Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Grading Help Needed

New help grading this New Mutants 981241

COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Just picked these up today in nyc while passing threw. Was wonder what you guys thought of the grade on the New Mutants 98. Im pretty new to all of this still. Also how much the lot might be worth as well. My main intrest is the New Mutants 98 just wanted to make sure i was getting a good deal.

Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Despain private msg quote post Address this user
2.5-3.0.
Post 2 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Despain
2.5-3.0.

Think it's that bad? I knew it was a rough copy thought it might been better than that
Post 3 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
5.0 imo
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
The New Mutants looks to me about 4.0
With that front cover crease on this raw book, it may be around the $75-$90 range (that's just quick estimate after a quick glance at completed eBay sales).

The other books you have, aside from the X-Force, are reprints, and are not 'valuable'.
Post 5 IP   flag post
Collector jmck965 private msg quote post Address this user
4.0 - 4.5
Post 6 IP   flag post
@BigRig You can also try this grading tool: Free Grading Tool
Post 7 IP   flag post
Collector jmck965 private msg quote post Address this user
The other books I've seen in my LCS $1 bins. The X-Men books are reprints.
Post 8 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SigS
With that front cover crease on this raw book, it may be around the $75-$90 range (that's just quick estimate after a quick glance at completed eBay sales).

The other books you have, aside from the X-Force, are reprints, and are not 'valuable'.

OK thanks guys not to bad I only paid 25 for the lot. I knew the xmen were 3rd print issues but it was a package deal.
Post 9 IP   flag post
I'll also add that you should look at "sold" listings on eBay and not "completed" listings. Completed listings don't necessarily mean it sold.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Quote:

Sorry for straying OT, but has anyone tried this grading tool prior to submitting books? If I were to sub books regularly, I certainly would compare the two. If the tool is actually accurate, it would be quite useful for people who "need" a particular number on their slabs.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRig
Quote:

OK thanks guys not to bad I only paid 25 for the lot. I knew the xmen were 3rd print issues but it was a package deal.

$25? Yeah, you did fine as long as it's all there. I'd pay $25 for those all day, if I were a flipper.
Post 12 IP   flag post
@MR_SigS Good question. I've not personally used the tool prior to submitting. But I'd say the tool is useful for at least a ballpark grade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

$25? Yeah, you did fine as long as it's all there. I'd pay $25 for those all day, if I were a flipper.

I planned to keep it but may sell it and get a higher grade I was hoping it was at least a 7 but I can see I'm way off there
Post 14 IP   flag post
Quote:

Thanks for the info I'll check it out
Post 15 IP   flag post
@BigRig Even though CBCS apparently doesn't use the Overstreet grading guideline, I find it EXTREMELY helpful in learning how to grade on the spot for times when purchasing and you're on your own (no mobile internet, like me).
Post 16 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmck965
4.0 - 4.5

I was giving it the Mycomicshop.com grade 😅 Yeah I guess my 2.5-3.0 was a bit too strict. 4.0-4.5 seems about right.
Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmck965
4.0 - 4.5

I was giving it the Mycomicshop.com grade 😅 Yeah I guess my 2.5-3.0 was a bit too strict. 4.0-4.5 seems about right.

Are their grades really that off iv thought of buying from there bur never the grades iv wanted at the price given.
Post 18 IP   flag post
@BigRig They seem to be pretty strict on the comics that have been given numerical grades by their staff. I've seen some comics graded by them at 6.0 that look more like 8.0. I guess that makes for happy buyers when they receive a comic that looks better than what they thought they were getting.
Post 19 IP   flag post
Quote:
@BigRig They seem to be pretty strict on the comics that have been given numerical grades by their staff. I've seen some comics graded by them at 6.0 that look more like 8.0. I guess that makes for happy buyers when they receive a comic that looks better than what they thought they were getting.

I'll keep that in mind I seem to have read this in another thread as well
Post 20 IP   flag post
Collector CopperAgeKids private msg quote post Address this user
Looks like it would likely grade out around a 4.0, at first glance....VG/FN raw copies will get you $200 buy it now's.

Although there looks to be a perforation on the BC (Punisher's upper left thigh/abdomen area)...and the spine ticks are pronounced to the point of actual tears near the upper quarter.

