but a case of keeping a character out of the storyline they played a key role in originally.

Bullseye and Elektra's death in season 2. The whole Ninja half of season 2 was kind of a drag and they top it off by changing one of the key moments in Daredevil's history to substitute one of Daredevil's most memorable villains for one of the show's most boring.

I wondered why they did this and the only answer I can really come up with is that they might be planning to kill Karen Page off ala Guardian Devil and it might seem a bit much to have Bullseye kill two of Matt's girlfriends so close together. It's no big deal in the comics when the two events are 17 years apart but on the show they'd be one, maybe 2 or 3 years apart.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
As has been mentioned, Mandarin and Sabretooth (or is it Sabertooth?) could have been much more used. Wonder Woman, I'm assuming, will be better used in the future.

I would like to see a Krypto in a future movie.

On the flip side of the coin.

The overuse of Peggy Carter, Pepper Potts, Phil Coulson, and Sam and Mikaela in Transformers.
Post 18 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Am I the only person that got the impression that Ben Kingsley really was the Mandarin and the whole I'm just a washed up actor playing the Mandarin for this other bad dude was actually a super secret double ruse?
Post 19 IP   flag post
Ha Ha! We can only hope so.
Post 20 IP   flag post
@DarthLego @Superworld If the "Hail to the King" short is canonical, then that's not the case but then there's an unseen "true" Mandarin in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Though I really hope that if we ever see the real Mandarin that he's still played by Kingsley
Post 21 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Pigeon Pete in Ninja Turtles cartoon! Don't judge me.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Collector FrankCastle129 private msg quote post Address this user
@kaptainmyke
Ice cream kitty too! Total waste of Kevin Eastman's meows
Post 23 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
Ooh I got one. Every character used in the GI Joe movies!
Post 24 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Galactus was just about as wrong as can be.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

Not having seen the series yet, I can't comment but I don't think that change is necessarily a bad one. I loved Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk and Vondie Curtis-Hall as Ben Urich.

Oh, I sort of like the new diversity - changes it u a bit. Now as for the "muscle bound".....I'd also add, tall, "James Olsen", well....they could have done better. Although a minor character, I think you will see more of him, since Supes is now a new role they just introduced.

Looking forward to seeing "Metallo" as a villain.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Quote:

Remember all the times Perry White screamed at a bumbling Jimmy Olsen in the comics or tv series?

Apparently this tv show doesn't want anyone to.
Post 27 IP   flag post
600803 27 27
This topic is archived. Start new topic?