CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

I vote to abolish grades 9.2, 9.4, 9.6, 9.81293

Collector Wacker23 private msg quote post Address this user
If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Post 26 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Of course my thread was mostly tongue in cheek, but anything that starts a good discussion is worth it. It's fun to add a little excitement to a forum whose main topic is the condition of pieces of paper.
Post 27 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
All just passing time, and sharing the hobby.

But telling the difference between a 9.9 and a 9.6 is relatively easy. Telling the difference between a 9.8 and a 9.9 is a lot tougher. At least in my experience.

Like the label says. It is opinion and subjective.

It is not science, or written in stone. A Mint book today, nothing like a mint book of yesteryear. And it will change again in the future. I am sure of that. Heck, if I remember correctly. Overstreet never went past NM in their guide.

But like I said. All in enjoying a discussion about the hobby. There are no absolute right or wrong answers when it comes to close grades. I remember an Action Comics #1 that was clearly a .5, or at best a 1.0,that was given a 2.5 by CGC. Even though the grading standards have not been changed since then (as far as we know). Borock later said it was a mistake, or he regretted it, or something like that (while at CGC).

Big book probably was a factor, I think. Which is not supposed to figure into the equation. But what else could it have been.
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveRicketts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWatson
On the other hand, 9.9s and 10s are, in my opinion, made up grades. In some instances, and with certain grading companies, I think they are given out based on the submitter's submission tier and their ability to kiss ass.

No surprise there.

Steve Ricketts is absolutely right.

CBCS and CGC do not dole out 9.9's and 10's to those who "kiss ass".Or for any other reason than that the book in question merits the assigned grade of 9.9 or 10.

Both grading companies safegaurd the 9.9/10 grades.It is in CGC's and CBCS's best interest to do so, not the other way around.If CGC/CBCS were the slightest bit loose in "doling out" 9.9 or 10's, they would quickly lose market confidence.

PGX...not so much.

That is why PGX 9.9 and 10 books aren't worth a damn in the open market.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Collector manwithoutfear private msg quote post Address this user
I might be able to discern what the grading companies think 9.4-9.8 is, but honestly there is not much difference.

I saw a post where someone said 9.8 prices were taking a hit recently. I think that would be a good thing. The prices they commanded were a bit silly honestly.

9 or above is great in any age.
Post 30 IP   flag post

Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by manwithoutfear
I might be able to discern what the grading companies think 9.4-9.8 is, but honestly there is not much difference.

I saw a post where someone said 9.8 prices were taking a hit recently. I think that would be a good thing. The prices they commanded were a bit silly honestly.

9 or above is great in any age.

I agree. A minor, hard to spot spine tick should not half the value of something. Either the 9.8 value is inflated or the 9.6 value should not be that far off.

I'm slowly becoming more accepting of my collection not being all 9.8, but I do upgrade copies when I can if reasonable.
Post 31 IP   flag post
Why just the women? I like bears. Gaard private msg quote post Address this user
Reading this thread got me thinking...

I'm pretty sure when I was a kid back in the '70s there were no numbers for grades. So, when was the number system established? and why? Did it have to do with $$?
Post 32 IP   flag post
Collector Jerkfro private msg quote post Address this user
Let us go one step further and abolish all grading companies
Post 33 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaard
Reading this thread got me thinking...

I'm pretty sure when I was a kid back in the '70s there were no numbers for grades. So, when was the number system established? and why? Did it have to do with $$?

Giving something a numerical value makes it easier to quantify. This, in turn, makes it easier to assign value and transform something into a commodity. As a result, one can assign value along 27 different price points instead of the ten or so grades on the traditional scale. So, yes, it has to do with money.
Post 34 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR conditionfreak private msg quote post Address this user
Always, always, always, follow the money. Religion, politics, legal system, collectors, love, you name it.
Post 35 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by conditionfreak
Close, but no cigar.

For instance. how do you differentiate between a 7.5 and an 8.5? Opinion? If it is raining that day? Six stress marks versus four stress marks on the spine? Age of the book?

"VERY FINE / NEARMINT 9.0 to 7.5

9.0 - VERY FINE / NEARMINT+

8.5 - VERY FINE+

8.0 - VERY FINE

7.5 - VERY FINE-

A VERY FINE comic book appears to have been read a few times and has been handled with care. These grades allow for some more defects than higher grades. Overall an above average copy and still very collectible.
•Some of the above defects along with a fold or crease in the cover that breaks color.
•Some stress marks on spine.
•A few small chips on the cover.
•The cover has some slight surface wear but still has much of its original gloss and there is nothing major wrong with it.
•Sun shadows, dust shadows and tanning can be darker and have more of a visual impact than those in higher grades."
Post 36 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
The Overstreet Grading Book shows an accumilation of flaws that a particular grade could have. I believe it is shown as a graph or chart in the book which is not with me currently. I think the grading scale should be left as is. For me, I find the books around fine to very fine the hardest to grade accurately.
Post 37 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JWKyle private msg quote post Address this user
It could have worked out a little different

http://comicgrader.com/#newsflash
Post 38 IP   flag post
597873 38 13
This topic is archived. Start new topic?