Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Bronze AgeComics Silver Age

Coverless Comics130

COLLECTOR dielinfinite private msg quote post Address this user
So, I wanted to open up the floor for discussing coverless comics. As a young hobbyist who can't really afford to layout the money to collect important keys in most grades, I've recently warmed up to the idea of collecting books in lower grades or even *gasp* coverless!

I only really have 2 of these books of note, Daredevil #1 and Incredible Hulk #181, the first appearances of two of my favorite characters. I was able to get these at a price I felt comfortable paying and since I really only collect for myself with no intention of reselling, I like having these pieces of history, whatever their condition may be. In a strange way, I kind of like the character added by the extra wear and tear these books have received and I like wondering what might've happened to them.

That said, if I get the opportunity to get these books complete and higher grades in the future, I certainly will take it but for now, I'm happy with these and I'm always on the lookout for more, slabbed or not.

I'd love to hear others' thoughts on coverless books, maybe you have some to show off, and if you know where one may find more silver and bronze age low-grade/coverless keys, I'd love to hear them!

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Comicbookzach private msg quote post Address this user
That's super cool, i don't mind much of grade since I collect for myself as well. I have some low grade comics, some even being my favorite. no cover-less yet, but I definitely wouldn't pass on one if the deal was right. My ASM #20 even has a huge corner cut off of it.

Post 2 IP   flag post
Those are some awesome books! Getting a single-digit ASM book is currently on my bucket list. Earliest I have right now is ASM #31, which is a very awesome book, don't get me wrong.

I also have an ASM 122 with a detached cover that I need to send in.

Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
How huge of a knock is a detached cover?

Say the book is a 5 or 6 otherwise but the cover is detached?
Post 4 IP   flag post
I think I'll have to defer to someone more familiar with grading to give you a more accurate answer but looking at the grading scale used by MyComicShop, a completely detached cover isn't allowed above a 3.0 or a Good condition. I'm also assuming this is for a cover that is detached, not completely missing like in a couple of my books above.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector BronzeAgeBaby private msg quote post Address this user
Yes, just detached.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite
Those are some awesome books! Getting a single-digit ASM book is currently on my bucket list. Earliest I have right now is ASM #31, which is a very awesome book, don't get me wrong.

Those are some sweet ASM books! I want to get my #39 graded too
Post 7 IP   flag post
I have a 7.5 white pages ASM #100 too
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Stelbert_Stylton private msg quote post Address this user
Why would you slab a coverless book?
Post 9 IP   flag post
Collector Neoheroka private msg quote post Address this user
Incredible Hulk #4 (1962)

Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelbert_Stylton
Why would you slab a coverless book?

I'd imagine there's a myriad of reasons to do it. Heck, CGC recently added a service to slab individual pages.

I'd say my own reasons are that my opinion of what a slab-worthy book is doesn't end at whether it has a cover or not. Additionally, given how coverless books often have more damage in addition to the missing cover, I'd say having it certified is more valuable because it's additional defects are catalogued in writing by a third party. Also, coverless books, especially significant keys, can still be fairly valuable and aside from getting the grade, one would want to help preserve the book.

Sure an easy response to a lot of these could be "put it in a mylar with a full-back" and while true, a large portion of comic collectors might suggest that route instead of slabbing ANY book. So I guess the reason ultimately boils down to because I love the book in question and want to get it slabbed, and that's not even getting into witnessed signatures and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neoheroka
Incredible Hulk #4 (1962)

That's an awesome looking book! Missing cover aside, it seems to be in excellent consition. Congrats!
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comicbookzach
Quote:
Originally Posted by dielinfinite

Those are some sweet ASM books! I want to get my #39 graded too

Thank you! ASM 39 has one of those covers that has always stuck with me so I was happy when I was able to snag a copy for myself.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597876 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?