Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Modern AgeComics Silver AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

Let's Talk Luke Cage (Potential Spoilers)1303

COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Hello!

Let's talk about Netflix's Luke Cage series. I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet - I am on episode 5 - but wanted to hear your opinions and thoughts on the series.

Who has finished it already?
How does it compare to the other Marvel Netflix shows?
How well does it fit in to the overall Netflix-verse and lead up to The Defenders?
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I'm on episode 7 and loving it! I'm enjoying it much more than what I have seen of Daredevil so far (still have not gotten through season 1 due to boredom). I also think it's one of the best portrayals of a black superhero I've seen. They keep it real without getting too cliche. The soundtrack is another bright spot for me since I was a fan of hip hop in the 90's. I'll probably finish it off in a binge this coming weekend.

The funny thing is that I wrote Luke Cage off as a kid because I thought he was probably just a token character; a black superhero just so that Marvel could say they had one. Therefore, I never bothered to even read it. Now that I have a Marvel Unlimited account though, I may give it a try to see if I missed out or not.
Post 2 IP   flag post
CBCS Pressing SteveRicketts private msg quote post Address this user
TruckJohnson, please don't bring private conversations into unrelated threads that are off topic. Thanks.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
I'm on episode 7 and loving it! I'm enjoying it much more than what I have seen of Daredevil so far (still have not gotten through season 1 due to boredom). I also think it's one of the best portrayals of a black superhero I've seen. They keep it real without getting too cliche. The soundtrack is another bright spot for me since I was a fan of hip hop in the 90's. I'll probably finish it off in a binge this coming weekend.

The funny thing is that I wrote Luke Cage off as a kid because I thought he was probably just a token character; a black superhero just so that Marvel could say they had one. Therefore, I never bothered to even read it. Now that I have a Marvel Unlimited account though, I may give it a try to see if I missed out or not.

It got off to a little bit of a slow start (so did Jessica Jones, I guess that's a product of character intros and world building) but definitely picks up around episode 4 or so. I absolutely agree, the soundtrack is amazing, down to the D-Nice cameo. I also really like the pull throughs like Claire and the references to the movies and other shows
Post 4 IP   flag post
oh! and I love Misty Knight, she is a great interpretation of the character. I really like Simone Missick in the role.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Wacker23 private msg quote post Address this user
I just finished watching Daredevil. Really good show. I hope Luke Cage is as good too.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Misty Knight

Mmmm... episode 1
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
Quote:
Misty Knight

Mmmm... episode 1

lol yes indeed!
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Hello!

Let's talk about Netflix's Luke Cage series. I haven't gotten through the whole thing yet - I am on episode 5 - but wanted to hear your opinions and thoughts on the series.

Who has finished it already?
How does it compare to the other Marvel Netflix shows?
How well does it fit in to the overall Netflix-verse and lead up to The Defenders?

I have finished it, and will not get to much into details.
I think it compares well with the other shows for sure. I really liked most of the characters, and how well they worked together. Also, the soundtrack was great.

Does it lead up to Defenders... Maybe... I really wish Jessica Jones had a second season. I am not really sure if she will or not before defenders, but I have seen nothing for it.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@Mathyus_42 Jessica Jones will indeed have a second season but it is scheduled for after the Defenders debut. Defenders in 2017 and JJ in 2018 is the current projection.

So far, the characters for the Defenders are:
-Jessica Jones
-Luke Cage
-Daredevil
-Foggy
-Stick
-Claire Temple
-The Punisher
-Danny Rand
-Misty Knight
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector Muggyman84 private msg quote post Address this user
Just finished it. Amazing show it has its slow parts but man the characters were so complex it made everything seem very real. The music was also a high point as many said. Misty and cottonmouth really rounded out the supporting cast i actually could have done with out luke at all in some episodes. i don't know if that speaks good for them or bad for luke but overall great show.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Rafel private msg quote post Address this user
I don't have NETFLIX can I still watch LUKE CAGE on COMCAST?
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muggyman84
Just finished it. Amazing show it has its slow parts but man the characters were so complex it made everything seem very real. The music was also a high point as many said. Misty and cottonmouth really rounded out the supporting cast i actually could have done with out luke at all in some episodes. i don't know if that speaks good for them or bad for luke but overall great show.

I have to agree, this and most of the Netflix series so far, have been really character driven at least for the first season. It makes it slow at times but we get to dive deep in to the characters which I like.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafel
I don't have NETFLIX can I still watch LUKE CAGE on COMCAST?

Unfortunately it is not on comcast
Post 14 IP   flag post
https://www.wired.com/2016/10/5-comics-read-now-youre-done-watching-luke-cage/

From the article, some books to read:
-Luke Cage, Hero For Hire #1-16
-Power Man and Iron Fist #56-75
-New Avengers Vol. 1 #1-62
-Luke Cage Noir #1-4
-Thunderbolts #144-168

What would you add to the list of required Luke Cage reading?
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@Mathyus_42 Jessica Jones will indeed have a second season but it is scheduled for after the Defenders debut. Defenders in 2017 and JJ in 2018 is the current projection.

So far, the characters for the Defenders are:
-Jessica Jones
-Luke Cage
-Daredevil
-Foggy
-Stick
-Claire Temple
-The Punisher
-Danny Rand
-Misty Knight

I am just glad that Iron Fist looks to be coming before Defenders. That could give a better lead into it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yes! It'll be a good time coming in March and just a couple weeks after we get Wolverine 3 in theaters
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I finished it yesterday. Overall I liked it. Lots of character building writing and I like how Mike Colter seemed to grew into the character more and more.

However I really felt like the main villain was really weak as a character and immpretty sure that fight scene in the last episode was ripped straight from Rocky 5
Post 18 IP   flag post
601244 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?