Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedSignaturesSigning Opportunities

Con with no witness?1290

Collector Vexsus private msg quote post Address this user
In late October a small con near me (Grand Rapids Comic Con) is having Tony Isabella and Arvell Jones as guests. I have a very high grade copy of Marvel Premiere 21 (I think it has a very good chance at 9.6 or 9.8)I would like to get signed by them. Do you think its best to take this opportunity to get it signed despite no CBCS, or Cgc for that matter, present and pay for the sig verification? (would I be paying the fee for each sig?) Or do you think a book this high grade shouldn't be signed, despite it being Misty Knight two co creators? Would it be a detriment to the book?

If I keep the book, I'd prefer it signed, but if I decide to sell it do you think haveing those two sigs would hurt the value? It'd hard for me to decide if I want to keep the book if it does indeed come back a 9.8 because there is good chance I'd like to use the money that would bring on something else.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector ZosoRocks private msg quote post Address this user
You can always go Qualified thru CGC...but CBCS does have an authentication service for unwitnessed sigs, That may help you out when it comes time to grading.
Post 2 IP   flag post
I'm aware of their service. I did asked in my post if I would be paying the authentication fee for each sig or if it is flat fee per book no matter how many sigs are on it. I don't think I want to go qualified because I know that will hurt the value if I do choose to sell.
Post 3 IP   flag post
Joined The Club Steverogers11 private msg quote post Address this user
I believe few for each sig
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Arvell goes to a lot of cons. Try sending Tony Isabella an email asking if he will be at Motor City Comic Con.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector Jeremy_K private msg quote post Address this user
Arvell was just in Cincinnati too. You may find them both there since Tony is from OH. We should all send in requests to our favorite cons to have CBCS show up.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Collector Mathyus_42 private msg quote post Address this user
If you really want the book signed and graded, then do it. Get the book signed and submit it in the VSP with CBCS. It would be $25 for the first signature, and $15 for each additional. Then of course the grading fees and shipping on top of that. It is a great service they have. I used it for a Stan Lee book I got signed several years ago. It might be a bit of a drive, but Arvell will be at the Monroe Comic-Con in Monroe, MI this Saturday.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector AznBane private msg quote post Address this user
So if this was for PC I would say go to the con and get your red label. But you brought up the question 'if I decide to sell it do you think haveing those two sigs would hurt the value?'

If the possibility of selling is on your mind go with a yellow label. period. Sorry to sound like a downer here but I have to play devils advocate here when it comes to the red label. From a sales standpoint I have yet to see significant evidence that the price gap between a red and yellow label is small. Part of that is because CBCS is a fairly young company and there simply is not enough data points on red label sales. One could also argue that over time the price gap will close but that's speculations and in my honest and personal opinion the yellow label will always dominate over the red label because at the end of the day we are dealing with collectors. When you look at the general mind set of collectors you have people that want the rare and perfect items. The things that are just a little more official than the next item.

If you choose to go the signature route, know this, you are catering to a specific market of people. If you want your book to be more liquid I would say do the blue label. There are more collectors that will buy a blue label book because you have people who buy the book because they are purist and just want the book, people who want to buy it and crack the slab, people who want to buy it so they have an idea of the grade before they crack it and get it signed themsevles, etc.

Just my two cents. Also throw up some scans of the book, maybe people on this board can help advise you on if your book really does have a shot at 9.8. It never hurts to get a second opinion.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Collector VaComicsGuy private msg quote post Address this user
I think you will get a variety of opinions on this. Personally, I'm not a big fan of signatures on books. I have some, but I obtained them all myself (with 1 exception) and on lower value books. If I was inclined to purchase a signed book, I would much rather a yellow label over a red. The more valuable the book is, the less I want anything done to it.
Like @AznBane said, a signed book caters to a sub set of collectors. But, there are probably enough collectors out there to want a high grade book signed or not.
Post 9 IP   flag post
@VaComicsGuy I completely agree with you on signature things. I need to be there getting the book signed in person because to me its about meeting the person. Also I only get stuff like skottie young covers signed cause it's clean and simple and it keeps the attention to the signature itself.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBane
So if this was for PC I would say go to the con and get your red label. But you brought up the question 'if I decide to sell it do you think haveing those two sigs would hurt the value?'

If the possibility of selling is on your mind go with a yellow label. period. Sorry to sound like a downer here but I have to play devils advocate here when it comes to the red label. From a sales standpoint I have yet to see significant evidence that the price gap between a red and yellow label is small. Part of that is because CBCS is a fairly young company and there simply is not enough data points on red label sales. One could also argue that over time the price gap will close but that's speculations and in my honest and personal opinion the yellow label will always dominate over the red label because at the end of the day we are dealing with collectors. When you look at the general mind set of collectors you have people that want the rare and perfect items. The things that are just a little more official than the next item.

If you choose to go the signature route, know this, you are catering to a specific market of people. If you want your book to be more liquid I would say do the blue label. There are more collectors that will buy a blue label book because you have people who buy the book because they are purist and just want the book, people who want to buy it and crack the slab, people who want to buy it so they have an idea of the grade before they crack it and get it signed themsevles, etc.

Just my two cents. Also throw up some scans of the book, maybe people on this board can help advise you on if your book really does have a shot at 9.8. It never hurts to get a second opinion.

You do bring up some good points Azn....

Try this one on for size....

I submitted a SW #1 to CGC.....it has H. Chaykin's signature on the book, because....for one, he is a difficult signature to acquire....at a Con, SS session, etc....and two, I wanted the book to be archived so it doesn't degrade for the 40 years it has been out.

