Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

Getting hardcovers graded1243

Collector reggieb private msg quote post Address this user
So, from what I understand, there aren't any services that grade comic hardcovers, yet places like the Comics Price Guide list graded values for hardcover books. Can you get them graded, or would that just be graded as in an expert looks at it at point of sale and gives it a grade?
Post 1 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
I would imagine if it falls within the current size limits they'd grade it.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Collector Mr_adam_R private msg quote post Address this user
Id shoot customer service a call or email and ask, they've always been very helpful.
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I'd rather see magazine size then action figures before hardcovers
Post 4 IP   flag post
It they don't do magazine size, then they aren't going to do my Black Mirror Batman Noir any time soon. I wasn't actually looking to have it done, more curious how a pricing guide could even provide a "Graded" price if you can't get it graded, and therefore there can't possibly be a graded market.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Originally Posted by reggieb
It they don't do magazine size, then they aren't going to do my Black Mirror Batman Noir any time soon. I wasn't actually looking to have it done, more curious how a pricing guide could even provide a "Graded" price if you can't get it graded, and therefore there can't possibly be a graded market.

"Graded" doesn't specifically mean encapsulated by a 3rd party grader. Anyone can grade a book; some more accurately than others.
Post 6 IP   flag post
Yeah, that was my initial question, is it just a point of sale thing? Because I can get it graded, the point of encapsulation would be that it maintains that grade, because it's protected. Point of sale would be the only time that makes sense. Or if there is some service out there that does hardcovers like CBCS does comic books.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector Oxbladder private msg quote post Address this user
CPG lists graded price for everything because that is how the site formatting is and I am pretty sure they are not about to want to get too technical with their formatting due to time/difficulty. They also use an algorithm for graded books that is so far out of whack it's laughable.

When more trades and hard covers actually start garnering more aftermarket interest to a point where the majority will appreciate in value then you MAY see the third party companies offering grading for them.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
CPG lists graded price for everything because that is how the site formatting is and I am pretty sure they are not about to want to get too technical with their formatting due to time/difficulty. They also use an algorithm for graded books that is so far out of whack it's laughable.

When more trades and hard covers actually start garnering more aftermarket interest to a point where the majority will appreciate in value then you MAY see the third party companies offering grading for them.

To be fair, I suspect they're using a CMS pulling from a database. It wouldn't be particularly difficult or time consuming to handle hiding certain prices.

I have noticed that their graded values seem to be slightly off.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'm sure it isn't hard but CPG isn't known for doing much to upgrade their site or respond to consumer concerns or requests in a timely ... Or any manner. They know their graded comics algorithm is busted and have known it for three or four years now, for example. It took them over six months to get their forum back online for Petes sake.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxbladder
I'm sure it isn't hard but CPG isn't known for doing much to upgrade their site or respond to consumer concerns or requests in a timely ... Or any manner. They know their graded comics algorithm is busted and have known it for three or four years now, for example. It took them over six months to get their forum back online for Petes sake.

Did not know any of that. Is there a similar site that's more accurate? I like my ability to input my collection and "track" prices, but obviously it's useless if the prices are wrong.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Well, I think CPG does about as well as they can with prices. It is impossible to stay on top of hundreds and thousands of prices when you simply cannot track every sale out there. I just don't think you will find any guide as completely accurate. CPG is about the only one I know that offers both of what you want. I don't think it work very well (or at all) with mobile devices. So I have heard.

Doesn't ComicBase or whatever it is called how do both? I'm not sure about its mobility though.

I use CLZ because I only needed cataloging and if I want prices there are other sources that have more relevant values.
Post 12 IP   flag post
597919 12 12
This topic is archived. Start new topic?