Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
CBCS Comics
Not a CBCS member yet? Join now »
Comics Modern Age

Going back to trades, so cashing out1165

Collector Oldbsturgeon private msg quote post Address this user
I just recently decided to not buy comics any longer, not because I don't like them, but because I shouldn't buy them.
I like stories but because of places like here, in my mind I can't even read the books I buy because they are now worthless as they are less than 9.8. They have to be stored away in a box so if they are graded they shouldn't be displayed due to fading, etc.
Last year I opted to buy the books of my favorite series again and then expanded that out to other related titles, but in reality I should have just gotten the trades of those stories and be happy with that.
I do have those trades now, can read them and not be scared of damaging the books, and I get to look at the covers too.
So if you see a raw batman 1 1:200 up on ebay right now, it's mine.
I feel relief now.
Post 1 IP   flag post
Collector Darkga private msg quote post Address this user
I know how you feel man, and it's a struggle many of us have. The conflict of preserving your collection versus enjoying the things you collect. Good luck with your transition. Oh and post a link to your eBay page for the rest of us still battling our addiction.
Post 2 IP   flag post
the bat books
Post 3 IP   flag post
Collector Absolute_Zero private msg quote post Address this user
Oh man love your bat books. My New 52 Batman is missing 2 issues but i have read the trades verses reading the issue for me. Will definitely be bidding on these amazing books.
Post 4 IP   flag post
Collector VillageIdiot private msg quote post Address this user
I'm flummoxed by this thread
Post 5 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Unless you are getting your trades for free and storing them in a pocket dimension, I really don't see the difference.
Post 6 IP   flag post
There is a big difference for me: I can keep the trade on a bookshelf out to be viewed or haphazardly on a floor if I don't feel like putting it away. As of right now I barely want to touch the comics for fear of damaging them.
From a cost perspective I am less likely to be buying random stuff which was always a risk going into a comic store. since I really have all the trades I want currently as I only read one title, I am set.
Post 7 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute_Zero
Oh man love your bat books. My New 52 Batman is missing 2 issues but i have read the trades verses reading the issue for me. Will definitely be bidding on these amazing books.
cool. well if you do bid on anything and win, just know it will be packed well. The thought of a book arriving damaged and it due to a preventable reason is uncalled for.
I am also very quick to ship, typically same day if at all possible and I don't do the print the label and wait a week to drop it off, which is also uncalled for.
Post 8 IP   flag post
COLLECTOR Wolverine private msg quote post Address this user
I will get the trade of a series if I love the story/art. I'll dip into my book here and there. I personally don't care what the grade on my issues are. It's a collection by me for me. But I can understand what you are saying.
Post 9 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageIdiot
I'm flummoxed by this thread

very simply: comics are cool but I want to read them and not worry about value decreasing from handling, so I sold the books I had and bought the trade equivalent.
Post 10 IP   flag post
Collector BrianGreensnips private msg quote post Address this user
@Oldbsturgeon I can relate. I had some Megos on card and not punched and Six Million Dollar Man toys that never have been played with still in box and the clothes were still on card. I was so afraid that I was going to damage them. Bought them from an old lady who had them in her basement. I was there working on her furnace. I kept them for only 6 month's. Made some profit and I was satisfied with that. Good luck selling the books.
Post 11 IP   flag post
Collector D84 private msg quote post Address this user
That's really just changing your mindset on it. If comics are not an investment, you don't worry as much about keeping them in perfect condition.
Post 12 IP   flag post
This may be a bit hard to explain it then. I don't have the ability to consider actual comics as anything but a collectible. I have always been this way with comics with baseball cards and really any other collectible item.The trade to me is a reprint of the collectible and therefore has no monetary value and is only for entertainment
Post 13 IP   flag post
Collector MR_SigS private msg quote post Address this user
Do modern sellers usually wait until their minty stuff is gone before trying to sell banged up copies?
Maybe you can look on the shelf for lower grade copies so you never have to worry about what reading does to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbsturgeon
I don't have the ability to consider actual comics as anything but a collectible.

Are 9.8s the only grade you'll buy?
Post 14 IP   flag post
I don't buy graded books but the one I had owned was that grade.
Ever since I was really little like 3 or so I cared about condition of my toys and their value based on their condition. I probably wasn't a fun kid to be around
Post 15 IP   flag post
Collector AndyRexia private msg quote post Address this user

Post 16 IP   flag post
If I could, I would. I swear. DrWatson private msg quote post Address this user
Comic books are meant to be read. It is insane to me that people are afraid to touch their books and read them. I have received plenty of 9.8s on books that were mailed to me from a subscription service, read once or twice, put in Mylars with backing boards, and stored for 25 or 30 years. It's insane, I tell you.

Post 17 IP   flag post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyRexia

It is a Friday thread so there is that, but no
Post 18 IP   flag post
598080 18 18
This topic is archived. Start new topic?