Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS GradedCBCS Signature VSPComics Silver AgeGrading Help NeededQuestions

How do you grade comics with loose pieces?1179

I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
I am sending in the Stan Lee signed ASM #1 First Printing. Both covers are completely detached and from one another. The back cover has a loose page but it's there with the book. Do they glue it (LOL) or just encapsulate the complete larger pieces but not the 3 inch loose piece from the back cover? Sorry this is a very expensive book... I need to know what to do with the loose pieces? And what CBCS plans to do with the loose pieces?

Thank you
Post 1 IP   flag post
Moderator Jesse_O private msg quote post Address this user
Just to clarify, the detached back cover is in two pieces?? One large, one small?
Post 2 IP   flag post
I bought a meat grinder on amazon for $60 and it's changed my life. kaptainmyke private msg quote post Address this user
No I mean the front cover is detached. The back cover is detached. Half and half. The back half, the back cover, has a 3 inch upper left corner piece that was barely hanging on by a thread but is not now.

edit: I reread your reply. LOL Yes, you have it right. The upper left corner.
Post 3 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR DarthLego private msg quote post Address this user
They will encapsulate it carefully as is and note the detached covers on the label. They won't do any type of reattaching as that would be considered restoration. As far as having a 3 inch corner that is detached, I'm not sure how they handle pieces like that, because it would be free floating in the slab if it's included, this is a new one on me. You should probably contact customer service and ask before sending it.
Post 4 IP   flag post
I'm gonna bump this because I'd like to find out the answer. Paging Dr. Ricketts, Dr. @SteveRicketts
Post 5 IP   flag post
I sent it along with the other Stan Lees this morning. *shrugs*
Post 6 IP   flag post

Post 7 IP   flag post

Post 8 IP   flag post
well it's true, i want to glue or tape it but that's the worst thing i could do to the book so i sent it in complete, wrote a bunch of notes all over the package, informing the graders what to expect when they open it. if they contact me and suggest i get it restored instead maybe we'll talk about that but I'd rather have it sent immeditely from there to restoration and back to cbcs honestly. does cbcs offer restoration and then grading afterwards? please tell me this is a thing. is this a thing? this is a realllllllllllllllllly expensive book.
Post 9 IP   flag post
CBCS doesn't offer any services outside of grading, and they won't ever, because it creates a conflict of interest in the impartiality of the grader. Which is why CGC has taken a lot of heat for having an in house presser.
Post 10 IP   flag post
I guess I just roll with the dice then
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
Lower than comics without loose pieces
Post 12 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection
Lower than comics without loose pieces

His question was about the actual encapsulation process, not the numerical grade.
Post 13 IP   flag post
Got my grade on the comic book. I did not receive the book yet, just read the graders notes on my cbcs profile:

Amazing Spider-Man #1
Marvel3 1963
Variant:
Pedigree:

Verified
Off-White

Signees:
SIGNED BY STAN LEE.
Front cover detached.

Notes:
signature verified by CSA
Front cover detached. back cover detached from bottom staple
3" piece missing top left corner back cover, 1/2" piece missing top right corner front cover, several small & tiny edge & corner pieces missing
few long creases to cover breaks color
Post 14 IP   flag post
You guys wanna see it?

Here it is!

For sale: 1963 AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 UNRESTORED CBCS 1.5 SIGNED STAN LEE
Post 15 IP   flag post
So the broken off piece was sent back instead of ecapsulated with the comic? Interesting.
Post 16 IP   flag post
Yup.
Post 17 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR BigRig private msg quote post Address this user
Rough but I'd still cherish owning it
Post 18 IP   flag post
Collector Resurrection private msg quote post Address this user
perfect candidate for restoration
Post 19 IP   flag post
What's interesting to me is the prices of ASM jacked up tremendously from last years guides to this year. So, that 1.5 grade last year was worth around $1500 but this year shot up to $3500. This book will continue to go up in value so the 1.5 grade doesn't bother me much. Intrinsically being unrestored and complete is evident.

When I bought the book, it was alleged as a 2.5 but when it changed hands the book literally was so fragile it disintegrated into a 1.5. It was probably even a 2.0 when I shipped it to CBCS. This book is like glass.

I do cherish it, believe me I do. But I also have a lot of acquisitions currently tying up a lot of my money (such as this one) so I am willing to sell it along with the other Stan Lee books.
Post 20 IP   flag post
597893 20 20
This topic is archived. Start new topic?