Without having the book in hand, it may even be as low as a 3.0/3.5.

In any event, it is a solid $150 raw book.
Post 21 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@BigRig You made a good purchase. You could easily double your money if you tried to sell it.
Post 22 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGreensnips
@BigRig You made a good purchase. You could easily double your money if you tried to sell it.

Yeah he originally priced me the New Mutants and the X-Force for 7 bucks then I showed intrest in the xmen which I knew were reprints but didn't know they were only worth a $1ish but then he didn't want to let it go with out it all togethe kind of shot my self in the foot there it sounds like was hoping they were at least worth 3-5 apiece or so
Post 23 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:

I planned to keep it but may sell it and get a higher grade I was hoping it was at least a 7 but I can see I'm way off there

I would also say it is VG/FN (5.0). Maybe a bit higher in person. It is getting downgraded, I think, because it is a fairly recent issue, which makes the flaws somewhat jarring. There are multiple creases along the spine that break color, some stress around the top staple, the cover looks a bit loose (?), and a few small color-breaking folds. But the colors are vibrant, there aren't any visible tears, only minor blunting on the corners, and the pages look white. The worst of the spine damage can be pressed out, I think, to make it present better. It's a good deal, at any rate.
Post 24 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:

I would also say it is VG/FN (5.0). Maybe a bit higher in person. It is getting downgraded, I think, because it is a fairly recent issue, which makes the flaws somewhat jarring. There are multiple creases along the spine that break color, some stress around the top staple, the cover looks a bit loose (?), and a few small color-breaking folds. But the colors are vibrant, there aren't any visible tears, only minor blunting on the corners, and the pages look white. The worst of the spine damage can be pressed out, I think, to make it present better. It's a good deal, at any rate.

As I'm new to this I'm not exactly sure how to press them any insight on that? As far as the pages go they are yellowing the cover isn't really loose I'd say
Post 25 IP   flag post
Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock Tedsaid private msg quote post Address this user
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedsaid
Quote:
Quote:

As I'm new to this I'm not exactly sure how to press them any insight on that? As far as the pages go they are yellowing the cover isn't really loose I'd say

The CBCS recommended company for pressing/cleaning is CFPComics. I've sent some in, but they haven't finished quite yet. (I am new to pressing too.) There are some others out there, but I don't have any experience with them. Some, such as Comics Inaflash or Hero Restoration, will pass along a discount (10%-20%) to submit to CBCS or CGC. There are high-end folks, too, but those are probably better suited for the really valuable books (minimum pressing cost: $50). Oh, yeah ... Heroes Haven has an in-house guy, too, but I forget the name of his company. [Okay, just looked it up ... it is Pete, from CPC Comics.]
Post 26 IP   flag post
@Tedsaid thanks for that info think this one is worth getting a press? I don't have a lot invested in it and it already has some flaws that pressing couldn't help
Post 27 IP   flag post
Quote:
@Tedsaid thanks for that info think this one is worth getting a press? I don't have a lot invested in it and it already has some flaws that pressing couldn't help

You know, I'm not sure. It looks like it doesn't quite lie flat, and the cover is a bit crooked. Pressing will help the former (as I understand it) and maybe the latter. Obviously the color breaks can't be fixed, but it looks like the spine stresses / creases are pretty severe, affecting the spine integrity. I think a pressing could help get some of that back.

But probably, it wouldn't increase in value much more than the cost of pressing. Depends on what you want to do with it, I guess. If it's an issue you love, I'd have it pressed and cleaned and encapsulated. If you just bought it at a low price to flip, then maybe encapsulation is good just to fix the grade, make it easier to sell. But you could probably just put it under a heavy book for 6 months then sell it on eBay with some nice photos. :-)
Post 28 IP   flag post
Collector Nightrob private msg quote post Address this user
$25 is a very good price for a New Mutants #98 in any grade! I'm sure a coverless one would sell for that price. I would say without looking at it in person 4.5 to 5.0 is about the grade. Honestly, you may just want to hold on to it for a while and save up for a higher certified grade. If you aren't looking for a super high end investment only grade, an 8.0 won't set you back too much and it will have great eye appeal.
Post 29 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
4.5. That spine has a lot of color breaks
Post 30 IP   flag post
600811 32 30
This topic is archived. Start new topic?