The book IMO would grade to be about a 9.0....maybe a little higher....9.2?....anyhow....

I am expecting it to be Qualified, and "Name written on cover".

I'm fine with that....

Now for this signed book, will it sell for what a 9.0 blue label would achieve? I do know that it WOULD NOT achieve the SS yellow label pricing, but.....it is a resell-able book.

So to recap.....book had cost me some years ago, maybe $10.00 at the most, grading fee was $30.00. I have $40.00 into this book as of right now. I expect it will sell for over $250.00.

To me....with the Qualified label attached, and the book is signed, people WILL be interested it if it goes up for sale.

I do wish I was aware of SS witnessing back in the 90s....*sighs*.....I would have done this one differently.

Cheers
Post 11 IP   flag post
LOL....looking at eBAY....*sighs*....maybe I estimated a little bit higher than a realistic amount of $150.00 - 175.00.

*sighs*
Post 12 IP   flag post
I feel like such a negative person today x.x im sorry...

@ZosoRocks So for your scenario I actually do think a red label would have been better. But still not fetch a yellow label price and maybe just a little more than a blue label. The reason I think this is that, while difficult, it is still possible to get a yellow label with Chaykin. Also please correct me if I am wrong but the green label doesn't verify the signature, it only acknowledges writing on the cover then grades the book as if no writing is there. So from a consumer standpoint I still have no idea if that sig is real or not.

I think red labels are useful for people no longer in the convention scene and people who signed books before cgc had a yellow label. I'd imagine this would be people like S. Ditko and J. Kirby. Those are rare signatures and the red label is telling me it is real.

When it comes to resale I firmly believe yellow is the only way to go and red is good for those signatures where there is literally no other option and or impossible to get anything otherwise. Sorry again with all the negativity -.-
Post 13 IP   flag post
My general rule of thumb: If there is something more official out there, don't settle for anything less because the next guy won't.
Post 14 IP   flag post
Oh yes....I do agree....thus my last statement, of "doing it differently".

What is done is done.....no changing it now....and being a novice at the time, it was just exciting to see the artist.

All-in-all....it will probably stay in my collection until I acquire other early SW graded books, and then will probably do a group sell.

Thanks for the insight Azn....appreciate the time and response.
Post 15 IP   flag post
No problem and hey if its for your PC who cares what other people think. It's yours and you have the memories to associate with it.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Exactly. I have another copy I had picked up along the way, for reading and enjoyment if I ever want to re-read the book again. I think I paid even less for that copy....maybe found in a lot I bought years ago....I truly can't remember, but I think that copy is a 6.0+ maybe 7.0.....not sure.....

:o)

Now I will have to go and take a look this weekend.....thanks for the extra work!

hehehe
Post 17 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
Well this entire thread is discouraging for someone like me who submitted ALL of his signed comics to CBCS specifically for the red label vsp program. I DO plan on selling my red labels, too. Well, that really really blows if this is all the case. I might as well drop out of comic books altogether at this point.
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke
Well this entire thread is discouraging for someone like me who submitted ALL of his signed comics to CBCS specifically for the red label vsp program. I DO plan on selling my red labels, too. Well, that really really blows if this is all the case. I might as well drop out of comic books altogether at this point.

Take heart... I don't see anything wrong with red labels. There were plenty of people signing things before CGC or CBCS were even around. You think someone is going to turn down a Kirby signature because it's not yellow?
Post 19 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
In my case, I NEED the red label because of Stan Lee's janky signatures LOL
Post 20 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke like I said earlier, they are plenty of collectors out there that will want red labels. It's just not MY thing. I don't think any high grade +/or high value book will have any problems finding a buyer.
Post 21 IP   flag post
@kaptainmyke forget what I just said. You had it right earlier; get out of comics altogether. When you do, be sure to send me all of your books.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptainmyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaComicsGuy
@kaptainmyke forget what I just said. You had it right earlier; get out of comics altogether. When you do, be sure to send me all of your books.

If I may be so bold, I'll take the extra Valiants you have when you decide to bail from the industry.

Post 23 IP   flag post
@ZosoRocks actually I have a number of valiant books you might want
Post 24 IP   flag post
Hmmmm.....wholesale or retail? :o)

I do have many.....I'm trying to fill holes in the early series mainly greater than issue 10, but do have many, many.

I am also looking for the newer variants that are associated to some titles.

zosorocks at rocketmail dot com is a good email to talk if you care to.

Post 25 IP   flag post
Collector iamocelot private msg quote post Address this user
I'll be at Grand Rapids as a witness
Post 26 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamocelot

...and Vexsus will be there too!

YEAH!!!

Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamocelot

I assume this is humor and you have no official capacity with CBCS? :P

- Just noticed the line across the R, that was a hair on the scanner, not something on the book itself.

Here is a scan for those that wanted to see the book. Would appreciate opinions. Im still very divided on if I will want to sell for a more major Silver key, or get into Golden Age a bit more as I only have 2 golden books so far. Or if Ill want to keep this pretty pristine copy for myself knowing Ill never get as nice a copy for $5 again.
Post 28 IP   flag post
@Vexsus going to need a scan of the back too. But from the front I see a fleck or white chip around the inside of the F and the top right corner isn't super sharp. In my personal opinion that's a 9.6 already but I could be very wrong.
Post 29 IP   flag post
Nothing really notable on the back, any of the damage to the book is visible to the front. To me, it looks like the white flec in the yellow is a printing goof, I dont see any sign of abrasion.
Post 30 IP   flag post
596781 35 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?