Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern AgeMovies TelevisionPop Culture

CITED: Reborn Wonder Woman is gay.1292

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/09/30/writer-reborn-wonder-woman-character-is-gay.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche Johnson, Fox News
"Comic books [going] further left-wing has become a recurring headline. Comics from The Archies to Wonder Woman are pushing liberal ideas of flexible gender and sexuality," he said. "This is just one more area that is no longer entertainment and has become propaganda."

I am sipping on my coffee this morning and I read this article telling me Wonder Woman is now gay.

In my opinion, the LGBT community should really stop pushing their agenda in hollywood and in literature. What happened to "never discuss religion, politics or sexual preference"? Somethings should be left private. I am seeing this huge trend of it being in writing on tv shows, movies, comics, books, everywhere I look. Even the Flash's boss is gay on the new tv show. It's a little much.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector TruckJohnson private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2016/09/30/writer-reborn-wonder-woman-character-is-gay.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanche Johnson, Fox News
"Comic books [going] further left-wing has become a recurring headline. Comics from The Archies to Wonder Woman are pushing liberal ideas of flexible gender and sexuality," he said. "This is just one more area that is no longer entertainment and has become propaganda."

I am sipping on my coffee this morning and I read this article telling me Wonder Woman is now gay.

In my opinion, the LGBT community should really stop pushing their agenda in hollywood and in literature. What happened to "never discuss religion, politics or sexual preference"? Somethings should be left private. I am seeing this huge trend of it being in writing on tv shows, movies, comics, books, everywhere I look. Even the Flash's boss is gay on the new tv show. It's a little much.

What are your afraid of -- that reading about a gay person (fake or real) is going to make you gay? LMAO. There are gay people in the world. Always have been -- always will be. Get over it, and get over yourself!
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'm sorry, but, what is there to get over with myself? I started a mature conversation about underlying (and quite unnecessary) writing points and dialogue that have nothing to do with plots or storylines. Also, it indoctrinates young minds as well.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I see nothing mature about COMPLAINING about a fake character being gay, and commingling it with your REAL, pathetic, and unjustified fear of something that is different from you -- like homosexuals. By the way, how come only the things you DON'T agree with "indoctrinates" young minds. Did it ever occur you that YOUR bias and YOUR bigotry toward homosexuals indoctrinates young minds... with HATE?
Post 4 IP   flag post
Woah, easy there big tex. You seem reallllly passionate about this subject. I have not once given my opinion on the subject of being gay. I only stated my opinion is that the subject should be left out of writing. Notice that? You like to use all capital words and use the words such as "hate" and "bigotry". Anything and everything indoctrinates children. Indoctrinate doesn't have to be a derogatory word. This is a mature conversation. Move along.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
*popcorn ready*
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yes, I'm VERY passionate about those that spread and perpetuate hate. Children are not born racist, or biased. They are taught that stuff -- by people like YOU. YOU pass your hate along from generation to generation like a family heirloom. That's why we can't get rid of it. It's people like you that are what's wrong with the world. You and your ilk are the ones indoctrinating our children with YOUR hate. And I'm not going to remain silent when I see it. You were VERY clear about your feelings. Your problem is that you didn't think anyone would challenge you on it. Wrong-o Keebler!!! So don't wuss-out now and try to back track. Because I'm not "moving along" anywhere.
Post 7 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR JLS_Comics private msg quote post Address this user
Rucka quotes (and someone I really don't think is pushing a "gay agenda";

“I think it’s more complicated though. This is inherently the problem with Diana: we’ve had a long history of people — for a variety of reasons, including sometimes pure titillation, which I think is the worst reason — say, ‘Ooo. Look. It’s the Amazons. They’re gay!'”

“It’s supposed to be paradise. You’re supposed to be able to live happily. You’re supposed to be able — in a context where one can live happily, and part of what an individual needs for that happiness is to have a partner — to have a fulfilling, romantic and sexual relationship. And the only options are women…But an Amazon doesn’t look at another Amazon and say, ‘You’re gay.’ They don’t. The concept doesn’t exist.”

"It’s really up to the reader to take that away. It doesn’t matter if I say, ‘Yes, she’s queer.’ Or ‘No, she’s not queer.’ It matters what you get out of the book. Can you find it? Is it there? Is it on the page in action or in deed? Then, there’s your answer.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
To play devil's advocate I propose this conundrum:

In this modern world of "tolerance", how can "intolerance" not be tolerated?

If "intolerance" is not to be tolerated, that means that some opinions are right and others are wrong. However, this also means that the "tolerant" opinion could be the wrong one and the "intolerant" opinion could be the right one. Therefore, if you are truly "tolerant" you have to be tolerant of opinions you don't agree with.

Live and let live and don't try to force your opinions on others. However, the problem is that it is impossible to do so. Those who have power force their will on those who don't. The only thing that changes is who is in power.

As for Wonder Woman being gay it makes perfect sense, and I don't think it's a political statement. Now if they made Batman gay we'd have a problem.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Why would Batman being gay be a problem?
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
1970s "Diana" didn't seem to be gay, but then again, much of this lifestyle was still in secret.

Maybe she could have been bi-sexual at my best guess, because she DID live on an island with all women....so maybe, just maybe, this is the best we can actually claim.

;o)
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkga
*popcorn ready*
T.O!! Get ya popcorn
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruckJohnson

LOL

Adult man running around in a costume with a young companion....who he lives with......

Suspect.....*winks*.....
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:

LOL

Adult man running around in a costume with a young companion....who he lives with......

Suspect.....*winks*.....
It's always been suspect.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZosoRocks
Quote:

LOL

Suspect.....*winks*.....

If anything, he's always been suspected of being gay. (not that there's anything wrong with that.)#Seinfeld.
Post 15 IP   flag post
yep...but knowing the background of Batman....I doubt it highly.

:o)
Post 16 IP   flag post
@TruckJohnson I am sorry if I have offended you. The times have definitely changed. In my defense, I never even knew about homosexuality until I was a sophomore in high school. I was the awkward kid who rose his hand in gym class asking the gym teacher how do two gay men interact with one another? My fellow friends and I were whispering and I lost the bet to raise my hand. The entire gym roared with laughter after I asked the question. It was an experience I'll never forget but we all wanted to know the answer. This was 1995. I did not come here to judge anyone I promise and I'm not here to offend anybody. I accept all beliefs and opinions even the ones I don't agree with. We all are equal. I am not backpedaling either. I still do not think it should be a part of prose or to move along a plot.
Post 17 IP   flag post
It's funny (interesting funny not haha funny), Seduction of the Innocent came out in the mid-50's which is what really put the question to the whole Batman/Robin thing ... so this is all really nothing new
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
@TruckJohnson I am sorry if I have offended you. The times have definitely changed. In my defense, I never even knew about homosexuality until I was a sophomore in high school. I was the awkward kid who rose his hand in gym class asking the gym teacher how do two gay men interact with one another? My fellow friends and I were whispering and I lost the bet to raise my hand. The entire gym roared with laughter after I asked the question. It was an experience I'll never forget but we all wanted to know the answer. This was 1995. I did not come here to judge anyone I promise and I'm not here to offend anybody. I accept all beliefs and opinions even the ones I don't agree with. We all are equal. I am not backpedaling either. I still do not think it should be a part of prose or to move along a plot.

So should they show no relationships?

In other news
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
I still do not think it should be a part of prose or to move along a plot.

I think you're saying here that you don't like what's come to be called "Check box diversity". I agree with this. I am all for changes but I like them to be organic and make sense to the character and the plot
Post 20 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

I think you're saying here that you don't like what's come to be called "Check box diversity". I agree with this. I am all for changes but I like them to be organic and make sense to the character and the plot

That's a convenient excuse to justify your bias and hate toward others. Nevertheless... You may want to familiarize yourself with Wonder Woman's background. If you buy into stereotypes, it kinda makes sense that she would be gay.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS_Comics
Quote:

That's a convenient excuse to justify your bias and hate toward others. Nevertheless... You may want to familiarize yourself with Wonder Woman's background. If you buy into stereotypes, it kinda makes sense that she would be gay.

lol are you talking to me when you say that
Post 22 IP   flag post
But why do you feel the continued use of the word hate and bigotry? I don't think anybody in this thread hates anybody or any one particular type of person in general.
Post 23 IP   flag post
I'm talking to ANYONE who believes there is such a thing as "check box diversity." That tells me you are fine with the staus quo. Which is unacceptable.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
But why do you feel the continued use of the word hate and bigotry? I don't think anybody in this thread hates anybody or any one particular type of person in general.

Because both sides of most arguments use hyperbole and attempt to demonize the other side.
Post 25 IP   flag post
Quote:
I'm talking to ANYONE who believes there is such a thing as "check box diversity."

Watch corporate training videos for an example of checkbox diversity. I mean, I have worked for a company where watching the corporate level training videos, it is very obvious that they created them with a checklist of groups that they had to get an example of each in to every video.

EDIT: To be clear, I have never heard the term "checkbox diversity" but that is the way that I would interpret it. And it definitely is a thing. I mean, it doesn't bother me that it exists, but it definitely exists.
Post 26 IP   flag post
If you understand what it is, you won't be so quick to accuse people of hatred and bigotry.

On Checkbox Diversity:
http://scholarship.law.stjohns.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1737&context=jcred
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieb
Quote:
I'm talking to ANYONE who believes there is such a thing as "check box diversity."

Watch corporate training videos for an example of checkbox diversity. I mean, I have worked for a company where watching the corporate level training videos, it is very obvious that they created them with a checklist of groups that they had to get an example of each in to every video.

EDIT: To be clear, I have never heard the term "checkbox diversity" but that is the way that I would interpret it. And it definitely is a thing. I mean, it doesn't bother me that it exists, but it definitely exists.

And what is wrong with that? What is wrong with Black people, or Asian people, or Hispanics seeing THEMSELVES in media the way white people have ALWAYS been able to see themselves in media? Why should my TV screen, movie screen, and all the pages of ALL the books and magazines I read be filled ONLY with images of white people? And why would you have a problem with OTHERS wanting to see themselves and be treated as part of the fabric of this country? Why would you NOT want that to change to the point where it included the other kinds of people that live on this planet?
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector TyrantK private msg quote post Address this user
I know there's a serious conversation going on but I still can't get over the idea of Batman being gay. That would make sooooo much sense. haha
Post 29 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieb
Quote:

And what is wrong with that? What is wrong with Black people, or Asian people, or Hispanics seeing THEMSELVES in media the way white people have ALWAYS been able to see them selve in media? Why should my TV screen, movie screen, and all the pages of ALL the books and magazines I read be filled ONLY with images of white people? And why would you have a problem with that and NOT want it to change to the point where it included the other kinds of people that live on this planet?

Nobody here (sorry to speak for everyone) disagrees with the notion of everyone being represented in media and entertainment. In fact that would be amazing if everyone has some form or representation or someone with whom they could identify. But the question here lies in the superficiality of that representation and just how meaningful it is and the intent of the Execs, corporation or individual putting it out. If their motives are truly superficial then just how progressive is it?
Post 30 IP   flag post
600891 52 30
Thread locked. No more posts permitted. Return home.